Lg G4 (2015)

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
Forum Member
✭✭
Being announced globally on 28th April.

What we know so far:

Android 5.1
Snapdragon 808 processor (supports Cat 6 LTE)
5.5inch screen
QHD IPS 'Quantum' LCD display (1440x2560 resolution)
3GB RAM
16MP rear camera (inclusion of f/1.8 aperture)
8MP front-facing camera (inclusion of ultra-thin IR filter)
Dual-LED flash
User replaceable 3000mAh battery
MicroSD card slot
Curved back
Multiple cover/colour options incl. genuine (synthetic) leather

Teaser for the LG G4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZdWPqpVbEk

LG G4 picture leak: http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G4-leaks-in-all-of-its-glory_id68166

I fully expect this to rival the S6 and S6 Edge and possibly cost a lot less. So, anyone interested?

Comments

• GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Back-facing speakers *sigh*

Hope they improve on the shocking battery life on the G3. They had it made on the G2 but it went badly wrong with the G3.
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little concerned about SD808 and the 16MP camera.
    The adreno 320 in the G3 was not powerful enough for the QHD display, and the benchmarks of SD 808 indicate adreno 418 might not be much better.

Also I think the last time LG designed a camera was for the LG optimus g, and that camera wasn't of particularly high quality. A Sony chip may have been a better choice.

The display looks very promising, but I don't think the G4 anymore of a match for the S6/Edge than the HTC M9 is, simply because Samsung is dominating at the moment and the S6/Edge is fundamentally different to the S5, but the G4 and M9 are very similar to there counterparts, not to mention the size of the G4 is the largest out of all the current flagships.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thermal issues affected the LG G3 a great deal. It didn't take much to make it slow to a crawl. If you adjusted the CPU governers you could reduce or almost get rid of such issues, but most customers won't know how to - or want to risk the phone potentially running far hotter than is comfortable.

It seems Snapdragon 810 is far worse, hence why LG might be going for 808. That's crazy though. Perhaps Samsung was well advised to go with its Exynos solution globally.

Rumours say Snapdragon 820 will be very thermal efficient - more so than even Snapdragon 800/801 but that's going to be year end or the start of 2016. It could mean the G4 doesn't turn out to be as good as it could have been.

That will be a real shame, as I thought the G3 had real potential and could have restored LG's fortunes. In reality, I don't think it sold that well and was mostly purchased by people who are a bit more clued up, which isn't going to be volume sales.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Press conference at 4pm today launching the G4.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully a solid quality phone like the s6 unlike the g3 which felt very cheap.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the G3 looked and felt very good.Its this leather back that looks cheap to me not liking it at all,hope there are other options.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of other options. Not even sure why the leather back is what LG is using to promote the phone.

It's going to be all about the camera and possibly the new screen. Otherwise, it's essentially just the G3 (not that this is necessarily a bad thing).

The problem as ever is that the 2014 devices are still perfectly capable and most people won't be that blown away by the stuff coming out this year - as we're at a point in time when there's not much else to add to make something significantly different.

I do hope LG isn't planning to charge silly money like Samsung, with rumours suggesting they plan to charge big bucks.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im looking more and more at chinese phones particularly the Huawei P8.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is going to be on my phone list for when the contract expires on my Galaxy S5 really next year (would have gone for the S6, but not paying the silly price for the 128gb version when I can get a phone that accepts a memory card).
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the huawei p8 looks very promising. Just waiting for the release date.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Looks alright so far. Shame about the speaker placement though :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    G4, not bad at all! Specs are mostly what i put down in my original post.
    A 5.5-inch display with a Quad HD (1440 x 2560) pixel resolution. Six ARM cores with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor at the reins. 3GB of RAM and 32GB of expandable storage. An impressive, 16-megapixel camera with super-wide, f/1.8 lens, an LED flash with a color spectrum sensor sidekick, and a laser auto-focus system, along with a generous, 8-megapixel selfie snapper. Android 5.1 Lollipop with UX 4.0, and a 3,000 mAh cell. All of this encased within a body that can, for a price, be adorned by genuine, vegetable-tanned leather.
    victor mel wrote: »
    Available to pre-order now on Amazon £599 & released on May 28th.

So out in 4 weeks time then, not long to wait. £599 for the 32GB base model though? Pricey! On a par with the S6.

I have a feeling this camera might be able to top the S6. By all accounts the specs seem very impressive.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The G3 performance and battery life is absolutely fine on the latest firmware. The G4 looks like a nice bump in specs but it is a pity that it has increased in size and does not have wireless charging built in

Who pays attention to benchmarks in 2015? The S6 blows everything away and still lags. It is a pity though that Qualcomm got the 810 so wrong. Phones running it should be avoided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, SD810 is definitely a blip (well, hopefully, in that all the suggestions SD820 will be amazing turns out to be true).

The G4 is a step up, but losing wireless charging is a pretty major step back. I've now got many charging plates, including two Ikea lights with integrated chargers, and I think wireless charging may well 'take off' this year thanks to Samsung.

It's quite staggering that LG has supported it for so long, and has now taken it off.
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonmorris - when do we get to see your hands-on review? :)

I tried an L3 briefly a month ago, and wasn't at all impressed by the battery life, so will be most interested to see reports on that in particular.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Back-facing speakers *sigh*

Hope they improve on the shocking battery life on the G3. They had it made on the G2 but it went badly wrong with the G3.

My battery life was fine on the G3 from Lollipop.

Easily pushed a day and a half of normal use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miyagi wrote: »
    Jonmorris - when do we get to see your hands-on review? :)

I tried an L3 briefly a month ago, and wasn't at all impressed by the battery life, so will be most interested to see reports on that in particular.

You won't. I wasn't invited to the event - and LG hasn't even sent me a press release. I am very much out of the loop on this one.

The only consolation is that many other people weren't at the event yesterday either, which was a lot smaller than usual.

I wonder if LG will have the money to do the necessary marketing, including field marketing, to actually stand a chance of selling any?
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sim free 32gb model up for pre order for £499 from unlocked mobiles. I think i'll be cashing in my Galaxy note 4:)

http://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/sim-free-mobile-phones/lg-g4-sim-free-p-84815.html?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £500 is not a bad price. Far better than the £599 first stated.

Chances are, like the G3, the prices will fall soon after release too. I'd imagine you being able to get one for £420-450 fairly soon, making this a pretty solid deal - especially if the camera really is as impressive as LG is saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    Sim free 32gb model up for pre order for £499 from unlocked mobiles. I think i'll be cashing in my Galaxy note 4:)

http://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/sim-free-mobile-phones/lg-g4-sim-free-p-84815.html?

Clove UK also selling it for £500 for 32GB. You can get the tan leather option for £525, just an additional £25 which seems fair. Availability seems to be end of May.

If you buy the G4 included in the retail box will be a pair of LG Quad Beat 3 headphones. There is also wireless charging qi-enabled but you have to buy a dock for that i think.

When you think about it this is MUCH cheaper than the S6 AND much much cheaper than the S6 Edge.

Expect the price to drop too after a couple of months on sale and this makes it a bargain!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LG have released an official video showing off the capabilities of the camera which is one of the main highlights of the G4.

I like what i'm seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gksQYYDL0
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    LG have released an official video showing off the capabilities of the camera which is one of the main highlights of the G4.

I like what i'm seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gksQYYDL0
    Me too!
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camera looks impressive in these shots. Full manual mode and being able to shoot in RAW will appeal to enthusiasts.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G4-camera-test-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Apple-iPhone-6-HTC-One-M9-and-more_id68815