Options

US Channels that you would like to see on UKTV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
Forum Member
Personally I would like to see the introduction of

ABC, NBC, FOX & CBS UK (Great OTA channels that shows popular tv shows, popular special event, award shows and sports)
THE CW UK (Youth Oriented channel with popular tv shows)
HBO UK (Game of Thrones + premium movies)
AMC UK (Award winning critically acclaimed shows + movies)
Showtime UK (Same as AMC)
Fox Sports UK (Lots of NCAA, MLB, NHL, MLS perhaps)
North American version of CNN, HLN)
Fuse (Music oriented tv shows, music videos, countdowns, etc)

Comments

• Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see

CNN US
    HLN
    MLB NETWORK
    NHL NETWORK
    FOX BUSINESS NETWORK
    ESPNEWS
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be great, but the rights for those channels programming is split between many existing broadcasters so the channels wouldn't be allowed to show most of their own shows.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    MSNBC and the US version of CNN.
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is the point? Any programme even half decent (and thats pushing it when we have junk like TLC UK) is already shown on a British channel. You can't have an HBO UK when Sky have an exclusive deal to air their shows on Sky Atlantic.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly unlikely that we will see any of them They certainly would be showing the same programmes as their US counterparts since the rights are already sold to UK channels.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just like a channel to come along to try and take on Sky for entertainment.
    Just like BT are trying to take on Sky with sport and good luck to them.
    Most US shows as said are split between different UK broadcasters.
    As posted above Fox Sports UK would be a no go. As some US sports are broadcast on ESPN over here.

Darren
  • Options
    Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Below is a full list of US channels I would like to see on British TV:-
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them :D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »

Well put, the only American programme I watch is their Who Do You Think You Are series and I think it is re-edited for British audiences. I can't think of anything else I have thought worth watching.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    HBO UK (In the same way HBO operates in the US and Europe, commercial free!)
    CNN US
    ESPNews
    Showtime UK
    MSNBC (Surely this one isn't hard?!)
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABC Family would be a great channel to have here , you don't see many family oriented channels on Sky anymore as its usually Female oriented channels nowadays with TLC , Lifetime and the new upcoming ITVBe.

Hallmark was last family channel we had , t Movies24 i suppose would be the closest we have to Hallmark now but minus the TV Shows.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Why US channels?
    We are not a state within that union of states.

Why not EU channels?
    We are a state within that union of states.

Is there not enough American material already and virtually no European programming?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watch a fair bit of European TV.

In the last few months there's been dramas from Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Israel across various channels.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    We watch a fair bit of European TV.
    Who are 'we' - the 500-household or the UK?
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    Why US channels?
    We are not a state within that union of states.

Why not EU channels?
    We are a state within that union of states.

Is there not enough American material already and virtually no European programming?

probably because culturally, the UK has more in common with America, along with Australia/Canada & New Zealand than it has with France/Spain/Germany/Italy etc....

there is a common language between the English speaking countries, and a common background in history, most of our historical relationships with European nations centres around war.... why would I have any interest in a German TV programme (subtitled) when I can watch an American sitcom in English that I can tune out to?

and aren't we (the UK) only interested in a "trading" union with the EU, not a political "country" like the union of states in the USA?
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    Personally I would like to see the introduction of

ABC, NBC, FOX & CBS UK (Great OTA channels that shows popular tv shows, popular special event, award shows and sports) - I'd agree with this, but there's probably a value in a single channel showing the "best of" for these channels, rather than a bunch of individual US network channels
    THE CW UK (Youth Oriented channel with popular tv shows) - a lot of CW programmes are probably on the way through Viacom's children's channelsHBO UK (Game of Thrones + premium movies) - this is Sky Atlantic
    Fox Sports UK (Lots of NCAA, MLB, NHL, MLS perhaps) - most of this is on ESPN/BT Sport, some over Sky Sports
    North American version of CNN, HLN) - do we really need the American news channels focusing on local/regional American news?
    Fuse (Music oriented tv shows, music videos, countdowns, etc) - this I agree with, following the move away from music for MTV/Box etc

