Options

Viewers will be able to control the different sound levels on programmes.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this initiative also include a setting to make adverts the same volume as the programme they're contained within?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Well, it could be integrated in certain equipment via a software update, but it would have to ensure that its being broadcast correctly, it would work if speech only came through centre and music through the rest because a box could control the levels of each individual channel that is being broadcast.

Exactly! I have no sound problems with any show via a 5.1 system, this shouldn't be removed because people have purchased a TV that doesn't down mix properly, because many peoples tvs will down mix properly.

Its like complaining to your ISP because the wireless card in your laptop doesn't work very well.

I think I might complain to my ISP if they changed to a completely new protocol that was incompatible with my equipment and I had to spend a couple of hundred quid on new equipment just as I am sure you might complaint if you found your 5:1 system was incompatible with the new 23:3 system that had been adopted and could not be upgraded.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Will this initiative also include a setting to make adverts the same volume as the programme they're contained within?

I hope so. I hate it when I'm watching a show and the sound is muffled and then the adverts come on and are so loud half the street can hear them >:( Why do the ads have to be louder than the programmes? Ofcom should look into that!
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so. I hate it when I'm watching a show and the sound is muffled and then the adverts come on and are so loud half the street can hear them >:( Why do the ads have to be louder than the programmes? Ofcom should look into that!

That's why they invented the mute button!
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They have done and they fined Granada ..... I seem to remember ...
    And this is what BCAP expects http://www.cap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-Consultations/Closed-consultations/~/media/Files/CAP/Consultations/AnnexAofevaluationnewTVadsoundlevelsrule.ashx

But soon R128 will apply to adverts as is has done since FD day (1oct) for programmes
    So we should be enjoying a greater dynamic range and less loud programmes .

See https://tech.ebu.ch/loudness
    And any delivery spec
    http://www.digitalproductionpartnership.co.uk/what-we-do/technical-standards/delivery-standards/
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor me, but If they keep it simple so that there's just an up/down button that effectively raises the middle channel and lowers the rest whilst maintaining the overall level, it would be good. Not perfect but good.'
    This is a common control on quality 5.1 audio processors - the ability ro raise or lower the centre channel in incremental steps of maybe 0.5dB at a time
    However, this isn't something the BBC can do on their own. It would have to be an international system that all programme makers, broadcasters and manufacturers agree to and implement. And it's not going to help with old shows recorded in mono or even cheap shows that can't afford multichannel audio production. If the BBC just do it themselves as a feature of the iPlayer, most people won't make use of it, especially if they're watching the iPlayer on a TV rather than a computer and have to go through clunky menus to operate it.
    Quite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »

I always use the mute button but sometimes my dad leaves the ads on when he's watching TV because he can't be bothered to put down his Surface tablet for a few seconds to get the remote >:( It does my head in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just point out that the whole production chain needs reworking to get the audio objects and the basic 2.0 or5.1 sound field..
    That is not easy .. And takes time.. Films for theatric release have time and can afford it ..
    TV hasn't and can't ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I always use the mute button but sometimes my dad leaves the ads on when he's watching TV because he can't be bothered to put down his Surface tablet for a few seconds to get the remote >:( It does my head in!

Does the surface not have an ir sensor, like phones and tablets to use an app to control the tv, no need to find the remote then.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    *I really quite dislike the trend of modern dvd and blu-ray releases to lack that stereo track, as it's cheap and something that does mean a lot of people potentially run into issues.

Therein lies the problem, and it's the producers' problem really, not something consumers should have to deal with. Same goes for TV, full backwards compatibility!

If they cannot include a stereo mix and a 5.1/7.1/whatever mix, stereo should have precedence, as it's what everyone can receive and listen to, probably a large majority of people too.

Some of us have no interest in surround sound, me for one, or even dislike it. Nice little earner for "the industry" though, that's for sure.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst is when the sound is low on Channel 4 on Freeview HD, usually films but programmes also sometimes. It can be so low that you have to turn the volume to maximum to be able follow the dialogue (or give up and switch to SD). It means that when the adverts come on you have to hit mute immediately or there is risk of damaging the speaker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Does the surface not have an ir sensor, like phones and tablets to use an app to control the tv, no need to find the remote then.

I'm not sure, but if there is such an app then dad should install it. Maybe there is such an app for Android as I could then control the volume :D
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    And DVRs ;):D
  • Options
    Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Don't most DVB-T2 stb's support 5.1 audio to some extent? could it be utilized this way, only mix the streams into 2 channel audio?
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC didn't say or even allude as to how they would do it. Perhaps this is commercially sensitive or subject to a confidentiality clause??

It's interesting to see the different ways that it could be done though.

POV gave two examples of what it would be useful for. These were the music that some found too intrusive on the nature programme where the baby birds had to jump off a high cliff and the drama that people complained about where they couldn't hear the dialogue.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember the names of the actual programmes :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC didn't say or even allude as to how they would do it. Perhaps this is commercially sensitive or subject to a confidentiality clause??

It's interesting to see the different ways that it could be done though.
    h:

The work that the BBC is doing is based on MPEG H see my earlier post...
    This from a year ago gives a over view and links to the white paper
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2013/11/the-5-live-football-experiment-what-we-learned

Actually the BBC and other broadcasters has been transmitting object audio , in simple terms an audio plus metadata on how it should be rendered , for over 14 years on the DTT platform...
    It's called audio description.