"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    WHAT the hell are people moaning about???? Come on people.... >:(

STV created " Missing" with Gregor Fisher" in 2006. ITV HAVE NEVER shown it and STV got fed up and pushed it out in 2008. >:(

Oh look what I found: [url]Http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=925350[/url]

The hatered is now blinding people...

Well I/we stand corrected on "Missing"!

But when you said (recently) that "In search of Robert Burns" was a "pile of gash" can we take it you have hatred for STV too? :confused:

Anyway, it's not a general hatred of STV - just expressing an opinion (in a forum) like you have done over certain programmes. I/we are just disappointed that this once strong broadcaster is now reduced to churning out animal programmes, remakes of a game show and err.. not much else - in other words a pale shadow of its former self. Whilst I enjoyed Weir's Way (with David Hayman) where are the big dramas and other strong programmes? They still have zero respect for the viewers with no announcements and are still not showing certain shows/films - and as for the local STV channels - just an excuse to show old repeats (why not call it STV2? - oh no that wouldn't have hoodwinked OFCOM like the local channels have done....)
    kezo wrote: »
    Good god someone is over reacting - and what "hatred" are you speaking of? I guess sensible discussion has gone out of the window I take it then (rolls eyes)

If you cared to look I mentioned that the Drama channel had recently repeated it UK wide compared to the STV "locals"

Hatred is pretty much a strong word to use anyway - if you remember this is a general discussion on STV. I don't hate STV but I wish the channel would buck up its ideas than produce utter garbage for Scotland and actually got its fingers out its backside and produced half decent dramas/programming not only for Scotland but for ITV and other UK networks/worldwide, but I forget the channel only cares more about making profits and its shareholders than the viewer itself (deary me ... what a society we now live in)

Exactly.
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Anyway, it's not a general hatred of STV - just expressing an opinion (in a forum) like you have done over certain programmes. I/we are just disappointed that this once strong broadcaster is now reduced to churning out animal programmes, remakes of a game show and err.. not much else - in other words a pale shadow of its former self. Whilst I enjoyed Weir's Way (with David Hayman) where are the big dramas and other strong programmes? They still have zero respect for the viewers with no announcements and are still not showing certain shows/films - and as for the local STV channels - just an excuse to show old repeats (why not call it STV2? - oh no that wouldn't have hoodwinked OFCOM like the local channels have done....) .

This is more like it.

I also agree the once strong STV is down in the dumps and some of its programmes "In search of Robert Burns" was a "pile of gash" But It just seems people have having ago at everything, Missing was broadcast. etc . Alas the Local channel is actully doing far better then most of the other Local channels in the UK. Once Sandy ross left it started to go down hill, and alot of good shows were lost.

I do agree STV should be given us better scottish shows, It cant cost that much. I still think the Hour had a chance, but needed alot of work. .
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is more like it.

I also agree the once strong STV is down in the dumps and some of its programmes "In search of Robert Burns" was a "pile of gash" But It just seems people have having ago at everything, Missing was broadcast. etc . Alas the Local channel is actully doing far better then most of the other Local channels in the UK. Once Sandy ross left it started to go down hill, and alot of good shows were lost.

I do agree STV should be given us better scottish shows, It cant cost that much. I still think the Hour had a chance, but needed alot of work. .

But wait a minute .... I don't have STV Dundee (luckily) but the schedule on both STV Glasgow/Edinburgh is nearly the same .... example High Road what is "local" other than news and a LIVE show from ie the Clyde or in Edinburgh's case possibly a bridge? So if Dundee gets one of the STV "locals" launching what am I getting the same basic schedule that you lot get on the central belt/west coast? That ain't local that is really a "sneaky" knock off channel as MrSirs points out a S2/STV2 channel, no wonder OFCOM can't be assed with looking into these channels they are more than happy throwing the licences out but hardly reviewing the channels output, but again we all know this is STV and OFCOM possibly can't be that bothered these days but allow this lot do what they like

Since the merge in my opinion of Grampian and Scottish TV I feel that there is hardly "local" output for us in the North East apart from news - STV's own programming seems more catered for the west coast/central belt than anything more (watch Nightshift they seem more keen to highlight STV's own shows but I have rarely seen anything from Grampian, I presume that archived is locked in a basement somewhere??