some of these are already catered for in the UK, just over Sky/Virgin/BT rather than FTA channels
  • Options
    RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't really be THAT caught up on getting specific US channels over here, because most of the content I'm interested in is already here and I'm never really that caught up in the branding because the shows I do watch that are over here and those that aren't that I would like over here are spread among several networks, so I couldn't really see the point in picking any.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABC, Zuus country, GAC, Palladia, a few fox affiliates that I like.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Travel Channel the US one looks good it has stuff like Ghost Adventures and the Syfy channel is different to ours.
    Spike TV looks good and The CW.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiller
    It's like a combination of syfy channel and horror channel, but actually has a range of past and present sci-fi/fantasy and horror shows and they don't always repeat the same shitty z list horror films.

The US version of Syfy channel is much better than the UK one as well

TV land - which shows all the old american sitcoms you could think of, as well as having their own original shows like Hot in cleveland.
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not American, but I've always thought one of the news channels from Australia would be a good addition to Sky - ABC News 24 or Sky News Australia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    DarthGore wrote: »
    some of these are already catered for in the UK, just over Sky/Virgin/BT rather than FTA channels

ABC, NBC, FOX & CBS UK (Great OTA channels that shows popular tv shows, popular special event, award shows and sports) - I'd agree with this, but there's probably a value in a single channel showing the "best of" for these channels, rather than a bunch of individual US network channels
    THE CW UK (Youth Oriented channel with popular tv shows) - a lot of CW programmes are probably on the way through Viacom's children's channelsHBO UK (Game of Thrones + premium movies) - this is Sky Atlantic
    Fox Sports UK (Lots of NCAA, MLB, NHL, MLS perhaps) - most of this is on ESPN/BT Sport, some over Sky Sports
    North American version of CNN, HLN) - do we really need the American news channels focusing on local/regional American news?
    Fuse (Music oriented tv shows, music videos, countdowns, etc) - this I agree with, following the move away from music for MTV/Box etc

There are way too many shows on ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox to put them all in one channel. Its impossible, plus it could get very complicated giving rights to programs from Fox to ABC, ABC to CBS, FOX to NBC, NBC to CBS, etc.

CNN US hardly shows local news or any national news for that matter. For the last month or so they've been extensively covering the Ukraine/Russia/Crimea crisis and the missing Malaysian Airline plane.

As far as I know HBO shows aren't just limited to True Detective and Games of Thrones. There are shows on HBO like Banshee
    Boardwalk Empire
    Call Me Fitz
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Doll & Em
    Eastbound & Down
    Flight of the Conchords
    Funny As Hell
    and a lot more that you could be able to fit on those channels. Yes Sky Atlantic shows only the popular HBO shows doesn't mean they show ALL HBO shows, so I do think a proper HBO channel is required for it.

When I said we should have Fox Sports UK, I am talking about sports in the UK that has no rights and no promotional activities. ESPN America, and BT Sports hardly shows that many U.S games, and their coverage just isn't extensive enough. EPSN America does a good enough job though. There are college football, college basketball, and college hockey that are popular in the states which they could broadcast here.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »

Ahh nice, and from an American perspective I can tell you the full list of British Networks I'd like to see on US TV is:
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know HBO shows aren't just limited to True Detective and Games of Thrones. There are shows on HBO like Banshee
    Boardwalk Empire
    Call Me Fitz
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Doll & Em
    Eastbound & Down
    Flight of the Conchords
    Funny As Hell
    and a lot more that you could be able to fit on those channels. Yes Sky Atlantic shows only the popular HBO shows doesn't mean they show ALL HBO shows, so I do think a proper HBO channel is required for it.

I'm sure you'd be aware then that all of the shows you listed above are shown on Sky Atlantic except Doll and Em which is on Sky Living.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Boardwalk Empire
    Call Me Fitz
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Doll & Em
    Eastbound & Down
    Flight of the Conchords
    Funny As Hell

Banshee airs on Cinemax, a sister channel of HBO, which is often included in the bundle, Eastbound & Down and True Blood are on lifetime deals with FOX UK, so a channel with the entire HBO archive wouldn't ever happen...