Options

Fed up looking for a job - what's the point!

James30James30 Posts: 5,201
Forum Member
The Job Centre are useless, no bloody help! Hardly any jobs around and those that are have 100s to one job applying.

I have few qualifications and no money for expensive training.

It's just a round cycle of checking job sites and applying (if i can) and that's it. I have mild autism which sets me back as well as i've been in jobs and as soon as the employer does 3 months, they get shot of me...been happening for years.:(

I would rather sit and gather dust on the sofa.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I feel your pain, brother. For real. I advocate the Right Not To Work. Government should find a way to foot the bill.
    Putting those eligible on an average salary, just enough to suffice for the necessities of livelihood.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye on B&Q and places like that because they take staff on at the start of the new financial year when they get their new staffing budgets, you might get laid off after Christmas though because that's how they work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you apply for jobs, you may get a job eventually.

If you don't apply for jobs, you are guaranteed to not get a job.

That is the point.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I know where you're coming from. There are precious few jobs around at the moment - particularly unskilled and semi skilled.

I have been unemployed for over a year now and I've only had three interviews in that time. It is a nightmare and it really gets me down sometimes. There are very few jobs that I can even apply for, let alone stand a chance of getting.

Unfortunately, I also have bipolar disorder, which has wrecked my chances at least once. The interview was going great until I was asked about my medical history and had to tell the guy about it. His face dropped immediately and the interview became very different after that.

All I can say is keep plugging away. What other choice is there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I also have bipolar disorder, which has wrecked my chances at least once. The interview was going great until I was asked about my medical history and had to tell the guy about it. His face dropped immediately and the interview became very different after that.

Best to avoid telling a potential employer, unless you absolutely have to. It shouldn't be like that but it is.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even with qualifications, its depressing at the moment. I have a good degree from a decent university, and its either no jobs which apply to my qualifications, or I'm over qualified.

Just hang in there, it'll get better in a year or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wombat18 wrote: »
    Best to avoid telling a potential employer, unless you absolutely have to. It shouldn't be like that but it is.

Don't worry, I won't be making that mistake again. If anyone asks I will lie through my teeth.

I don't blame employers for being put off by it to be honest. The very mention of mental health problems makes people wary. I can understand why they feel that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Even with qualifications, its depressing at the moment. I have a good degree from a decent university, and its either no jobs which apply to my qualifications, or I'm over qualified.

Just hang in there, it'll get better in a year or so.

It's pretty soul destroying being continually rejected and when you've been out of work for a long period of time, it's like your whole life is on hold. You can't make any plans because you've got no money and you've no idea what you will earn when you do eventually find work. Then you get debts mounting up etc etc.

There are so many people out of work and so few jobs around. I hope it improves soon or I will end up bankrupt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty soul destroying being continually rejected and when you've been out of work for a long period of time, it's like your whole life is on hold. You can't make any plans because you've got no money and you've no idea what you will earn when you do eventually find work. Then you get debts mounting up etc etc.

There are so many people out of work and so few jobs around. I hope it improves soon or I will end up bankrupt.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm in exactly the same situation. Its just living from hand to mouth, there's no disposable income left, no prospect of forward planning, savings, anything. Never mind luxuries, its just scrape by.

Its a global thing though, so don't feel rejected or soul destroyed, everybody's going through it. And it won't last forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm in exactly the same situation. Its just living from hand to mouth, there's no disposable income left, no prospect of forward planning, savings, anything. Never mind luxuries, its just scrape by.

Its a global thing though, so don't feel rejected or soul destroyed, everybody's going through it. And it won't last forever.

Tell me about it.

On top of all this you've got the government and media constantly demonising the unemployed and portraying us all as lazy scroungers living a life of luxury.

I've got kids as well and I'm fed up with telling them "I can't afford it" on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell me about it.

On top of all this you've got the government and media constantly demonising the unemployed and portraying us all as lazy scroungers living a life of luxury.

I've got kids as well and I'm fed up with telling them "I can't afford it" on a daily basis.

The government and the media have always been full of self serving rubbish, and nobody with an ounce of sense cares about what they say.

I really feel for you, and anybody who has children to take care of, at the moment. After studying my ass off at uni for four years and then building up a five year employment record with good references and experiences, I'm barely able to support myself. Thank god I don't have kids to worry about, I don't know what I 'd do.
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    The Job Centre are useless, no bloody help! Hardly any jobs around and those that are have 100s to one job applying.

I have few qualifications and no money for expensive training.

It's just a round cycle of checking job sites and applying (if i can) and that's it. I have mild autism which sets me back as well as i've been in jobs and as soon as the employer does 3 months, they get shot of me...been happening for years.:(

yeah its as tough as I've ever seen it job wise.if you have the energy you could try door to door asking if anyone needs a handyman .good luck there's a lot like you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The government and the media have always been full of self serving rubbish, and nobody with an ounce of sense cares about what they say.

