Options

Is it just me, or is the release of a "new" Michael Jackson album just wrong?

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
Hate me all you want, but I think when an artist dies their music should live on. I don't particularly like MJ, but I believe I would feel the same if one of my music heroes (Springsteen, Gabriel, Waits) died and they released new music from his catalogue.

I don't know, it just seems wrong, and not a little creepy to be seeing and hearing a guy who is dead advertised as having a new album. Makes my skin crawl: the triumph of moneymaking over decency.

I await your barbed comments, but my belief remains the same: it's disrespectful and similar to graverobbing. I know there may have been contracts, but hell, surely when you die they're cancelled? Is this the future? Will we see all our rock/pop legends release albums posthumously? Brrr!

Comments

• Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's just you. Personally I think its an opportunistic record company trying to cash in by releasing tracks that are so sub-standard compared to his previous work that they would never have seen the light of day if MJ was still alive. Which is pretty much exactly what the reviews I've seen have said as well.

But they do it whenever a big name rock/pop star dies. I'm sure there's a quote out there somewhere about dying being the best career move that a rock star can ever make.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I LOVE MJ, but I'm not going to buy/listen to this new album. It feels SO uncomforable knowing that he's dead yet listening to his lastest music. I still listen to his old classicS though.

Also all the promo shots of him before he died- absolutely creepy. I can't.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    As a huge MJ fan i wasn't really sure where i stood on the whole 'new' album issue.

It's been ages since any new MJ material (2001 since Invincible. 2004 since The Ultimate Collection) so when it was announced we were getting some new tracks I was beyond excited but wasn't really sure what to expect.

I've got to say i'm really impressed. It sounds fantastic and it's great to finally here some new MJ tracks. Although in the future I would perfer to hear some tracks that we know were actually 'completed' by MJ himself rather than tracks which are having to be completed by third parties. We know there are plenty out there.

Sure it all stinks of Sony cashing in - but no change there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't bother me.

decent music.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think its quite sick, people making money from a rich dead man. They are apparently planning to make more. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I think most posthumous albums are stupid. They're clearly just songs from the vaults; most of which will have been there because they were rejected from the albums originally.

As Skin (Skunk Anansie) said, when you play his CD can you hear the sound of vultures eating at his flesh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think its quite sick, people making money from a rich dead man. They are apparently planning to make more. :eek:

I heard he's contracted for TEN albums! Anyone know if the contract was written in blood? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »

But they do it whenever a big name rock/pop star dies. I'm sure there's a quote out there somewhere about dying being the best career move that a rock star can ever make.

I've NEVER heard of anyone else going through this. Sure, they released "Way down" after Elvis died (on some anniversary, I think), and it got to number one, but it was a one-off. I didn't see any posthumous recordings from Freddie Mercury, Rory Gallagher, Nirvana and so on. Nothing to the exent of TOTALLY NEW albums, anyway.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree, it does just seem like "let's cash in on a dead guy".
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like it's a new thing though - look at Tupac. He'd recorded hundreds of songs that never got released and, arguably, made him a more successful artist after he died.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows Tupac is alive and well and lives in Grimsby. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    I've NEVER heard of anyone else going through this. Sure, they released "Way down" after Elvis died (on some anniversary, I think), and it got to number one, but it was a one-off. I didn't see any posthumous recordings from Freddie Mercury, Rory Gallagher, Nirvana and so on. Nothing to the exent of TOTALLY NEW albums, anyway.

They did it with Buddy Holly. His "Reminiscing" album came out a few years after his death. There's some great songs on there, but the substantial overdubs added by producer Norman Petty were not to everyone's taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothering commenting on this subject anymore after being singled out for "special treatment" by a MJ fan on another thread for negative comments on this album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but not to this extent. It's just so crass: it's like they're almost trying to pretend he's still alive! Wouldn't be that surprised if they contracted some lookalike to star in the "new videos".
    Just plain wrong, imo.
    I know some stars have had material released after their death, but generally it's a) done in a tasteful way and b) usually a one-off. This is more like saying "Just because you're dead doesn't get you out of your contract! Get out there and write, and sing!"
    Wolfram and Hart, anyone? Angel fans?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soundstory wrote: »
    I'm not bothering commenting on this subject anymore after being singled out for "special treatment" by a MJ fan on another thread for negative comments on this album.

It's nothing to do with the album. It could be the greatest record ever made, or the biggest load of tosh since "Agadoo!" I really don't care, and it's not the merits of the album itself I'm interested in discussing here. It's the idea of trying to market new music (TEN albums!) from a guy who is no longer alive. The pure, moneygrabbing, grave-robbing GREED of it!
  • Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know where the money from the sales are going??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    As far as I am aware, the money goes to Sony and the Michael Jackson Estate (ie. his 3 children and his selected charities).

I feel like I'm being torn in 2 over this album tbh. I've bought it (am listening at the moment) and love most of it. I don't have an issue with the posthumous release in general providing MJ had finalised the tracks (of was at least 90% there) himself but there are certain tracks on the album where I feel demo vocals were used and have since been over-produced (I'm talking in particular about the 3 Cascio tracks where I'm sure they've added fake, unnecessary vibrato).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with the album. It could be the greatest record ever made, or the biggest load of tosh since "Agadoo!" I really don't care, and it's not the merits of the album itself I'm interested in discussing here. It's the idea of trying to market new music (TEN albums!) from a guy who is no longer alive. The pure, moneygrabbing, grave-robbing GREED of it!

Absolutely !
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I agree with you. I found it very weird seeing his new album in HMV yesterday. Greatest Hits aren't too bad, but a new studio album...not right.

Although; wasn't he in a load of debt when he died? I can't see them stopping to be honest, I think they'll be releasing his music for years! There are always a load of b-sides and songs which didn't make the final cut of previous albums.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Whenever anyone dies, they will make damn sure we not only forget them, but that the clueless fans will always will be digging their hands in their wallets/purses or bank accounts to buy their "latest album" which they usually release a new one every few years. And when i mean new, i mean old b sides or songs that were never that good hence why never made the studio albums.

They do it to Elvis. Even do it to queen in memory of Freddie.
  • Options
    dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its been going on for years ! what,s the problem. i would be greatful that i get to hear new stuff from my favourite artist (michael jackson is far from my favourite).
    why are you complaining now ? is it cause its now happening to your beloved michael ?
    did you feel this way when it was happeing to other artists ?
    nah thought as much .:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its been going on for years ! what,s the problem. i would be greatful that i get to hear new stuff from my favourite artist (michael jackson is far from my favourite).
    why are you complaining now ? is it cause its now happening to your beloved michael ?
    did you feel this way when it was happeing to other artists ?
    nah thought as much .:rolleyes:

You clearly are missing the point
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive heard the 1st song from it with akon and am quite disappointed as it's Michael and you do expect more i know he's dead but if this is the kind of tripe has recorded then it's no wonder he never wanted it to see the light of day
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    the thing i dont like about it is that these are songs which Michael did not think were good enough to be released or completed. he was apparently a perfectionist, so im not sure he would be too happy knowing what was going on!
    then again, i did buy an album with unreleased Aaliyah tracks after she died, and they were great songs. though im not sure whether they were songs which were not put on other albums or whether they were songs ready to be put on an unfinished album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree completely, but a few (not the majority) don't !