The Opposition

CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
Forum Member
What sort of Opposition will we now get?

Labour are probably stunned by the fact that the aren't popular, and whichever way they turn they will alienate a significant number of potential voters.

LibDems are in meltdown having been put back 45 years. They need to start from scratch.

UKIP/Greens just don't have the MPs.

SNP have a strong contingent, although they have people who were not originally expected to win, so they will probably have some loose cannons on their side as well

I'm not sure this bodes well for an effective opposition.

Unless the Tory Right become the de facto opposition.

Comments

• sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    What sort of Opposition will we now get?

Labour are probably stunned by the fact that the aren't popular, and whichever way they turn they will alienate a significant number of potential voters.

LibDems are in meltdown having been put back 45 years. They need to start from scratch.

UKIP/Greens just don't have the MPs.

SNP have a strong contingent, although they have people who were not originally expected to win, so they will probably have some loose cannons on their side as well

I'm not sure this bodes well for an effective opposition.

Unless the Tory Right become the de facto opposition.
    The tories don't have a massive majority. I think it will last but it might have to count on DUP support in the latter part of parliament.
    The opposition (labour and Lib Dem) will not be full steam until after the summer. The SNP will be interesting especially if Alex Salmond is leader.
    To early to call on by elections but I can see UKIP adding mp's.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Yes I can't wait till the first sitting, firstly because its the first time the Tories have had a majority in many years, secondly because Labour and the Liberals are defeated and it will be interesting to see what they have to say, and thirdly because the SNP (Alex Salmond) are going to spice things up.
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Sturgeon says, "the SNP are now the main opposition to the Tories in Westminster" :D:D:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32680698
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Yes I can't wait till the first sitting, firstly because its the first time the Tories have had a majority in many years, secondly because Labour and the Liberals are defeated and it will be interesting to see what they have to say, and thirdly because the SNP (Alex Salmond) are going to spice things up.

We'll be seeing a lot of Harman on Wednesdays at PMQs. She'll be asking all the questions that husband Dromey writes for her.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Nodger wrote: »
    Sturgeon says, "the SNP are now the main opposition to the Tories in Westminster" :D:D:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32680698

She was going on about how they are the third largest party now.