Options

Choosing not to let someone out of a side turning

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
Forum Member
I arrived at a busy main road from a side turning this morning and the lane nearest me was at a virtual standstill but the other side was moving with gaps. I once again had a car block me off by pulling up fully across the side road I was wanting to get out of. If I know that the traffic is stopped just past a turning I stop just short to allow people through to the other lane. The driver did not seem to want to knowledge me and started picking their teeth and fiddling about in the cabin. Eventually they moved along and the car behind them let me out (thank you).

I was not late but I missed two/three goes of the green light because I was not let out. Is this a new driving method - not letting people out? I know things change with driving so thought I would ask.

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually leave a gap, but I never let anyone out if they are sticking their nose out into traffic. People who try to bully their way out get nowhere with me.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I arrived at a busy main road from a side turning this morning and the lane nearest me was at a virtual standstill but the other side was moving with gaps. I once again had a car block me off by pulling up fully across the side road I was wanting to get out of. If I know that the traffic is stopped just past a turning I stop just short to allow people through to the other lane. The driver did not seem to want to knowledge me and started picking their teeth and fiddling about in the cabin. Eventually they moved along and the car behind them let me out (thank you).

I was not late but I missed two/three goes of the green light because I was not let out. Is this a new driving method - not letting people out? I know things change with driving so thought I would ask.

Some drivers are either ignorant or just plain selfish if they deliberately close up a gap to prevent a car in a side turn pulling out when traffic is one long slow queue or at a halt.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always leave a gap in that situation and I think most people still do. Frankly, anyone who doesn't is a moron. What do they gain? Nothing! The traffic is stationary anyway.

If the driver was looking shifty they may have realised they'd done something stupid.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I usually leave a gap, but I never let anyone out if they are sticking their nose out into traffic. People who try to bully their way out get nowhere with me.

I pull out slowly into traffic. They'll stop, they're not going to just drive into you are they?
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eventually they moved along and the car behind them let me out (thank you).

I was not late but I missed two/three goes of the green light because I was not let out.
    If you were only one car right behind the first driver why did you miss the green light two / three times?
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    This is a massive bugbear of mine, it's so selfish and unnecessary. Usually they know they are wrong and sit staring straight ahead. Now I just push my way through, if I didn't I would be late every morning. That's not down to poor time keeping but down to the fact it can be a good 10 mins before anyone has the decency or sense to leave a gap on the roundabout even with the big KEEP CLEAR sign painted on the road. It's particularly annoying because I'm not even going in the same direction as them but around the roundabout, pushing in front of me doesn't get them anywhere any quicker.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So the queue of cars on the lane nearest you were stopped at a red light? Were you trying to turn left on to that lane, or right?

If left, how can you have missed several cycles of the lights? Presumably other drivers also failed to left you out? (Note that it's OK not to stop and let people join if you're moving and the lights are green. You stop when the lights turn red, otherwise it causes delays.)

If turning right, then again did no-one else leave a gap? The chap who was fiddling in his car probably made a mistake and was covering it up by pretending he wasn't aware (what else could he have done?).

(There is a very busy multi-cycle junction near me, which usually has a 3-minute traffic light cycle. There is a side road joining from the right about 20 metres before the lights, and the road layout is such that it is used by people wishing to jump the queue rather than joining it at the end. In that situation I don't let anyone in on red. And certainly not on green where any delay caused by the 'handshaking' dialog between two drivers would be enough for several cars to whizz through.)
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    fainéant wrote: »
    If you were only one car right behind the first driver why did you miss the green light two / three times?

Because I wanted to turn right and traffic was moving that way.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I pull out slowly into traffic. They'll stop, they're not going to just drive into you are they?

Not appreciated where theres a traffic island in the middle of the road and the car in the side turn through constantly edging out, reduces the the gap to danger levels. - Being the situation some drivers are subjected to on a certain busy stretch of the A21.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you can't win. I remember once stopping short of a side road on my left and then got beeped by the car behind because he/she wanted to turn into that road and I was holding them up.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »

So if someone had been patiently waiting for another driver to "do the right thing" and let him/her out, then decided to up the ante and slowly edge forward as they can see that they could sit there all day otherwise, you'd drive into them would you, or keep your hand on the horn to show the world that you really are a clown?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having driven most places (except London!), I found the worst was in Halifax, where drivers don't give way to anyone - not even ambulances and fire engines with blue lights and sirens going.

