So who needs Bruce?

Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to a press release today, the SCD format is one of the BBC's great successes - being shown in 30 or so countries around the world.

If proof were ever need that Bruce is 'essential' to the show then this fact rather suggests that, in the absence of him, the show does remarkably well.

Nice to have seen you - to have seen you nice!

Now - just go!

Comments

• jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Can we not just celebrate how wonderful Strictly Come Dancing is?
    Strictly is a fantastic success story we have exported around the world.
    Strictly and it's off shoots have brought dancing to millions people, have stopped clubs from closing because of dwindling membership and made sure there will be plenty of younger people coming up through the ranks for years to come.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    I think he will be strong and not answer to the phone call propositions from the crew, be a gent and let someone else have a go. The BBC can be snakes at times when they want to be. :(
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Mail, Bruce's return will be welcomed by the BBC.

Maybe in a reduced role?

I can see it now, it may become similar to the situation with Jack Warner in the final series of "Dixon of Dock Green." They "wheeled him on" at the beginning of each programme to say; "'evenin' all!" and back again at the end to say; "Mind how you go!"
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe in a reduced role?...

Won't be welcomed by many viewers.

Can't the BBC realise that the show is a (world wide) success despite, rather than because, of his presence.

Reduced role?

Reduced to zero would be a good start and then we could actually watch and enjoy SCD rather than a fumbling bumbling 'Bruce Forsyth Show'.
  • IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one much.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps Mrs. Forsyth.....?
    Forum Member

Maybe in a reduced role?

I can see it now, it may become similar to the situation with Jack Warner in the final series of "Dixon of Dock Green." They "wheeled him on" at the beginning of each programme to say; "'evenin' all!" and back again at the end to say; "Mind how you go!"

Think I've found a link here from TellyMix:

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/strictly-come-dancing/136327-strictly-come-dancing-2013-will-sir-bruce-forsyth-be-back.html?redir

I find the BBC agenda on this quite crafty and suspect to be fair. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been praying for years that Bruce would get the axe. He made some awful blunders in the last series and should now be retired.
    Forum Member
    HeidiB wrote: »
    I have been praying for years that Bruce would get the axe. He made some awful blunders in the last series and should now be retired.

Try telling that to the director general and the controller of the BBC one. They just want him to stay so they can pay him more money. A lame excuse to protect their golden boy which doesn't add up. :mad:
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    Try telling that to the director general and the controller of the BBC one. They just want him to stay so they can pay him more money. A lame excuse to protect their golden boy which doesn't add up. :mad:
    Golden BOY?:eek:

Must be the oldest BOY on the planet!
    Forum Member
    I said that because BBC are biased towards him and covered up any of his wrongdoings, may even write to the director general and say that he's not fit to wear the shirt anymore. They have plenty other talented presenters who so could have potential yet they are having this attitude of we/i know best as per usual. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    The only places Bruce is not loved and popular is on these forums.

It's like the AV vote. Huge majority on twitter were in favour, and a thumping majority of the country were against.

So easy to carp so do difficult to present live tv like Strictly as was proved by the embarassing Bruce free show last year.

Puts on crash helmet and retires to bunker.... :-)
    Forum Member
    Tall Paul wrote: »

They have plenty other talented presenters who so could have potential yet they are having this attitude of we/i know best as per usual. :mad:

There are NO talented presenters who know a fig about dancing other than Anton....
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DougP wrote: »
    There are NO talented presenters who know a fig about dancing other than Anton....

Anton a talented presenter :confused: Have you seen his presenting? IMO he doesn't have what it takes to be a host on a prime time live tv show!

You don't need to be a dancer or to have in depth dance knowlege of dance to be able to present on Strictly - Tess and Claudia can't dance for toffee but they still present on Strictly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really true. The only place he is loved is in his own mind and in the minds of a few die-hard sycophantic fans who remember yesteryear better than they remember yesterday.
    So easy to carp so do difficult to present live tv like Strictly as was proved by the embarassing Bruce free show last year.

The fact that SCD is successfully marketed in 40 different countries, 39 of which do not have to endure the seat squirming embarrassment of Brucie rather suggests that he is by no means unique nor essential to the show.