I really feel for you, and anybody who has children to take care of, at the moment. After studying my ass off at uni for four years and then building up a five year employment record with good references and experiences, I'm barely able to support myself. Thank god I don't have kids to worry about, I don't know what I 'd do.

I was unemployed for a short time during the last recession and it was nowhere near as bad as this. I have never seen the job market this bad.

It doesn't seem to matter what qualifications people have, there's just nothing out there and for every job there are hundreds of applicants. It's a great situation for employers. They can afford to be very picky and that's exactly what they are right now.

All the jobs seem to be advertised by recruitment companies as well. Very few employers are actually doing the recruiting themselves, which certainly isn't helping me. The three interviews I had came from the old jobcentre website where I contacted the employer directly. I've not had so much as an acknowledgement from a job advertised by a recruitment company. The new jobcentre site has been taken over by recruitment companies, so I am pretty much screwed.

All we can do is keep plugging away.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    You will get one eventually. I was in the same boat a few years back and thought I was never going to get one. I'm now working part time in retail, not ideal but it gives me something to do and a bit of money. Just keep trying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But figures are showing that people in employment are at a record high

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21517854
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband graduated in 1991 when there was a recession. He tried everything to get a job and he treated job hunting like a job. He worked at it 9-5 every weekday, going to the library so he could use the newspapers for free with all the jobs listed. He applied for 2000 jobs in a six month period and eventually got a job well below his qualifications but hey it was a job!
    He did well in that job but the company folded after a year but because his boss liked him she gave a personal recommedation to a friend and he got another job immediately and not only that his salary tripled!
    Keep trying, you have got to be dedicated but there will be something out there. Nothing stays the same.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    I know where you're coming from. There are precious few jobs around at the moment - particularly unskilled and semi skilled.

I have been unemployed for over a year now and I've only had three interviews in that time. It is a nightmare and it really gets me down sometimes. There are very few jobs that I can even apply for, let alone stand a chance of getting.

Never mention medical conditions before or during an interview, some time after an interview and when you've got the job, sure because then they can't do anything about it without risking an employment tribunal - but at the same time they'll think you can be trusted anyway and just let you carry on.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But figures are showing that people in employment are at a record high

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21517854

Unfortunately, many of those are what's called 'under employed' which means they don't have a full-time contract and in some cases, they work no more than 12 hours a week.

How many supermarkets are replacing more and more till staff with self-check outs?
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Too many unqualified and / or inexperienced people wanting supermarket and similar jobs.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member

The Equality Act 2010 states that employers are not able to ask candidates about sickness prior to a job offer. You should have complained, they probably would have given you some money to go away because this can potentially be a very costly mistake.
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Never mention medical conditions before or during an interview, some time after an interview and when you've got the job, sure because then they can't do anything about it without risking an employment tribunal - but at the same time they'll think you can be trusted anyway and just let you carry on.

That depends on the sickness condition, if it's current then yes you would be able to withdraw a job offer, we certainly have without any issues.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Too many unqualified and / or inexperienced people wanting supermarket and similar jobs.

You don't need qualifications to work in retail, just a desire to work hard and be friendly to customers. I have 10 years worth of retai experience now but not when I started.

Many 15-16 year olds have had weekend jobs in retail over the last few decades.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    You don't need qualifications to work in retail.

I know, that's what I meant. Too many unqualified people chasing (I said wanting, but i meant the same thing) these type of jobs.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »

It's bloody hard but you have to keep trying. You will get a job sooner or later.

Sitting around won't help at all. Treat it as a full-time endeavour. While you are not looking for work do voluntary work. Preferably with an organisation which may offer you employment and/or in a field in which you are looking to work.

For example if you are looking for office work, volunteer in an office environment. If you are looking for care work volunteer in care. It will give you good references and boost your chances 100%, not to mention helping others and maintaining your self-esteem.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are precious few jobs around at the moment - particularly unskilled and semi skilled.

Surely that can't be true - we need to import hundreds of thousands of Eastern Europeans to do the jobs we British are too lazy to do!

I am being facetious. But it is anything but funny for those watching foreigners fill jobs which we would do anything to have.
  • Options
    thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bright lad but could not be bothered whilst at school and left with only a few GCSE's at C grade.
    I worked in care for several years whilst working at home on computers which in those early 90s days were a dark art to almost all.
    I decided in 2001 that I had enough and I went back to college, packing in my full time job and struggling like hell to pay my rent and bills by working my nuts off at night in Asda and anything else I could get into.
    I worked in an office on my study day fixing computers for a pittance but it all paid off in the end and I stepped from the Uni gates in 2006 with a degree in computing and a national diploma in computing from my college.
    Those Quals got me my first IT role and now several years on I have my own little dept which I love.
    Get yourself some basic quals mate, get to college and work in the evening, or do a night class and see if the dole will sponser you to improve - its a bugger but it pays off !!