As previous mentioned I have said that this lot need to make half decent programming/dramas to SELL to other networks in UK and worldwide as well as take on risks (if you look at ITV they seem at least willing to take risks on shows/programming, if the programme fails they try something else (apart from their revival tour) but with STV its basic cheap programming ie Nightshift or a la Scottish Passport (do you really think the UKTV network will show that?? I doubt it) STV is just an embarassment it needs to be more "Scottish" than be one sided on its output (excluding ITV programming) as its a channel that appears more in my mind as if everyone that stays in Scotland lives in Glasgow and we all have that "twang" :confused:
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard the Nightshift is going back to 7 days a week. I hope new clips appear.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If STV want a cheap programme during the night why dont they are STV Glasgow/ Edinburgh shows e.g

Thursday nights

12.05am Peter and Roughie's football show
    12.35 Scotland Tonight
    1.05 The Riverside Show
    2.35 The Fountain bridge show
    4.05 Take the High Road
    4.35 Weirs Way
    4.50 10 min filler
    5.00 itv nightscreen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard the Nightshift is going back to 7 days a week. I hope new clips appear.

If thats true .... STV have sunk a new low (again), must be needing the money to keep it going - why not have some programming during the night? Sky and Channel 4 at least have guts to run during the night whilst others just jump ship - why not just bring back the testcard save the bother
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But wait a minute .... I don't have STV Dundee (luckily) but the schedule on both STV Glasgow/Edinburgh is nearly the same .... example High Road what is "local" other than news and a LIVE show from ie the Clyde or in Edinburgh's case possibly a bridge? So if Dundee gets one of the STV "locals" launching what am I getting the same basic schedule that you lot get on the central belt/west coast? That ain't local that is really a "sneaky" knock off channel as MrSirs points out a S2/STV2 channel, no wonder OFCOM can't be assed with looking into these channels they are more than happy throwing the licences out but hardly reviewing the channels output, but again we all know this is STV and OFCOM possibly can't be that bothered these days but allow this lot do what they like

Agree, these channels are like a singular "STV 2". Not two separate independent channels. Edinburgh is a simulcast of Glasgow with an opt out for localised news and advertising spots - same as the main STV.

They can have multiple incarnations running fairly easily as they have the existing infrastructure in place and facilities in other cities. Makes perfect sense. They aren't starting out from scratch like London Live and the rest. If not for this - these channels would likely have struggled by now.

Regardless, the live daily magazine show - the purpose of such channels - has never been a top ten BARB rated show AFAIK with audiences of zero to a few thousand. I can see these be scaled back in due course.

Sunday's channels are running a "best of" for six hours from 6pm. Main weekend viewing given over to a compilation of repeats, which is repeated itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, these channels are like a singular "STV 2". Not two separate independent channels. Edinburgh is a simulcast of Glasgow with an opt out for localised news and advertising spots - same as the main STV.

They can have multiple incarnations running fairly easily as they have the existing infrastructure in place and facilities in other cities. Makes perfect sense. They aren't starting out from scratch like London Live and the rest. If not for this - these channels would likely have struggled by now.

Regardless, the live daily magazine show - the purpose of such channels - has never been a top ten BARB rated show AFAIK with audiences of zero to a few thousand. I can see these be scaled back in due course.

Sunday's channels are running a "best of" for six hours from 6pm. Main weekend viewing given over to a compilation of repeats, which is repeated itself.

I thought "local" channels were meant to be about the area and things like that? What is the whole point in repeating back catalogue of the broadcasters programming - beats the point!

When Dundee had a local Channel 6 it featured music/Rhubarb and Custard as well as local ads (unsure of who funded it) it lasted maybe a year and closed, if I compare this to STV's "local" the only output really is a LIVE show from area and basically news the rest is their archive - If Dundee got its local from STV I would at least expect Grampian programming not Scottish TV programming if they wanted to repeat that stuff but since looking at their versions in Edinburgh/Glasgow then god help us it'll be another simulcasting channel but with the brand being STV (area of choice)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    If STV want a cheap programme during the night why dont they are STV Glasgow/ Edinburgh shows e.g

Thursday nights

12.35 Scotland Tonight
    1.05 The Riverside Show
    4.05 Take the High Road
    4.35 Weirs Way
    4.50 10 min filler
    5.00 itv nightscreen

What be the point in this? Throw in their local output onto the main channel? You do realise STV still haven't aired missed shows from ITV why can't they put them on during the night to catch up?

