A History Of Horror With Mark Gatiss... Coming soon to BBC Four.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
Forum Member
This looks like it could be a good series to watch. :D

Mark Gatiss celebrates the horror film in a new three-part series for BBC Four.

Mark begins his exploration of the genre by looking at the golden age of Hollywood horror of the Thirties and Forties and examines some iconic pictures directed by Englishman James Whale (Frankenstein, The Old Dark House and Bride Of Frankenstein), who lent the films a camp sensibility, and populated them with a largely British ex-pat cast.

The second episode concentrates on the complete reinterpretation of the genre. In the 1958 remake of Dracula, the original vampire with heavy face and foul breath was gone and along came the Byronic Count in the shape of Christopher Lee, a bloodsucker of almost gentlemanly proportions. It was at this time that horror films turned from black and white to colour and began to feature an element of sex, tapping into an increasingly permissive society.

The last programme in the series explores the gritty and graphic new wave of horror cinema from Night Of The Living Dead in 1968 to the movie Halloween ten years later, the first of the great slew of slasher films which were to dominate the next decade. Mark details the shifts in the horror genre, and meets leading film-makers from the era.

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This looks like it could be a good series to watch. :D

Mark Gatiss celebrates the horror film in a new three-part series for BBC Four.

Mark begins his exploration of the genre by looking at the golden age of Hollywood horror of the Thirties and Forties and examines some iconic pictures directed by Englishman James Whale (Frankenstein, The Old Dark House and Bride Of Frankenstein), who lent the films a camp sensibility, and populated them with a largely British ex-pat cast.

The second episode concentrates on the complete reinterpretation of the genre. In the 1958 remake of Dracula, the original vampire with heavy face and foul breath was gone and along came the Byronic Count in the shape of Christopher Lee, a bloodsucker of almost gentlemanly proportions. It was at this time that horror films turned from black and white to colour and began to feature an element of sex, tapping into an increasingly permissive society.

The last programme in the series explores the gritty and graphic new wave of horror cinema from Night Of The Living Dead in 1968 to the movie Halloween ten years later, the first of the great slew of slasher films which were to dominate the next decade. Mark details the shifts in the horror genre, and meets leading film-makers from the era.

Any info on when it will be shown??
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that - sounds very interesting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Any info on when it will be shown??

Nope sorry!:(

I copy and pasted everything it had on the BBC coming soon page for it.
    Using logic I would say over the Halloween weekend perhaps.
  • spearmintspearmint Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it. - Thanks.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Mark kermode is spitting feathers .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Part one airs 9pm BBC4 on Monday 11th October followed at 10pm by a screening of the classic Bride of Frankenstein.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet Mark kermode is spitting feathers .

One can only hope so as I can't stand Mark Kermode
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    One can only hope so as I can't stand Mark Kermode
    I like him as a film journalist - he knows his stuff, but on Radio 5 he's virtually unlistenable. Too self-regarding by half.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, looking forward to this. Thanks for the heads up.
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds great but i'm lost for words after reading people don't like Kermode! I remember a fantastic American programme about horror films one year , anyone remember it? The clips were fab and it was made in the mid 2000's?

Just remebered that it was probably "The American Nightmare"

I do like horror films but never feel scared by them , just real life:o
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    Sounds great but i'm lost for words after reading people don't like Kermode! I remember a fantastic American programme about horror films one year , anyone remember it? The clips were fab and it was made in the mid 2000's?

Just remebered that it was probably "The American Nightmare"

I do like horror films but never feel scared by them , just real life:o

It is indeed good, a fairly studious essay jam-packed with great footage. It gained some minor notoriety for BBC2 broadcasting an unedited version, containing footage which the BBFC had cut from a DVD release (Last House On The Left - it's since been passed uncut, but in the meantime the BBC made the relevant edits to American Nightmare for their repeat showings).
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    It is indeed good, a fairly studious essay jam-packed with great footage. It gained some minor notoriety for BBC2 broadcasting an unedited version, containing footage which the BBFC had cut from a DVD release (Last House On The Left - it's since been passed uncut, but in the meantime the BBC made the relevant edits to American Nightmare for their repeat showings).

I remember wondering at the time why it had so many graphic clips in! I caught it by mistake one late night while in bed.
    The BBFC have made some strange cuts in the past I hope the BBC shows the programme again with the cuts restored. My memory is awful so I can't remember much about the content or the year it was on:o
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for letting me know, will look out for that programme.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    More info on the programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vcwm7
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bump. On tonight BBC4 9pm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like him as a film journalist - he knows his stuff, but on Radio 5 he's virtually unlistenable. Too self-regarding by half.

The phrase I would use is "up himself"
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Off topic but i'd rather see him hosting the Film show rather than Winkeman.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the bump.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching later on as I'll be recording Spooks & Horizon at 9... once Only Connect finishes. Monday night's TV is much too good.

I fear though there may well be nothing new in this series, but I hope not. I've read the press releases and each show looks as though it will be dealing with the 'usual suspects': Universal B&W, Hammer & then the 1970s ending with Halloween in 1978. There's certainly no mention therein of either Mario Bava or Drio Argento (and it's probably an impossibility to expect Jean Rollin or Jess Franco to get even a mention). If so, then it will be disappointing for this viewer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drew_M wrote: »
    I'll be watching later on as I'll be recording Spooks & Horizon at 9... once Only Connect finishes. Monday night's TV is much too good.

I fear though there may well be nothing new in this series, but I hope not. I've read the press releases and each show looks as though it will be dealing with the 'usual suspects': Universal B&W, Hammer & then the 1970s ending with Halloween in 1978. There's certainly no mention therein of either Mario Bava or Drio Argento (and it's probably an impossibility to expect Jean Rollin or Jess Franco to get even a mention). If so, then it will be disappointing for this viewer.

Tenebrae is on the Horror Channel (Sky 319) at 10:55PM Friday night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Off topic but i'd rather see him hosting the Film show rather than Winkeman.

From what I've seen of him over the years he seems to suffer from the same afflication as most critics ie "My opinion is the only one that counts and thus is far more important than yours"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a wonderful programme! I really wish the BBC would make more shows like this - their Film Noir season with documentary was also absolutely excellent.

I would not have had a clue this programme was on if not for the OP, so thanks for bringing it to attention with this thread. Why don't the BBC advertise these programmes more? I bet many more people would watch if they had a clue they were on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Ditto what Lilly Rose has said.

Looking forward to next week's programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenebrae is on the Horror Channel (Sky 319) at 10:55PM Friday night

It's good they're showing Tenebrae - don't think it gets shown much. Suspiria is really the only one that gets an outing. Looking forward to the blu-ray release of Tenebrae to add to Suspirai & Inferno + the other forthcoming releases.

Hopefully I will now be able to watch tonight's programme earlier than I thought, at the time of the repeat transmission. From the above comments, it seems to have been OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Thought it was a wonderful programme! I really wish the BBC would make more shows like this - their Film Noir season with documentary was also absolutely excellent.

I would not have had a clue this programme was on if not for the OP, so thanks for bringing it to attention with this thread. Why don't the BBC advertise these programmes more? I bet many more people would watch if they had a clue they were on.

BBC4 in particular suffers terribly from lack of publicity by the BBC itself. A BBC4 programme about horror probably ranks as low as it gets in terms of media-promotability. Sad but true.