Options

What to do with old pc tower?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've kept my old desktop PC (Pentium 4 - 1GB RAM - NvIdia 7900GS) in storage as a ready to use back-up PC, in case this PC conks out completely.

If I decided to get rid of it, I would donate it to a local organisation who refurbish PCs for use in community centres (for job search etc.). I actually worked there for a while earlier this year when I was between jobs, and it was alright. Maybe there is such a place near you?
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying that HDD platters could withstand extreme impact from a large hammer?

They're suprisingly tough, same goes for the hdd case. Took a hell of a lot of beating from a lump hammer before it had much effect on. Even the platters are very tough, just managed to bend them slightly and that was just about as much damage I could do to it. Darn near indestructible.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

That looks like it does a great job, can I get one in PC World ?

Edit: on a more serious note if it uses an operating system after XP you could reinstall the OS and wipe free space, may be worth something.
  • Options
    Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Uh, why not just get an external enclosure for it and use it for backups?
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I know this is all about deleting the hard drive but what is the spec? Could still have some life in it yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I've kept my old desktop PC (Pentium 4 - 1GB RAM - NvIdia 7900GS) in storage as a ready to use back-up PC, in case this PC conks out completely.

If I decided to get rid of it, I would donate it to a local organisation who refurbish PCs for use in community centres (for job search etc.). I actually worked there for a while earlier this year when I was between jobs, and it was alright. Maybe there is such a place near you?

Thanks Ancient. I'm liking this idea and another about using it for storage. Next question, how do you I connect my old tower to my new tower to do this? Thanks all (even the not so useful suggestions)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found the piccies of what i'd do with an old system and theres one for pc/mac/*nix peoples as well http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/top-3-funniest-pc-beer-dispensers
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Just found the piccies of what i'd do with an old system and theres one for pc/mac/*nix peoples as well http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/top-3-funniest-pc-beer-dispensers

I think the top image would have looked more realistic if the right side of the level of the beer was further up.