Options

If Rebel Heart hadn't leaked....

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
how well do you think it would be doing?

It left the U.S. Billboard 200 after ten weeks and dropped to #95 on the U.K. Top 100 last week in its twelfth week. The only major market that it’s still charting in is Germany. The album has sold an estimated 700,000 copies worldwide to date making it the third highest selling album of 2015 by a female artist. As good as this is, it proves how dire record sales are in the music industry. It has sold 72,000 copies in the U.K. and nearly 190,000 copies in the U.S.

I spoke to four fans on a Madonna forum last week who think that Rebel Heart would have been a big hit had it not leaked, but I don't really agree with them. It’s Madonna’s strongest album for ten years (that's the saddest thing about the leak), but some people forget that she’s not as popular as she once was. It's not like someone her age is going to sell 8.6 million copies of an album in seven months like 1989 by Taylor Swift. Of course, there’s no way of knowing for sure what the album would have sold had it not leaked, but I think it would have sold about one million copies worldwide, a good figure for a singer 32 years into her career. If you look back at Hard Candy and MDNA neither of them had a lot of stability on the Billboard 200 and the U.K. Top 100:

Hard Candy

Billboard 200

1-3-8-9-11-14-31-36-46-57-63-69-85-95-110-116-130-118-146-148-160-178-183-153-149-156-166-156-171-0-184

U.K. Top 100

1-2-5-7-13-22-26-24-20-24-14-10-15-16-18-23-28-31-35-35-29-39-51-56-67-89-111-130-159

MDNA

Billboard 200

1-8-18-34-45-65-77-81-105-140-94-142-181

U.K. Top 100

1-7-13-13-28-38-39-36-56-50-59-129-177-170-143-110-59-112-193

Even without a leak I doubt Rebel Heart would have altered a pattern that has been occurring since 2008. Madonna needs a hit single to sell an album, and Rebel Heart didn't have one. Plus, older artists rarely have stability on the chart with a new album. Rebel Heart will probably re-enter the chart when the tour starts (MDNA did), but the effect won't be very big.

Rebel Heart

Billboard 200

2-21-34-57-41-77-130-155-169

U.K. Top 100

2-7-21-22-28-41-37-40-40-70-75-95

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    How early did it leak? All albums leak early, it just varies on how early.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely if the album was any good the leak wouldn't have made any difference.

Iron Maiden's last album (who have been round longer than Madge) leaked weeks before the official release and that went to Number 1 in 28 countries - including the UK. And that album had a lot less hype and radio play than Rebel Heart.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »
    how well do you think it would be doing?

It left the U.S. Billboard 200 after ten weeks and dropped to #95 on the U.K. Top 100 last week in its twelfth week. The only major market that it’s still charting in is Germany. The album has sold an estimated 700,000 copies worldwide to date making it the third highest selling album of 2015 by a female artist. As good as this is, it proves how dire record sales are in the music industry. It has sold 72,000 copies in the U.K. and nearly 190,000 copies in the U.S.

I spoke to four fans on a Madonna forum last week who think that Rebel Heart would have been a big hit had it not leaked, but I don't really agree with them. It’s Madonna’s strongest album for ten years (that's the saddest thing about the leak), but some people forget that she’s not as popular as she once was. It's not like someone her age is going to sell 8.6 million copies of an album in seven months like 1989 by Taylor Swift. Of course, there’s no way of knowing for sure what the album would have sold had it not leaked, but I think it would have sold about one million copies worldwide, a good figure for a singer 32 years into her career. If you look back at Hard Candy and MDNA neither of them had a lot of stability on the Billboard 200 and the U.K. Top 100:

Hard Candy

Billboard 200

1-3-8-9-11-14-31-36-46-57-63-69-85-95-110-116-130-118-146-148-160-178-183-153-149-156-166-156-171-0-184

U.K. Top 100

1-2-5-7-13-22-26-24-20-24-14-10-15-16-18-23-28-31-35-35-29-39-51-56-67-89-111-130-159

MDNA

Billboard 200

1-8-18-34-45-65-77-81-105-140-94-142-181

U.K. Top 100

1-7-13-13-28-38-39-36-56-50-59-129-177-170-143-110-59-112-193

Even without a leak I doubt Rebel Heart would have altered a pattern that has been occurring since 2008. Madonna needs a hit single to sell an album, and Rebel Heart didn't have one. Plus, older artists rarely have stability on the chart with a new album. Rebel Heart will probably re-enter the chart when the tour starts (MDNA did), but the effect won't be very big.

