Options

EE: Does Lola axing sound the death knell for others?

Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the decimation of the younger cast since Sam Strike's departure, does Lola's exit pave the way for a cull? Ben, Paul and the two younger Carters are of course safe, but with the likely introduction of Kush's brother and a hoard of Hubbard foster kids, do you think Fatboy, Jay and Whitney are next on the list??:o

Comments

• Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Fatboy is OK, but he's actually a lot better when in the presence of characters who he shares onscreen chemistry with. Donna, Martin, Kush and maybe Lee. Plus I think he worked well as Denise's toyboy during their little fling. Fats is way better than Dexter or Joey.

Jay, unfortunately, could be on the way out. He is treated as an afterthought a lot of the time.

Nancy, Tamwar, Lee, Rebecca, Ben, Whitney and Abi are all safe. I hope they keep Cindy.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember the moaning a few years ago about how there were too many young characters in the show :D
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Whitney's tie with Lee makes her safe. I reckon DTC sees them as the next Linda and Mick so providing DTC is around, I think Whitney will be too.

Fatboy works well in ensemble and while he still needs to shed the Fats persona, he's already transitioned into the adult group particularly now Martin and Kush are around. Equally with Shabnam now around and his link up with Nancy, Tamwar's not really in that youngster bracket and fits more in the 20-30's group.

Jay is the one in the most danger, I think. With Lola's departure, it's shown that being a Mitchell doesn't automatically make you safe and DTC could choose to hand JB a big exit storyline just as he did with Hetti Bywater.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the moaning a few years ago about how there were too many young characters in the show :D

I had that exact same thought earlier :D

to be fair Lola has barely been on screen since Ben came back. sad that she is going but they have never tried to do anything with the character since the lexi custody saga

she hasn't been missed this far
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    I think Whitney's tie with Lee makes her safe. I reckon DTC sees them as the next Linda and Mick so providing DTC is around, I think Whitney will be too.

Fatboy works well in ensemble and while he still needs to shed the Fats persona, he's already transitioned into the adult group particularly now Martin and Kush are around. Equally with Shabnam now around and his link up with Nancy, Tamwar's not really in that youngster bracket and fits more in the 20-30's group.

Jay is the one in the most danger, I think. With Lola's departure, it's shown that being a Mitchell doesn't automatically make you safe and DTC could choose to hand JB a big exit storyline just as he did with Hetti Bywater.

I like to think as Jay was brought in during the DTC and the Santer era he will be safe, they put Jay with the Mitchells when they could have left him with secondary characters Garry and Dawn. I know he axed Lola but I still think this is because he is making space to bring in Courtney and hopefully he sees Jay and Ben as part of the new Mitchell brothers.

Saying this Jamie Borthwick as Jay is so underused right now, I cannot remember his last episode or scene even that didn't have any relevance to Ben and Jamie is far to good to be a secondary character in this way. Jay used to have good relationships with Patrick and ermmm Shirley which have now been forgotten, he also hardly has scenes with Billy either.

I wanted Jay to have some scenes with Sharon over her searching for her dad, I think Shazza could take Jay under her wing but we've never seen anything like that. Its annoying that Jay cannot escape the Mitchell wing because he represents them from the male side as the most outgoing, everyday type of character that Phil and Ben aren't but at the same time he isn't treated like a bit of a joke like Billy is.

He would work well with Roxy I think but unless its a Mitchell family meal Jay never interacts with her or Ronnie either, it seems Jay's world is either Ben or Phil and he needs so much more!!
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the decimation of the younger cast since Sam Strike's departure, does Lola's exit pave the way for a cull? Ben, Paul and the two younger Carters are of course safe, but with the likely introduction of Kush's brother and a hoard of Hubbard foster kids, do you think Fatboy, Jay and Whitney are next on the list??:o

I think so. And sinxe johnny left inwouldnt class lee or nancy safe either.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so. And sinxe johnny left inwouldnt class lee or nancy safe either.

If Johnny came back with a new head I think that'd spell the end for Lee. He's really added NOTHING to the Carter dynamics & his relationship with Whitney is a bit MEH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    He would work well with Roxy I think but unless its a Mitchell family meal Jay never interacts with her or Ronnie either, it seems Jay's world is either Ben or Phil and he needs so much more!!

I'd love a cougar Roxy and Jay relationship! Imagine that coming out at Christmas dinner!?
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like the writing has been on the wall when it comes to Lola for a long time, it's just been pretty obvious to me that DTC and others just quite simply don't have any faith in the character, which is a shame because I've always liked her and thought that she had a tonne of potential. There's certainly others I would have axed much sooner and maybe like it's been said here that's going to start to happen.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay could be im danger unfortunately. What about Abi?? Temporary exit with Max??.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    If Johnny came back with a new head I think that'd spell the end for Lee. He's really added NOTHING to the Carter dynamics & his relationship with Whitney is a bit MEH.

I like Lee and Whitney together. Lee is a better character since he got with Whitney in my opinion. There are far worse couples on the square right now in my opinion. I couldn't stand Lee before he got with Whitney. It is nice to see a young couple like them still be together. The actor who plays Lee signed a contract not so long ago, so he won't be axed just now.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee is perhaps Whitney's best love interest since Todd Taylor in 2009. He was really underrated IMO.

Billie, Tyler and Joey were just meh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee is perhaps Whitney's best love interest since Todd Taylor in 2009. He was really underrated IMO.

Agree
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I cannot even remember Todd, but I agree with the rest.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would be a shame as I've always thought Jamie one of the better young actors. He just needs good, well scripted storylines but, as this is EE, that's obviously not going to happen.
  • Options
    Fallon9Fallon9 Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Jay is never given stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think we may well see Abi leave with Max following the fall out of the Paul/Ben/Abi story. Max and Abi will then leave to go visit Lauren, returning with her in 2016.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member

I admit to being someone who moaned that there was too many awhile ago, but now I feel that there is not enough focus on them :D

I just wish they were written better and focused on issues other than their sex lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I think we may well see Abi leave with Max following the fall out of the Paul/Ben/Abi story. Max and Abi will then leave to go visit Lauren, returning with her in 2016.

Definitely could see this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I'd love a cougar Roxy and Jay relationship! Imagine that coming out at Christmas dinner!?

lol!! :D
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same I would love this, it would give both characters a bit of much needed fun and Eastenders haven't explored an age gap realtionship for a while especially between a younger guy and older women. It seems Fatboy and Denise is now no more so a Jay and Roxy fling would be much needed for both of them.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lola dying would mean another misery storyline for billy