Options

Get Rid Of The Groups & The Overs!

Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They might as well, because the public don't like groups & the XF hierarchy don't like the Overs.

Not one 'real' group made too much of an impact.

The only group make any real impact was not a real group, just 5 teenage lads cobbled together by $imon Cowell to make him some more money, so even if they'd won, it would have been a flawed victory.

In respect of The Overs, it's quite ironic that the winner of this year's show should rightly have come from the Overs category, but because they cynically raised the entry age to 28, that meant 27 year old (:rolleyes:) Matt got put into the boys section, obviously because they didn't want a potential winner from the Overs category.

The should just ditch those categories & tell them to apply to BGT instead!!!

Comments

• Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Overs category should be scrapped, it is just there because the X Factor hierarchy don't want to come across as ageist. People over 30 would have more of a chance on BGT, it is clear that the producers and judges are only looking for young talent.
  • Options
    CaudlehalbardCaudlehalbard Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has a group ever won American Idol?
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannon fodder.
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    it is clear that the producers and judges are only looking for young talent.
    Err, as the OP says, the the only reason this year's winner was in the boys category was because they abruptly changed the rules after Boot Camp...
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, as the OP says, the the only reason this year's winner was in the boys category was because they abruptly changed the rules after Boot Camp...

Errr, okay then I will word it differently. I don't think that anyone over the age of 30 should bother auditioning for X Factor they would have more of a chance on BGT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I actually think One Direction did very well considering they were a made up group and in my view seriously c**p.

Maybe just better quality of groups in particular and also overs.

And as was said, Matt is an over in the original specification. I can't see he won just because he ended up being reassigned as an under.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,308
    Forum Member
    Na I like he groups and Overs, I think Cheryl should get the groups next year.
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not allowed groups on Amercian Idol.

They should just get rid of all the categories and have the judges pick from the entire boot camp lot (boys/girls/groups whatever).

Have them take turns to pick one each on a live show out of a top 30 or something. Maybe jazz it up a bit and have the viewers pick a wildcard for each of them too.

Anything to get rid of this boring category format we have. Having Louis being stuck with overs and groups is getting dull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I actually think One Direction did very well considering they were a made up group and in my view seriously c**p.

Maybe just better quality of groups in particular and also overs.

And as was said, Matt is an over in the original specification. I can't see he won just because he ended up being reassigned as an under.

In respect of Matt, I never said he won because he was reassigned.

Matt was always a potential winner, whatever category they put him in, but for some reason, the producers/judges did not want such a strong contender in the Overs category, hence the hasty redrawing of the age boundary & my assertion that they might as well get rid of the Overs because the hierarchy at XF central don't like the Overs category.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On American Idol there's an age limit and it's solo singers only so basically having no overs or groups would be reverting back to the old Pop Idol show. Never going to happen.

I like the overs and the groups and the fact any age can enter. They might not win but it's more entertaining for the auditions and in the live shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Na I like he groups and Overs, I think Cheryl should get the groups next year.

That's a good idea, the only problem is, they'd probably put Take That & Destiny's Child on the show to give her the best chance of winning.:p
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way. Best two catogories! So much fun to watch!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not yet. Would help if this category was allowed in the competition first...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I think they legally have to include the groups & overs, to differentiate TXF from the Idol format. However, they need to do it differently - change the age limit back, stop putting through girlbands & novelty groups/overs that have no chance of winning, etc. Also, somebody suggested changing the groups category to bands, which I think would be fantastic if done well.
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they are only looking for young talent (Which they are!) then they should rename the show to reflect that. They are not looking for someone, anyone with the X Factor, they are looking for a pop act. The whole show is a sham from start to finish.
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anactoria wrote: »
    I think they legally have to include the groups & overs, to differentiate TXF from the Idol format. However, they need to do it differently - change the age limit back, stop putting through girlbands & novelty groups/overs that have no chance of winning, etc. Also, somebody suggested changing the groups category to bands, which I think would be fantastic if done well.

Well there is one way to stop novelty acts and girlbands getting through: Don't put them through to even appearing in front of the judges in the first place.

But of course the producers are too interested in making a silly show of people who have mental problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    If they get rid of the overs then they'd be cutting off a big section of their viewers, younger people probably vote more but it's the ratings what really matter. It's like with any tv program they have to find a balance between youth and age, get it wrong and the show normally fails
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    - Kaii - wrote: »
    If they get rid of the overs then they'd be cutting off a big section of their viewers, younger people probably vote more but it's the ratings what really matter. It's like with any tv program they have to find a balance between youth and age, get it wrong and the show normally fails

Exactly. It doesnt really matter that an act doesnt win, the purpose of having a variety of different types of acts on there is to attract a variety of viewers/voters.

Whether these acts can actually win is irrelevant, their purpose on the show is to attract viewers/voters who might not otherwise watch.
  • Options
    bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may not have won, but jls and olly have done brilliantly
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they got rid of the groups and overs and only allowed young people to enter then we'd be back to Pop Idol again.

I like the groups and although there haven't been too many singers over the age of 30 who I've thought: "I'd buy their music," there have been a few who have been decent singers. Mary for example, I wouldn't buy her music but I enjoyed watching her each week. Keep it as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannon fodder.

Cracking name for a boy band, that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member

Well, that's the point really. The groups and the overs are there largely to create enough of a distinction (legally speaking) between the X Factor format and the Idol format. Nothing more than that.

In the history of the show, no group has won, whereas only the first series was won by on over - Steve Brookstein. And remember:

a: It suited Cowell perfectly to have a series 1 final between two acts that could not have auditioned for Idol

b: The highly destructive post-show relationship between Cowell and Brookstein suggests that the older singers are likely to cause him more problems (if only because older singers are less likely to simply sing what they're told to sing)
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's the point really. The groups and the overs are there largely to create enough of a distinction (legally speaking) between the X Factor format and the Idol format. Nothing more than that.

A distinction that has been errouded over the years anyway. In the early series the judges were called "Mentors" and joined their act on stage after each live performance to take criticism from the other mentors but now not only do they stay at their desk but also noticed that they rarely use the word 'mentor' anymore instead preferring 'Judge'.
  • Options
    lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in other words... Pop Idol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,752
    Forum Member
    If they got rid of a category, a judge would have to go too! An Over won the Aussie X factor this year.