Rebel Heart

Billboard 200

2-21-34-57-41-77-130-155-169

U.K. Top 100

2-7-21-22-28-41-37-40-40-70-75-95

Too much unnecessary information that noone cares about. First sentence would suffice. Though the other bit I suppose helped me to know this was about that old lady 😊
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't think anybody outside her fanbase cares anymore.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I just don't think anybody outside her fanbase cares anymore.

All of this :D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The unfinished version leaked in December I think

The finished version leaked late Feb
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe slightly better but not much.

It's the fans she caters for now and admittedly she has a lot of them but it just is what it is
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure it would have made any difference. Although most fans say it's a good album, I simply don't like it. The album isn't that good and that is why it's not selling.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would have made a difference. I listened to the album (deluxe) and while there are some good songs on it there's also a few crap ones as well. It's not a patch on masterpieces like Confessions or Ray of Light. If the album had a lead single that was a massive hit then it would probably have sold more.
  • Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait for Kylie's new material to die on its arse so we will have an end to the same weekly repetitive threads from Kylie fans listing all of Madonna's sales short comings. :D Isn't this the same thread that was posted last week, and the week before, and the week before that ;) LOL

Lets hope that karma tree doesn't shake too much eh!
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It’s obvious that Rebel Heart would have sold more copies had it not leaked, but I doubt it would have matched the sales of Partners by Barbra Streisand. Who would have thought that a 73-year-old singer who started her career in the early 1960s would outsell Madonna in the US, the UK and worldwide in 2015?

There’s no way Madonna will ever sell a million copies of a new album again in the US like Barbra Streisand has with Partners. Hard Candy hasn't sold a million copies, despite being released seven years ago, Celebration is certified gold because it's a double album (they count sales twice), and MDNA is certified gold because 185,000 copies came from the album/ticket bundle, that explains the colossal 86.7% sales decrease in its second week, the biggest of the SoundScan era. Madonna isn’t the only artist who has used the bundle, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t help her out enormously.

Sales have dropped for 99.9% of artists, but there’s still no denying that the US and the UK have lost interest in Madonna’s music. MDNA has only sold around 134,000 copies in the UK since 2012 so I doubt Rebel Heart would have had impressive sales even without a leak. In comparison Loved Me Back to Life by Celine Dion and Partners by Barbra Streisand have both sold over 300, 000 copies since they were released in 2013 and 2014. I’m not surprised that tickets for the Rebel Heart tour have been slow in Europe and North America.

I remember someone on here boasting that Madonna’s albums always hit #1 in the UK (Madonna, Erotica and Bedtime Stories didn’t). I bet they weren’t expecting a Sam Smith album that had been out nearly a year to beat Rebel Heart to the top spot. It doesn’t pay to be cocky.

EDIT:

I doubt Living for Love would have performed much better had the album not leaked. Madonna is no longer relevant on the singles chart. And I’m pretty sure Ghosttown didn’t leak, and that still flopped when it was released as the second single.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Madonna released a bunch of instant grat singles to iTunes in December, and again in January.

This is where it all ended up going wrong.

Madonna should've either done a Beyonce and released the whole album in December, or released Living For Love worldwide as a single in December. The hype of a new Madonna single getting released out of nowhere would've had the worlds media talking about it, generating attention to the song hence promoting the song.

This is why Ghosttown flopped so badly. When it was announced as the 2nd single, I'd guess that anyone who wanted the song already downloaded it back in December when it was first released as an instant grat.

What puzzles me is how Madonna's album leaked so easily yet Beyonce released an album with music videos for each track and nothing leaked. It was just released to iTunes and sold massively because of it.
  • Options
    BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    It’s funny that people call Kylie’s album X a flop because it only peaked at #4. It sold 82,370 copies in its first week and over 463,000 copies in total in the UK. Hard Candy by Madonna peaked at #1 but has sold 335,000 copies in total. Proves that chart positions are always everything. :D

The only way Rebel Heart will go gold is by shipments. It won't sell 100k for a while yet. Same goes for Kiss Me Once. Like I've said before, at least Kylie has a platinum album this decade like Celine and Barbra. The sales of Aphrodite make up for Kiss Me Once. What does Rebel Heart have? MDNA.
  • Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One account is more than enough. The fact you need THREE to post how bad Madonna's sales are really is desperate. I hope the mods finally sort this out. Its no wonder Madonna fans all quit this forum. I thought the homophobic abuse sent to one Madonna fan on here in private message was disgusting. At least that resulted in four accounts being banned. All belonging to the same Kylie fan user.

