Mary & Martha BBC1 8.30 tonight

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am planning to watch this tonight because it stars Brenda Blethyn, who I really like and I saw a clip and it looks good.

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Richard Curtis !
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be a good watch very surprised they managed to get Hilary Swank on board as well :)
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so good - but finding it very hard to watch on account of the mothers. Unbearable if you have kids but so bloody well acted ... so far! And beautifully shot.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    This is so good - but finding it very hard to watch on account of the mothers. Unbearable if you have kids but so bloody well acted ... so far! And beautifully shot.

It's George's father that's really upsetting me - the stillness and raw emotion :cry:
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very good...but heartbreaking good....beautiful Africa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    It's George's father that's really upsetting me - the stillness and raw emotion :cry:
    I'm almost having to tune out in these scenes...:cry::(:(:(
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martha has just arrived. This show is heart wrenching so far but beautifully acted and written.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two excellent actresses in Brenda Blethyn and Hillary Swank,so it should be good.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we supposed to dislike the American mum?
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Two excellent actresses in Brenda Blethyn and Hillary Swank,so it should be good.

Brenda said that making the film had been a life changing experience for her. The people had nothing yet were incredibly generous.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is heart braking stuff :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do you think that Pork Sausage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squadge wrote: »
    why do you think that Pork Sausage?

I just don't find her very likeable. Taking her son out of school for instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we supposed to dislike the American mum?

I dont think so, she is just blaming herself...and is trying to be strong. But she was just trying to give her son an amazing experience. There was a talk of bullying ...that is why she wanted to teach her son herself.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally heartbreaking to think this is daily life :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think so, she is just blaming herself...and is trying to be strong

I disliked her before the son died. Slight improvement since (so far).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what an adventure! And in the US it's not as frowned upon as it is here. Kids pop in an out for home schooling, travel, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really believe it would be better for most kids to have time out of school to learn about the world.
    I think they would learn more than they do in most of our schools!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she made no attempt to sort the bullying issue, or even find out any facts. No wonder her son was a victim of bullying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say if I could afford it and have the relevant support, i would take my DD out of school for 6 months and take her for an amazing trip...i could home school her...and she would get more out it, im sure. ;)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Should be a good watch very surprised they managed to get Hilary Swank on board as well :)

Yeah kudos to the Beeb for managing to ger her on board. Is she a personal friend of Richard Curtis?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she should have given him anti-malarial tablets.

Her choice (unlike many born in Africa).
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah kudos to the Beeb for managing to ger her on board. Is she a personal friend of Richard Curtis?

more a case of if the money is right
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She took medical advice nd they said it wasnt needed. Part of the problem I that mosquitos doesn't stick to the lines on map!