As for 10 min filler I assume you mean the never ending repeats of Scottish Passport Shorts and all things Scottish they have as highlights? If you look at ITV they have no fillers on their schedule so how does STV get away with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is more like it.

I agree with a lot of what you say! Although it may come across as me detesting STV I would like to see them get back to being a national broadcaster we can be proud of, as said not some pale shadow of their former self - it's frustrating, annoying and quite sad to see where they are now.

Oh dear. Funnily enough (well it wasn't funny!) I caught 15 mins. of it just after midnight last night - the picture quality was so dated (yet only from the 1980s judging by the styles) it looked as if someone had smeared Vaseline over the camera lens! And we couldn't hear a thing - because there was no sound (either on 3 or 33) during the duration of the interview with Johnny Beattie, Andy Stewart & Lulu (all on the couch)! Amateur hour again! :(

Thursday nights

12.35 Scotland Tonight
    1.05 The Riverside Show
    4.05 Take the High Road
    4.35 Weirs Way
    4.50 10 min filler
    5.00 itv nightscreen

I think this is at least better than what they are doing just now.
    If thats true .... STV have sunk a new low (again), must be needing the money to keep it going - why not have some programming during the night? Sky and Channel 4 at least have guts to run during the night whilst others just jump ship - why not just bring back the testcard save the bother

One solution could be running a schedule as above (although I know you are not keen on that being done) - at least it would be better than the turgid NIGHTSHI(F)T output we have at the moment.

I thought "local" channels were meant to be about the area and things like that? What is the whole point in repeating back catalogue of the broadcasters programming - beats the point!

When Dundee had a local Channel 6 it featured music/Rhubarb and Custard as well as local ads (unsure of who funded it) it lasted maybe a year and closed, if I compare this to STV's "local" the only output really is a LIVE show from area and basically news the rest is their archive - If Dundee got its local from STV I would at least expect Grampian programming not Scottish TV programming if they wanted to repeat that stuff but since looking at their versions in Edinburgh/Glasgow then god help us it'll be another simulcasting channel but with the brand being STV (area of choice)

When STV announced the local Glasgow channel I thought that sounds promising - a local channel with news, views, opinion, what's happening/events etc... etc... all about/around Glasgow. As viewing figures show maybe people can source this quicker elsewhere now (online) and so maybe the channel is 20 years too late.

Whatever the reason it is as said before a glorified STV2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from all this I wonder just what exactly has been networked by ITV from STV in recent (5?) years? Very little!

Animal 999 hasn't been taken by anyone else, Moviejuice the same - 2 cheap programmes trotted out, Scottish Passport - name kills this stone dead, and it looks like that has been buried again anyway as it's never reappeared, any other news/current affairs progs. are Scotland specific so no joy there, Weir's Way with David Hayman - good idea and I liked it but wonder how saleable this would be if viewers outside Scotland don't remember/relate to Tom Weir, The Hour - could have been reimagined/overhauled and might have worked but outside Scotland - no chance...

That leaves - Catchphrase remake - cheap to produce, anything else? Was Missing the last "big" drama? Think STV might produce some kind of auction/antiques show that airs on the BBC but I cannot think of anything else... :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So here we go again with the STV OPT OUTS for the week ahead:-

SAT. 14TH:-
    STV - NIGHTSHIFT (ITV - Gambling/Jeremy Kyle/Nightscreen).

SUN. 15TH:-
    STV - NIGHTSHIFT/NIGHTSCREEN (ITV - The Store/Jeremy Kyle/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

MON. 16TH:-
    STV - MY NEW HAIR - NEW (Documentary about women's wigs) (ITV - More Tales From Northumberland - new series) - primetime.
    STV - SCOTLAND TONIGHT/NIGHTSHIFT/NIGHTSCREEN (ITV - Kyle Files/Gambling/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

TUE. 17TH:-
    STV - As Monday (ITV - Film: Carry On Girls/Gambling/Loose Women/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

WED. 18TH:-
    STV - As Monday (ITV - Gambling/Jeremy Kyle/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle).

THUR. 19TH:-
    STV - As Monday (ITV - River Monsters - then as Wednesday).

FRI. 20TH:-
    STV - MOVIEJUICE - 2 of 8 (ITV - Barging Round Britain - 2 of 8) - primetime.
    STV - RIVER MONSTERS/NIGHTSHIFT (ITV - Film: Air America/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle).

