Options

Farce

CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
Forum Member
Sports like squash and baseball have spent years and plenty of money on trying to get into the 2020 Olympics.
They did this on the understanding that one sport would be voted out and a new one voted in.

However, wrestling was controversially taken off the list of core sports in February, but was allowed to lobby to be let back in.

Consequently, it went into the vote against baseball/softball and squash.
As expected, wrestling was voted back in. It seems the other sports have wasted time and money on a place which didn't exist.

STINKS :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably the right decision overall but I do feel sorry for sports like squash who were trying to get into the Games for the first time.

It will be interesting to see what the next IOC president does in terms of the sports programme in the future. You need to keep in the traditional sports but also refresh the programme as well. Personally I'd boot out the likes of Tennis & Golf & I'd also have serious question marks over sports like Table Tennis (which whilst it may be played in many parts of the world tends to be dominated too much by China at the top level). I seriously doubt any of this will happen.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I dont agree on Baseball, it got removed from the 2012 games, thats hardly spending years getting in. It only got as close as it did to reinstated because of the Tokyo vote yesterday and it being popular in Japan, otherwise it wouldnt have even got close

It was hardly a farce, there was a process to have wrestling removed and then it was shown to be the best option to its peers.

Squash is unlucky but its time will come
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    I am not sure squash will have its time.:(

I think the sport's administrators are not political enough. Wrestling is backed by Putin and the powerful Eastern bloc lobby and yes it has been in the Olympics since 1896 but it is an unwatchable sport in my opinion. Squash has made great strides to improve the spectator experience and it deserved to get in.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the continuing exclusion of squash from the Olympics inexplicable. It's a natural fit for the Olympics and it would immediately become the pinnacle of the sport.

That said wrestling really had to be allowed back in. It was only kicked out in the first place to send a message to it's governing body. It's a crying shame for squash that the political games meant that there was effectively no chance for them to get their sport admitted in this four year cycle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    It's a natural fit for the Olympics and it would immediately become the pinnacle of the sport.
    That will be the straw that breaks the camel back.

2016 will 2 more sports added in golf and rugby which are simply novelty tournaments, and not the pinnacle of the sport. It will really focus the attention on which sports actually fit in the Olympics. Football, and Tennis to a degree have survived in the Olympics despite not being particularly serious tournaments. With 2 more sports in that category, it will open up the debate.

And that will be Squash's chance.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    That will be the straw that breaks the camel back.

2016 will 2 more sports added in golf and rugby which are simply novelty tournaments, and not the pinnacle of the sport. It will really focus the attention on which sports actually fit in the Olympics. Football, and Tennis to a degree have survived in the Olympics despite not being particularly serious tournaments. With 2 more sports in that category, it will open up the debate.

And that will be Squash's chance.

I'm not a massive fan of football, tennis and now golf being in the Olympics but the reason they are there is because they are popular with sponsors, spectators and TV audiences - they bring in the money. European countries may not take the Olympic football tournament seriously but it is a major competition for Africa and South America.

Wrestling deserves its place as it is one of the traditional Olympic sports. I can understand the case for those who want squash included but I'm not sure it brings in the money and it isn't a great TV sport.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are wrongly thinking that the wrestling in the olympics will be what we see on WWE, TNA, WCW etc.

It won't be. It will be purely about the wrestling and nothing else.
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the Undertaker be there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a farce seeing athletes from Timbuktu, American Samoa, Bali and the Kayman Islands running the 1500 metres in over 8 minutes or the 100 metres in 23 seconds or throwing the javelin only as far as 25 metres in the Olympic stadium.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    It's a farce seeing athletes from Timbuktu, American Samoa, Bali and the Kayman Islands running the 1500 metres in over 8 minutes or the 100 metres in 23 seconds or throwing the javelin only as far as 25 metres in the Olympic stadium.

I believe the Olympics should be kept universal, even if that means having a few bad athletes.

On the other hand I don't get misty-eyed about these
    no-hopers like some people do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »

They're damned if they do, they're damned if they don't

If you don't give opportunities for the competitors from these nations to get media coverage, especially in their own country, then they'll never improve as a nation competitively. If you give you them slots, they get blasted for uncompetitveness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    I believe the Olympics should be kept universal, even if that means having a few bad athletes.

On the other hand I don't get misty-eyed about these
    no-hopers like some people do.

It ought to be impossble at championship level for anybody to be lapped in an 800 metre race and not even finished half the race (410 metres still to run) after everybody else completed the whole race.

And they get cheered like mad for turning into the home straight the first time around just before the rest are due to turn into the straight the 2nd time around in the olympic stadium as though it's a remarkable achievement like they are winning the race with 100 metres to go when they are not.

117 to 120 seconds to complete 390 metres of an 800 metres is ridiculously slow at championship level of the Olympics even if they do come from one of the non major nations.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    I don't know why they can't just add a few more sports and leave them in. Some things wouldn't put too much of a stress on venues and not like there aren't plenty of things going on all at one anyway.
    I think Golf is a mad sport to have in the Olympics but it's not going to affect anything else, just as football didn't. They can be held in existing venues away from the main park if need be.