Emily Bishop longest running Coronation Street character

Comments

• davadsdavads Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    Exactly how I feel.

Forward ahead a few years and you'll find Fizz and Maria the new Emily - cushy number[/QUOTE]

bib::o:o

Wouldn't surprise me though!

The only time I have seen Eileen Derbyshire give an interview, was when she got her MBE. I'm surprised that she did that, as some "celeb" recipients have refused to speak to the press after getting a gong (let alone be filmed receiving it).

She was briefly interviewed in a tribute programme Granada made for Margot Bryant (Minnie Caldwell) in 1988. And I think she may have done an intro to a compilation video.
  • Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sean Tully has appeared in more episodes than Ena Sharples :(:(:(

Understandable due to he increase in weekly episodes but sad all the same :(
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I prefer Ken though.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly how I feel.

Forward ahead a few years and you'll find Fizz and Maria the new Emily - cushy number[/QUOTE]

bib::o:o

Wouldn't surprise me though!

The only time I have seen Eileen Derbyshire give an interview, was when she got her MBE. I'm surprised that she did that, as some "celeb" recipients have refused to speak to the press after getting a gong (let alone be filmed receiving it).

I recall seeing a brief Eileen interview on the Beebs long running deaf show See Hear when the actress playing her deaf niece joined the show.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Sean Tully has appeared in more episodes than Ena Sharples :(:(:(

Understandable due to he increase in weekly episodes but sad all the same :(

Did anybody ever mention Ena Sharples dying?

She would have been 114 now! :o
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree with the episode counts, there have been over 8000 in total

Emily 3,240
    Ken 4,105
  • BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chas Dingle
    Phil Mitchell
    Ste Hay

The misuse of screen time is obvious.

How these characters have more episodes than Eric pollard, Ian Beale and nearly Tony Hutchinson after all being original characters that have never left is beyond me.
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody notice her sister's married name is "Corrie"?
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Bill Roache hasn't actually left, surely he's still the longest serving cast member.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of time off neither of them have LEFT the show. This thread is about how many episodes or weeks they have been in. Regardless they have been in full employment from the start of their contracts.

If Mr Roach leaves (which he hasn't) then 4 -5 weeks later Emily would be the longest serving character.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    LOVE how Gail is #2 episode-wise. She really has caught Ken up the last year or so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the emmerdale one... Chas and Debbie have beat eric pollard by a mile and more... disgusting. Even val has more than Eric!
  • HomefieldsHomefields Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Brookside wrote: »
    Have you seen the emmerdale one... Chas and Debbie have beat eric pollard by a mile and more... disgusting. Even val has more than Eric!

I'm sure that can't possibly be right!! What's your source please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Turner 1982–2013 (31 years)
    2 Chris Chittell Eric Pollard 1986– (28 years)
    3 Clive Hornby Jack Sugden 1980–2008 (28 years)
    4 Stan Richards Seth Armstrong 1978–2003, 2004 (25 years)
    5 Sheila Mercier Annie Sugden 1972–94, 1995, 1996, 2009 (22 years)
    6 Paula Tilbrook Betty Eagleton 1994– (20 years)
    7 Steve Halliwell Zak Dingle 1994– (20 years)
    8 Frazer Hines Joe Sugden 1972–83, 1984, 1986–1994 (19 years)
    9 Ronald Magill Amos Brearly 1972–1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 (19 years)
    10 Kelvin Fletcher Andy Sugden 1996– (18 years)
    Mark Charnock Marlon Dingle 1996– (18 years)
    Jane Cox Lisa Dingle 1996– (18 years)
    John Middleton Ashley Thomas 1996– (18 years)
    Arthur Pentelow Henry Wilks

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068069/
    Forum Member

Ah, that explains it. IMDb doesn't have a complete set of cast lists you know. I doubt if that even accurately tells you the last ten years worth of appearances.

I would say with at least 90% certainty that Eric has appeared significantly more times than Val, Debbie and even Chas!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As Bill Roache hasn't actually left, surely he's still the longest serving cast member.

That is true. He has been in Canada.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homefields wrote: »
    Ah, that explains it. IMDb doesn't have a complete set of cast lists you know. I doubt if that even accurately tells you the last ten years worth of appearances.

I would say with at least 90% certainty that Eric has appeared significantly more times than Val, Debbie and even Chas!

Chas and Debbie I have a feeling would be in at least the top 5!

Eric will be the longest serving character in 4 - 5 years time!
    Forum Member
    As an example IMDb lists Alan as appearing 511 times. I think he appeared in almost double that in just his first ten years! I saw a list somewhere that had Eric as the character ranked 20th among the most seen characters of Emmerdale's first twenty years. That probably amounts to around half of the 873 that IMDb quotes for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder What Jack Sugden Gets?
    Forum Member
    Chas and Debbie I have a feeling would be in at least the top 5!

Assuming it to be a good estimate of the last ten years, then as well as Alan and Eric, you'd have the likes of Diane, Marlon, Lisa, Zak, Andy, Paddy, Sam, Viv and Betty not to mention Jack and more besides all higher than those two, I would think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chas and Debbie had a very long reign over the last 3 years and always end up with the highest count?
    Forum Member
    Chas and Debbie had a very long reign over the last 3 years and always end up with the highest count?

Precisely. What about the other 30-odd years. Those people I mentioned aren't far behind on IMDb, yet have all been on the show longer than those two. It stands to reason that if it's only broadly accurate to the last ten-ish years, then they aren't very likely to be in the all time top ten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jack and alan had a lot of time off towards the end of their lives.
    Forum Member
    jack and alan had a lot of time off towards the end of their lives.

Jack was active right until the end - it was only four months before his last appearance that they had the big 35th anniversary story and he was still very much involved in the fallout from that.

As for Alan, he had a very active 25 year stretch, so I don't see how that would reduce his standings compared to people who only became dominant at the start of this decade. Lucy and Charley have also had time out of the show when they had babies.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see Chas and Debbie in the all time top twenty, but I think at this stage top ten is a bit much to expect from those two when you look at the bigger picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I wasn't comparing them to charley and lucy.

I meant over all.