OPT OUTS not been shown on STV :-

MORE TALES FROM NORTHUMBERLAND (Feb 2015), BARGING ROUND BRITAIN (Feb), RIVER MONSTERS (Jan/Feb), COUNTRYWISE (Nov/Dec 2014), SECRETS FROM THE SKY (Nov 2014) , HOTEL IN THE CLOUDS (1 off, Nov 2014 & ITV3 Feb 2015).
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is high time that ITV was fully networked with regional optouts that are enjoyed by STV and UTV being scrapped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Following on from all this I wonder just what exactly has been networked by ITV from STV in recent (5?) years? Very little!

Animal 999 hasn't been taken by anyone else, Moviejuice the same - 2 cheap programmes trotted out, Scottish Passport - name kills this stone dead, and it looks like that has been buried again anyway as it's never reappeared, any other news/current affairs progs. are Scotland specific so no joy there, Weir's Way with David Hayman - good idea and I liked it but wonder how saleable this would be if viewers outside Scotland don't remember/relate to Tom Weir, The Hour - could have been reimagined/overhauled and might have worked but outside Scotland - no chance...

That leaves - Catchphrase remake - cheap to produce, anything else? Was Missing the last "big" drama? Think STV might produce some kind of auction/antiques show that airs on the BBC but I cannot think of anything else... :(

Antiques Road trip is the show they make for the BBC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    It is high time that ITV was fully networked with regional optouts that are enjoyed by STV and UTV being scrapped.

ITV is a separate company from STV and UTV. STV and UTV are independant and make there own shows and can decide what they want to show when they want to show it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antiques Road trip is the show they make for the BBC

Ah yes that's the one! Thanks. It seems to have been a good one for them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV is a separate company from STV and UTV. STV and UTV are independant and make there own shows and can decide what they want to show when they want to show it
    But the franchises for scotland and northern ireland was awarded when itv was a federal system in the early days. But that itv has gone. The three licences should be bought by itv plc and then there would be one unified schedule covering all the uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the franchises for scotland and northern ireland was awarded when itv was a federal system in the early days. But that itv has gone. The three licences should be bought by itv plc and then there would be one unified schedule covering all the uk

I like the system we have at the moment we get the biggest ITV shows and a really good regional news service in Central Scotland( I know the North isnt as good). If ITV were in charge we wouldnt have Scotland Tonight which excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the system we have at the moment we get the biggest ITV shows and a really good regional news service in Central Scotland( I know the North isnt as good). If ITV were in charge we wouldnt have Scotland Tonight which excellent.
    Scotland and Northern ireland has the better deal than us in itv plc land.

ITV PLC have decimated the regions current affairs programming in itv plc land yet STV has STV Tonight nightly after the news at whenever.

Though it can only be a matter of time before itv plc snaps up the last bastions of the old itv in scotland and northern ireland. Then the will be no regional optouts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland and Northern ireland has the better deal than us in itv plc land.

ITV PLC have decimated the regions current affairs programming in itv plc land yet STV has STV Tonight nightly after the news at whenever.

Though it can only be a matter of time before itv plc snaps up the last bastions of the old itv in scotland and northern ireland. Then the will be no regional optouts

I'm not a fan of Scotland Tonight - I just don't like the production and am not keen on the presenters. Also (as kezo has said) it is very much geared towards Central Scotland. However I do recognise that the principle of a Scottish news programme going out Mon-Thursday at the same time every night is commendable and so STV have at least tried to establish some recognisable Scottish news in that slot.

Indeed we could argue that what STV did was jolt BBC Scotland into creating it's Scottish Newsnight service (11.00-11.20pm) into a more credible Scottish news platform, nightly at err... 10.30-11.00pm!

If we go back 2 years ago or whatever we had neither the 30 min. STV prog. or the 30 min. BBC one! Just a pity the times clash, but they've both recognised a gap in the market that should have been filled long before now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know recently its either one of the Discovery channels or UKTV channels have put on a programme from STV - Yorkhill Hospital was mentioned in it (no idea on name of programme as I didn't catch it), but as you named a few who exactly is going to buy these sort of shows they churn out? STV should be investing in half decent programming and not shoddy productions that look like something from "you've been framed" I will give them credit on the David Heyman/Weirs Way programme but lets not get in the habit of reviving programming of yesteryear for the sake of saving money

STV make Antiques Road Trip for the BBC and yet when you look at the camera work on that programme it looks like its done carefully/professional (from what I saw)

