Am I the only one..

Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
Forum Member
✭✭✭
who does not care about Kathy returning in Eastenders?

Comments

• AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No you're not. I haven't watched EE for years but after watching a bit of live week I did think about going back to it. However Kathy's return has put me off. I also know a lot of long time viewers who've stopped watching it for that reason.
  • storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm mixed on this. I've never watched Kathy in the soap, too young for that matter but then I think it might be nice to give Phil some air time that doesn't involve Sharon directly as such. I highly doubt Kathy was brought back for viewer purposes as unfortunately most people probably won't have a clue about her and it's been an awful while. Kathy's return adds nostalgia and DTC is known for bringing the show's history together.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

me, as far as I am concerned she is dead and that is it.
  • eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm intrigued as to why she was in hiding and what she's been up to, there are other stories going on now that interest me more.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care either.A character that was OK a long long time ago but one that belongs in that past. The actress is dire as well.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cant bring back people from the dead..

They tried it season 9 of Dallas (Bobby coming back from the dead) and it wrecked the entire series...
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,929
    Forum Member

They tried it season 9 of Dallas (Bobby coming back from the dead) and it wrecked the entire series...

Yes it did ruin Dallas credibility but the show still ran for 5 years post Bobby's return, also it is because it was all a Dream that ruined it not so much Bobby coming back as a years worth of story lines were erased or ruined.

If i had decided to bring Bobby back from the dead i would of had him come out of witness protection after the hitman who Bobby got arrested for murdering Ronaldo Marchetta and drugging Jenna Wade (pinning Ronaldo Marchetta's murder on Jenna) would of escaped Prison vowing revenge on Bobby for sending him down in the first place. Bobby would of been set to go in witness protection anyway but Katherine would of run over Bobby and Bobby would of 'died' in Hospital and they would of used it as a convenient way of keeping Bobby and the Ewings safe and making the hitman believe that Bobby was dead. Obviously a year later once Patrick Duffy decided to return it could of being revealed that the hitman had being killed by the Police or by a rival gang or something and Bobby was free to return to Dallas leading to Bobby contacting JR or JR finding out somehow leading to an emotional reunion for the Ewing brothers and the Ewings in general. Yes it would be far fetched but it would of been way better than it all been a dream and it would also of meant that a years worth of story lines wouldn't have to be scrapped.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,686
    Forum Member

No. For me she is an over-hyped character played by a below average actress. Hated her when she was in it before, hated her in everything I have seen her in since.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,948
    Forum Member

I am quite torn tbh. I love the Beales And this being a major storyline will mean they get plenty of airtime. The thing is, the show once had some great leading "mature" ladies who made the show. Pauline, Pat and Peggy are all gone, Dots airtime is minimal because of June's age and health. This has left a big hole and therefore they needed someone to come back to fill it. The problem is, Eastenders has killed off far too many of their big names off onscreen plus they needed someone who would still be relevant to today's audience.

Kathy is linked to arguably the best two families in the show and her return is going to make a big impact.

Yes all credibility has gone out of the window, that does happen in soaps. Maybe if they hadn't done it with Den and to a lesser extent Nick (although the circumstances of that was much different) then it wouldn't have been so bad as you could shrug it off as a one off event.

The thing is, I am not expecting too much from either Kathy or Gillian. Gillian has been away for fifteen years and has played other roles, so I don't think she will be able to step into Kathys shoes. And Kathy herself will be a different person, she's had a whole different lifestyle so you cannot expect her to be the same person who left Walford, although there will be many on here who will remember her from the old days and won't like it if she's different its enevitable at she will be.

So I am pretty much sitting on the fence until she returns full time.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Yes it did ruin Dallas credibility but the show still ran for 5 years post Bobby's return, also it is because it was all a Dream that ruined it not so much Bobby coming back as a years worth of story lines were erased or ruined.

If i had decided to bring Bobby back from the dead i would of had him come out of witness protection after the hitman who Bobby got arrested for murdering Ronaldo Marchetta and drugging Jenna Wade (pinning Ronaldo Marchetta's murder on Jenna) would of escaped Prison vowing revenge on Bobby for sending him down in the first place. Bobby would of been set to go in witness protection anyway but Katherine would of run over Bobby and Bobby would of 'died' in Hospital and they would of used it as a convenient way of keeping Bobby and the Ewings safe and making the hitman believe that Bobby was dead. Obviously a year later once Patrick Duffy decided to return it could of being revealed that the hitman had being killed by the Police or by a rival gang or something and Bobby was free to return to Dallas leading to Bobby contacting JR or JR finding out somehow leading to an emotional reunion for the Ewing brothers and the Ewings in general. Yes it would be far fetched but it would of been way better than it all been a dream and it would also of meant that a years worth of story lines wouldn't have to be scrapped.

It screwed the storylines royally - it limped along for another five years......but the credibility has gone...
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I am quite torn tbh. I love the Beales And this being a major storyline will mean they get plenty of airtime. The thing is, the show once had some great leading "mature" ladies who made the show. Pauline, Pat and Peggy are all gone, Dots airtime is minimal because of June's age and health. This has left a big hole and therefore they needed someone to come back to fill it. The problem is, Eastenders has killed off far too many of their big names off onscreen plus they needed someone who would still be relevant to today's audience.

Kathy is linked to arguably the best two families in the show and her return is going to make a big impact.

Yes all credibility has gone out of the window, that does happen in soaps. Maybe if they hadn't done it with Den and to a lesser extent Nick (although the circumstances of that was much different) then it wouldn't have been so bad as you could shrug it off as a one off event.

The thing is, I am not expecting too much from either Kathy or Gillian. Gillian has been away for fifteen years and has played other roles, so I don't think she will be able to step into Kathys shoes. And Kathy herself will be a different person, she's had a whole different lifestyle so you cannot expect her to be the same person who left Walford, although there will be many on here who will remember her from the old days and won't like it if she's different its enevitable at she will be.

So I am pretty much sitting on the fence until she returns full time.

I Agree, pretty much my feelings too, I apprehensive but interested too see the end result, tbh very few s/l on EE is taking my picking at the moment.

I've struggled for a few months to stay interested in the current batch of storylines and characters, I look forward too purely for it hopefully bringing the Mitchells/Beales back to the forefront of the show again after feeling like they're never in it, especially the Mitchells.

But I guess it very much a wait and see moment too tell if it bombs or not.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I never found her to be an interesting character, and I don't care about Ian and Ben anyway.
  • johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will see how it plays out
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member

Don't agree. It's a soap, not some HBO drama, as long as the death or cause of death (car accident for example) isn't shown on screen, i see no reason why people can't come back.

And as for using Dallas as your excuse, Seriously? That's a special case that's never been repeated and you know it.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very much looking forward to it