Maybe I'm just too polite and considerate to my fellow motorists................
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    So the queue of cars on the lane nearest you were stopped at a red light? Were you trying to turn left on to that lane, or right?

If left, how can you have missed several cycles of the lights? Presumably other drivers also failed to left you out? (Note that it's OK not to stop and let people join if you're moving and the lights are green. You stop when the lights turn red, otherwise it causes delays.)

If turning right, then again did no-one else leave a gap? The chap who was fiddling in his car probably made a mistake and was covering it up by pretending he wasn't aware (what else could he have done?).

(There is a very busy multi-cycle junction near me, which usually has a 3-minute traffic light cycle. There is a side road joining from the right about 20 metres before the lights, and the road layout is such that it is used by people wishing to jump the queue rather than joining it at the end. In that situation I don't let anyone in on red. And certainly not on green where any delay caused by the 'handshaking' dialog between two drivers would be enough for several cars to whizz through.)
    The lane with the car that was blocking sounds like it didn't move during the light changes but the other lane that the op needed into was moving and they could have gotten into it easily during a red light had a gap been left. I think...,
  • Options
    Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member

Don't be so sure of that.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other side of the coin, of course, is if you've been edging forward six feet at a time in a three-mile queue and some guy drives up from a side-turning and gets annoyed because no-one's let him out after five whole seconds :-)
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course they will, they are not paying enough attention to leave a gap at a junction, roundabout or don't have the sense to leave a gap then they will most likely take the front of your car off and you will be 100% liable. You also will most likely be blocked by other drivers as they think you are trying to push in.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always try and let one out, if everyone does that it's no bother and traffic still moves fairly quickly.

If they're waiting to get through and there's a gap behind me I'll usually not let them out.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, what I'm saying is that if people wait behind the stop line and make eye contact with me, I'll happily let them in. But I'm blowed if I'll accept them just nosing out in front of me. I hope you saw my earlier post in which I said that I usually leave a gap for side-road traffic..
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nice to be nice but if I'm late for work unfortunately I won't be letting anyone out of any side roads.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    The other side of the coin, of course, is if you've been edging forward six feet at a time in a three-mile queue and some guy drives up from a side-turning and gets annoyed because no-one's let him out after five whole seconds :-)

Yup.

Every road junction is different, and drivers who do the same journeys on a regular basis will tend to know how things usually play out. For example, there's a junction I regularly use which operates best if you do move forward and block the exit; leaving a gap behind in order to let vehicles turn into the side road. If you leave a gap wide enough for vehicles entering and exiting the side road, you can then find yourself pretty much stuck because as soon as the traffic shuffles forward, someone pulls out of the side road, joins the back of the queue, and you can't move forward because you'd then block traffic trying to turn into the side road! The "unwritten rule" is that your first opportunity to exit the side road is behind the car parked across the exit, and it works really well ... 99% of the time!

Of course, you do occasionally get the "Moses" drivers who expect the traffic to instantly part in front of them. Somewhat amusingly, the other "unwritten rule" is that if some dick tries to muscle his/her way out, the car which stopped across the exit pauses for a moment when the traffic starts to move, thereby allow the following vehicles to close the gap. The whole queue then carries on, with the last one again blocking the exit! As such, "Moses" has to wait even longer! :D

Common courtesy works both ways, and it amuses me when someone thinks it's fine for them to force their way into traffic, but they get all sniffy if someone else forces them to *$£* off and wait a few seconds longer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just brain dead and couldn't care less about anyone else.

Sometimes it's the only way and I do it as well. ;-)
  • Options
    london79london79 Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I always try and leave a gap and get evil looks from the car behind wondering why I have not moved forward.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    It's nice to be nice but if I'm late for work unfortunately I won't be letting anyone out of any side roads.

Ahh, so you're one of those ********s that we see on the roads?
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member

It is annoying - I'm rather a conscientious driver in that respect in that when I am on the main road - I would let a driver such as yourself out (especially as there is no particular hurry with a backlog of traffic ahead).

What is even more annoying though is when someone wants to turn into the side road that you are trying to get out of - and they won't let you out first! I usually position myself as far over to the right (as near to the line as possible - if not on it) so as to make it as difficult as possible for them to get in!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to remember the selfish Audi drivers