I will be here when Kylie's next release flops, I hope harder than Madonna's latest, and I can't wait to rub it in. Perhaps I too will start several threads a week on it ;)
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all this madonna v kylie bollocks is getting well boring, if you like madonna fine, if you like kylie fine. Sure there must be appreciation threads where you can take all this constant crap.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It’s funny that people call Kylie’s album X a flop because it only peaked at #4. It sold 82,370 copies in its first week and over 463,000 copies in total in the UK. Hard Candy by Madonna peaked at #1 but has sold 335,000 copies in total. Proves that chart positions are always everything. :D

The only way Rebel Heart will go gold is by shipments. It won't sell 100k for a while yet. Same goes for Kiss Me Once. Like I've said before, at least Kylie has a platinum album this decade like Celine and Barbra. The sales of Aphrodite make up for Kiss Me Once. What does Rebel Heart have? MDNA.

Please stop. Kylie's latest album flopped on its arse as well.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Has Rebel Heart really sold 700k so far? If so, i'm extremely impressed considering.

To be honest, I don't think the leak made much of a difference whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When Radio 1 refused to play Madonna's music at the beginning of the year, why didn't all of the people who defended her on Twitter and Facebook go out and buy Living for Love? That would have been supportive, but they didn't care about her or her music enough to part with 99p. I can't believe the song didn't climb any higher than number 26. She performed it at The Brit Awards, her fall made headline news, and she had an hour on The Jonathan Ross Show. Madonna had nearly three months of pre-orders as well.

Into the Blue by Kylie might not have been a big hit (it was at number 7 in the midweeks) but it still entered at number 12, so it's obvious a few people who watched The Voice bought the song. Other than The Voice Kylie didn't promote Into the Blue, she certainly didn't have a Brit Award performance (she didn't even perform on The Voice), headline news or an hour on Jonathan Ross to back her up. One thing that's never mentioned is iTunes deleted the single version of Into the Blue when it was at number 12, so the other version of the song had to climb from a lower position for the rest of the week. This is why it dropped from 7-12 on the singles chart.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    When Radio 1 refused to play Madonna's music at the beginning of the year, why didn't all of the people who defended her on Twitter and Facebook go out and buy Living for Love?

Going back to my earlier point, Living For Love was added to iTunes as an instant grat the week of The Brit Awards.

I suspect a lot of people who had already pre-ordered the album got the track instantly when LFL was added to iTunes.

That's why the record label should have released LFL as a stand alone single, not add it to the album as an instant grat. Anyone who had already pre-ordered the album wouldn't have been able to buy the song seperately. A bit like that U2 album, they automatically got the song without doing anything.

Ghosttown was a mess too. All those remixes and I still don't think they bothered releasing a remixes EP. It's as if they had already given up on the whole album by that point.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The Abbey Road Sessions by Kylie peaked at #2 and has sold nearly 200k copies in the UK. MDNA peaked at #1 and has sold 134k copies.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    The Abbey Road Sessions by Kylie peaked at #2 and has sold nearly 200k copies in the UK. MDNA peaked at #1 and has sold 134k copies.

Does that have anything to do with rebel heart or are you just trolling.
  • Options
    Paddy_McDoodlePaddy_McDoodle Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25/10/17 - 18:11 #23

It leaked in December shortly before Christmas, so she released the album for pre-order on the iTunes on December 20, with six songs available immediately for download and then went back into the studio with Kanye West to change the other songs. The album wasn't due for release until March the 6th.

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares.....you either like an artist or you don't, chart positions are totally irrelevant unless your trying to justify a reason to like an artist.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 25/10/17 - 19:29 #25
    I think with Madonna she has reached that point that all artists inevitably reach when they become a ''legend'' act. They can still obtain high chart positions, almost inevitably followed by big drops in the succeeding weeks. You can see this being the case from Hard Candy onwards. As for singles her time has come. She won't get radio let alone streams two important factors ind eciding positions. Is she irrelevant certainly not, she's like the grand dame of pop. She was one of very few artist let alone female artist to retain such high sales and domiance on both charts and pop culture for as long as she did.

So in answer to your question no, RH would have done what it has done no more no less maybe #1 in the US and UK but even then she wasn't beaten by stiff competition. She's just reached the inevitable has a high charting album, big tour and then end of era. It comes to them all Springsteen, Prince, Houston, Collins etc. And one day it will happen to Switf, P!nk, Perry and then the new crop will be usherd in.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 25/10/17 - 19:28 #26
    I think some day maybe a comeback.