They did have a not so big drama that they made a big hullabaloo for us up in Scotland was that "fast freddie and me" (starred Laurence Fox of Lewis) but STV on the drama side seems like there is next to bug all coming out of that department! (again ITV seem to be at least trying/investing there)

The Hour - I agree with you on that even though I hated it to be frank - but they should have more varied presenters presenting it than the usual weegie talk (as mentioned previous they could have used presenters of STV North to present with STV presenters or basically shared the show between Glasgow and Aberdeen but of course this lot have no idea as they take it that by default that anything outwith Glasgow (mostly) does not exist unless something big happens then its priority

as for STV News tonight (Aberdeen/Dundee) start of it tonight someone just about forgot to flick switch as the "timer" briefly appeared on screen and Andrea was a few secs behind John McKay I noted on STV HD As for STV Dundee news - second last headline seemed to have failed to come up on his camera (Chris Harvey looked lost - no apology but yet had his reports on table below - was even reading some at start of bulletin - so I guess autocue was to blame on that?), please can someone tell me does anyone at any of the STV bases actually view these bulletins when on air or do they just sit on their ass and have a coffee or when faults happen its blame the gremlins? Sometimes when these bulletins run I find it embarassing to watch and I wish someone told whoever is in charge (be at Clyde) or be at the news station bases to get a grip on things and buck up, as I have mentioned before as far as I knew what Grampian TV ran there was hardly any tech faults (possibly there was and I didn't see it but pretty sure apology be immediate) but since under STV - faults happen its blame Gremlins or just cough through it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember back in 90's you had your own local output (be news) as well as us in Grampian had some Scottish TV shows ie Speaking Our Language on duing these opt outs, but you knew you were still getting the ITV output as normal (with time variations) but with the programming these days its more like STV is "pick n mix" so your STV viewer is waiting on shows from ITV if and when they will appear (if your on freeview) but if you have cable/sky your lucky to avoid the crap outputs or watch the shows ITV are airing

I do agree with people's view that ITV ain't that great either but it seems more to me as if since the farce the quality of programming on ITV/STV isn't that great as it use to be but they need to stop thinking about their shareholders and think more of the viewer but I doubt it will change sadly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember back in 90's you had your own local output (be news) as well as us in Grampian had some Scottish TV shows ie Speaking Our Language on duing these opt outs, but you knew you were still getting the ITV output as normal (with time variations) but with the programming these days its more like STV is "pick n mix" so your STV viewer is waiting on shows from ITV if and when they will appear (if your on freeview) but if you have cable/sky your lucky to avoid the crap outputs or watch the shows ITV are airing

I do agree with people's view that ITV ain't that great either but it seems more to me as if since the farce the quality of programming on ITV/STV isn't that great as it use to be but they need to stop thinking about their shareholders and think more of the viewer but I doubt it will change sadly

At least we are getting the big shows now unlike a few tears ago when we never got Doc Martin and Downton Abbey
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hour - I agree with you on that even though I hated it to be frank - but they should have more varied presenters presenting it than the usual weegie talk (as mentioned previous they could have used presenters of STV North to present with STV presenters or basically shared the show between Glasgow and Aberdeen but of course this lot have no idea as they take it that by default that anything outwith Glasgow (mostly) does not exist unless something big happens then its priority

I get your point that The Hour was very Glasgow based but guests werent going to travel to Aberdeen to be interviewed so I dont know how they could share the show between Aberdeen and Glasgow and to be honest Stephen Jardine and Michelle were very good hosts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get your point that The Hour was very Glasgow based but guests werent going to travel to Aberdeen to be interviewed so I dont know how they could share the show between Aberdeen and Glasgow and to be honest Stephen Jardine and Michelle were very good hosts

So whats the point of us in the STV North then? Are we just for news whilst the rest is coming from Glasgow? If its just for news we may as well just not exist at all as most of the time I can flick between STV (Grampian) and STV HD (Glasgow) and the bulletins look more simulcasting each other ie main headline but past couple nights I have seen news reports from my area looking more like its one of its own than simulcasting ie Electric Cars

I do hope your joking on that regarding Stephen Jardine/Mechelle were good hosts? Stephen Jardine I'll give him credit he was OK but what was the point in Mechelle she was more irritating than anything - show became more about the presenters than the guests

The point I am also trying to make is that STV should be doing more sharing of resources than the default of Glasgow all the time in their programming - if they have bases in Aberdeen/Edinburgh then surely make programming with more than just the one accent?