Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine saw Yootha Joyce in a restaurant in London back in the days when she was in Man About The House, (or it may have been George and Mildred), approached her for an autograph and she was rudely dismissed by Yootha. I agree with the above posters who say when well known people are on their own time they shouldn't be disturbed.

An ex colleague of mine was on holiday in Florida sometime in the 90's and Johnny Briggs was in the same complex as them. My colleague was mortified that for two weeks her husband attempted to become Johnny's best friend. Johnny, for his part was always very courteous and friendly. and was never dismissive of him at all.

Yootha Joyce was known to be a very private and shy lady and nothing at all like the strong and dominant woman Mildred Roper was. I've heard before she did not like being recognised or approached.

Well done to Johnny Briggs though - he sounds like a true gent! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    That's unfair. It's not like you give them money for free. You're paying for a movie, song, album etc. They don't owe fans time just because they're rich.

How much time does it take to scribble two words on a piece of paper?

Reading this thread is a real eye opener and has changed my views on quite a few people. If these people don't like fans or can't handle fame, perhaps they should go do something else? Being recognised is part of being famous.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Reading this thread is a real eye opener and has changed my views on quite a few people. If these people don't like fans or can't handle fame, perhaps they should go do something else? Being recognised is part of being famous.

Because some people just want to act and don't really care if they're famous? They don't have to stop for anyone. They can walk right past fans as much as they want and they don't need to quit acting because you think they're rude.

How much time does it take? How many times do you think people like Jennifer Lawrence and Rihanna are stopped a day for autographs? I think it takes quite a bit of time. Are celebrities not allowed to have off moments? Have you never snapped at someone because of a bad mood?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not long just once, but it adds up if others see it done and want one. If you've signed others, people can say why not for them if refused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a story Jimmy Savile told, in his autobiography which I read years ago. He told how he was just reaching the end of a half-marathon or long race of some sort, and someone jumped out asking him to sign something. He couldn't stop and crashed into the man and they both fell over. Serves him right, many might say now. But it does show the lengths and lack of appropriate timing of some autograph seekers.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long just once, but it adds up if others see it done and want one. If you've signed others, people can say why not for them if refused.
    Also, a lot of celebrities are very particular about getting he balance right between being on and off duty, so they don't go mad. Sounds like a good idea to me. Eric Morecambe was never off- duty, and it infuriated his family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once saw the late Don Estelle on a beach in Bridlington. He was selling his own CD's from a suitcase. Some young child asked him to sign an autograph book but he refused saying he would only sign his CD's but sadly he was very snappy with it and sent the child away with a flick of his hand.
    I remember thinking, you're flogging your own CD's from a suitcase on Bridlington beach, you need to behave better. No problem if he wouldn't sign but no need to be so dismissive.
    I later saw him marching very quickly off the beach looking very cross.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once saw the late Don Estelle on a beach in Bridlington. He was selling his own CD's from a suitcase. Some young child asked him to sign an autograph book but he refused saying he would only sign his CD's but sadly he was very snappy with it and sent the child away with a flick of his hand.
    I remember thinking, you're flogging your own CD's from a suitcase on Bridlington beach, you need to behave better. No problem if he wouldn't sign but no need to be so dismissive.

I remember seeing him warbling in the old Woolworths, there, while trying to flog his music (can't remember format but it was back in the early 1990s). :D
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Mathew Horne at a club in central London a couple of days ago. A very nice and down to Earth person
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I remember seeing him warbling in the old Woolworths, there, while trying to flog his music (can't remember format but it was back in the early 1990s). :D
    Me too. He was in his Lofty outfit as well,if my memory is not playing tricks!
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timmy Mallet is an absolute bellend
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    Timmy Mallet is an absolute bellend

Story please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »

He was also in his Lofty outfit when I saw him on Bridlington beach so I doubt your memory is playing tricks.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Story please.

He's just very rude and arrogant, everybody else was below him and may as well have been shit on his show. I've met lots of celebs in my time and always on a professional level (where they're being paid) and he is the one who sticks out in my mind as the worst. Proper childhood ruiner that was
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »

Nope, you got it! :)
    Wonder if he got kicked out of there (Woolies) and that's why he ended up on the beach, davelovesleeds!!! :D
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if he got kicked out of there (Woolies) and that's why he ended up on the beach, davelovesleeds!!! :D

Saw him doing the same in a shopping centre in Banbury. In his Lofty outfit. Felt sorry for him - nobody was interested. This was about 10 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don Estelle would have to pay me to listen to his awful singing. He's lucky the police didn't spot him selling things on the beach! :D
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it's a large group, then literally hours. The summer before last an actor I'm a fan of visited an amusement park with his family, a couple of fans saw and tweeted about him being there, his fansite retweeted them, more fans went to the park just to try to track him down, soon it got to the point where the fansite was more or less live tweeting exactly where in the park he was, and he had to leave.

I saw Peter Capaldi outside a charity event last year and it took him literally three hours to walk the 30ft from the building to his car, because there were so many fans. And most fans are not satisfied with a quick scribble on a bit of paper, they want a photo, a chat, and professional autograph hunters often ask for multiple items to be signed. A lot of fans don't leave once they've got their photo and autograph either, they stay put taking pics and just watching, making it more time-consuming when you've got six or seven rows of fans queuing up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably yes.
    Saw him doing the same in a shopping centre in Banbury. In his Lofty outfit. Felt sorry for him - nobody was interested. This was about 10 years ago.

Not many were interested in him on the beach either,
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It must have been his ghost cause he has been dead since 2003 😃
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must have been his ghost cause he has been dead since 2003 😃

A bit longer then Jeez!
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit longer then Jeez!

I only know cause I googled the name to see if he was still alive😳
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only know cause I googled the name to see if he was still alive😳

Fair enough. Time is running away from me. I am older than I think!
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Was very impressed with Stephen Mulhern, genuinely a great guy, felt more like a chat than an interview