• Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TGI Friday? :D
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    And people wonder why he had Lewis Hamilton on as the main guest on TFI Friday...
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, good or bad?

:cry:
  • Options
    Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top Gear is finished now imo. Without Clarkson, May and Hammond hosting it, I can't it lasting now, but we'll have to see.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Anyone forgot that he did The One Show? And he wasn't good on it.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember when Noel Edmonds and Angela Rippon were the presenters, I've never liked Chris Evans as a presenter, had to switch off his Radio 2 show the other morning after about 30 seconds.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a Top Gear fan but I can see this being a huge mistake. I find the One Show unwatchable when CE is on it. There is something so try-hard and cringeworthy about him these days. Not sure what the BBC are thinking because I'm pretty sure he won't appeal to the Top Gear fanbase at all.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    He can't be any worse than that unfunny buffoon, Clarkson.

He just needs a couple of decent chummy sidekicks who know about cars.

And no women presenters who are trying too hard to be laddish. That would kill it for me.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have already created a thread here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082753
  • Options
    Joe PritchardJoe Pritchard Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    you have already created a thread here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082753

So. :confused:
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Top Gear is finished now imo. Without Clarkson, May and Hammond hosting it, I can't it lasting now, but we'll have to see.

As much as I detest Clarkson - Top Gear would have survived with him and ANY other two co-hosts (if indeed co-hosts were needed). No wonder the two muppets that are May and Hammond don't want to leave his side - they'd never survive without him.

May and Hammond know their onions, what makes the cookie crumble, when their bread is buttered and how many blue beans make five!:D Useless the pair of them!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member

As much as i don't like Clarkson even i have to admit that the 3 of them had a chemistry that is rare in TV and went a long way making the show what it was.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only good thing would have been if he'd left his R2 breakfast show to concentrate on this so I could have tuned back to R2 in the morning - but he's staying on that too. :(

I wish him well - but I shall not be watching it. He is not my cup of tea at all.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I detest Clarkson - Top Gear would have survived with him and ANY other two co-hosts

I agree completely, I just think Chris Evans couldn't be a worse choice. Of all the people who they probably could have chosen from why him! Plus it will make him more overexposed than anyone should be since he already has his radio 2 show and the One Show gig.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just surprised it didn't go to either Greg Wallace or Tim Wannacott.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care, but didn't Top Gear exist before Clarkson?
    If so, why would it fail to survive without him?
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care, but didn't Top Gear exist before Clarkson?
    If so, why would it fail to survive without him?

It was failing without Clarkson. That's why it got binned the first time. The new format was what saved it, and that was the baby of Andy Wilman and Jeremy Clarkson.
  • Options
    EvilsamEvilsam Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    ugh Chris' ego will be in overdrive. It's like the 90s all over again. how long before he drops the radio? (hopefully soon! ;p)
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree completely, I just think Chris Evans couldn't be a worse choice. Of all the people who they probably could have chosen from why him! Plus it will make him more overexposed than anyone should be since he already has his radio 2 show and the One Show gig.

Probably because he does at least have an interest in cars (and has an esoteric car collection, I believe) and is somewhat personable, even if he is not everyone's cup of tea.

It's a much better choice than some of the other rumours flying around
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he will be fine, Clarkson was boorish and what finished it for me was the fiasco over the numberplates in Argentina no amount of bbc "explanations" will convince me that wasn't deliberate. At least CE is genuinely interested in cars and not just flying around the world to take the piss on bbc licence payers money.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    CE is a pain in the bum and he ruined the R2 breakfast show. I never thought I'd say it but it was a sad day when Wogan left. :D
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    He can't be any worse than that unfunny buffoon, Clarkson.

He just needs a couple of decent chummy sidekicks who know about cars.

And no women presenters who are trying too hard to be laddish. That would kill it for me

Absolutely.

Should never have given them the vote.
  • Options
    ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not stand him in the 90's and when he got the Radio 2 show did not mind him for about a month but now!

All he does is talk about himself and how great he is it really is cringey with those side kicks just gushing over him I had to switch off.

TFI Friday was just boys tv the other night a really wank fest.

Glad he is on the driving show as I don't watch it never have.

He is a charisma free zone.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC need to quit whilst they are ahead with Top Gear rather than condemn it to a slow painful death. The show may of existed before Clarkson, Hammond & May but they became the show so it is impossible to re-create it without them. Chris Evans with his insipid presenting style is just guaranteed to turn previous viewers off like he has on other shows.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Absolutely.

Should never have given them the vote.
    I don't mind them voting, as long as they follow their husband's voting instructions, of course!

The thing that made Top Gear special was that it was basically three middle-aged pals doing daft, laddish things and having a bit of banter - even if most of it waas clearly scripted. The car stuff was almost incidental.

That will be lost if they introduce a female presenter. I'm sure they will do their best to make it look as though they are tight little group of pals, but by bringing in Suzy Perry (who was an annoying piece of eye-candy for sad geeks on The Gadget Show) or Jodie Kidd (who is a bit of a joke), it won't work. The show won't last long now.