Please leave the bunker in an orderly fashion! :)
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »

You don't need to be a dancer or to have in depth dance knowlege of dance to be able to present on Strictly - Tess and Claudia can't dance for toffee but they still present on Strictly!

Not true. You need some dance knowledge and the Tess Claudia show last year was AWFUL.

Do hope Anton replaces Bruce.
    Forum Member
    Not really true. The only place he is loved is in his own mind and in the minds of a few die-hard sycophantic fans who remember yesteryear better than they remember yesterday.

The ratings would have collapsed by now if this is true.

You are just wrong in attributing arrogance to a charming gentleman who deserves the huge ratings he is getting in the later years of a great career. I am neither die-hard nor sycophantic just sick of the rudeness and misery on these boards from people like you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings would have collapsed by now if this is true.

You are, with the greatest respect, missing the point.

The ratings have not collapsed, despite, not because of, Bruce.

If you watch versions in other countries you will see that it is possible to 'manage' the show with a competent presenter without in any way detracting from the overall enjoyment of the show.

As was demonstrated in the last series, viewing figures actually went up when Bruce was not present.

None of this is rude, nor is it promoting misery, it is a simple fact, as you would see if you could find time to read through the, admittedly overpowering numbers, of posts on these Forums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. You need some dance knowledge and the Tess Claudia show last year was AWFUL.

Do hope Anton replaces Bruce.

You don't need someone with dance knowledge to present - the presenter is simply there to host the show - he/she is not there to judge.

You may not like Tess or Claudia but as previously pointed out the ratings weren't affected when they presented without Bruce.

It would be disaster a replacing Bruce with Anton because he simply cannot present! In all the tv presenting work I've seen him do, he has made a hash of it!
  • komentaightorkomentaightor Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's like the AV vote. Huge majority on twitter were in favour, and a thumping majority of the country were against.

Puts on crash helmet and retires to bunker.... :-)

No need for crash helmet, Doug, you inhabit a parallel universe that is not in touch with the reality of this one.

Bruce makes a huge number of people cringe, really cringe, and want to switch off. When so many other presenters and newsreaders have been given their P45s by the BBC on account of Being Too Old, it is a real insult to them that someone as past shelf-life, incompetent and doddery as Bruce should be allowed to continue because nobody at the BBC has the guts to turn the life support system off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he only comes over as doddery because the very nature of Strictly is that it is Live and runs at a pace where there is no opportunity for re-takes. Bruce was interviewed by Michael Grade on the recent TVC documentary and he came over as good as he did 20 years ago.

I'm very interested (as well as a bit apprehensive) to see where the show will go after this season or the next, which is when I expect Bruce to go, but I don't understand the hate for the guy on these pages. There are people I can't stand on TV and so I don't watch those programmes. I would suggest the same for Bruce-haters.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I do - he is one of the factors that makes the show what it is. Although a replacement could easily be found, the show wouldn't be the same. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do - he is one of the factors that makes the show what it is. Although a replacement could easily be found, the show wouldn't be the same. :)

Bruce was one of the factors when I first started watching it because he was a familiar face from my childhood and I did used to enjoy him on the show despite his flaws.

He was good for Strictly when it first started but now he's obviously struggling with the presenting and at times can be very over bearing I feel he spoils the show. To those who say it's 'hatred' to point that out - it's not, it's just people dislike the fact that he's paid a generous sum of money at license fee payers expense to do a job that he's now unable to do properly - in any other job someone would be talked into retiring.

A replacement would make it a different show but hopefully with the right presenter the show would change for the better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce makes a huge number of people cringe, really cringe, and want to switch off. When so many other presenters and newsreaders have been given their P45s by the BBC on account of Being Too Old, it is a real insult to them that someone as past shelf-life, incompetent and doddery as Bruce should be allowed to continue because nobody at the BBC has the guts to turn the life support system off.

Well said!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Although a replacement could easily be found, the show wouldn't be the same. :)

True enough. It would be much better.

We never want to see another disgraceful exhibition by a bad tempered old man such as he offered at the end of the last series.

Any other presenter, and I do mean any, would have been dropped after that.

It's no good living on past glories if you can't manage the pace - and he, sadly, very sadly, cannot.