Mendip ITV C4 Mux has disappeared?

EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... was there a retune that I missed recently? ... I watch the channel 4 channels all the time and they've all disappeared from my freeview as of today ...

I'm getting good signal intensity & quality on Ch No 54 which is where I believe this Mux should be, but none of the channels are showing up?

... I've tried resetting the box with the cable out and then tried scanning the channels individually which is usually the way I re-set my (old) freeview box, but ain't working ...

... soooo ... any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, and has Mendip had some changes I missed? ... thanks! x

Comments

• EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... ok ... managed to get them back on my freeview box ... had to delete the channels individually before re-scanning 54 ... don't think I've had to do that before!

... still wondering how it is I missed a re-scan notice since I spend a lot of time watching all of the C4 channels! ... thanks! x
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably missed it because there wasn't one :)

What is quite likely is you were suffering interference from some other transmitter on the same frequency as the missing mux. A common complaint during the current atmospheric conditions. It's possible that had you left it the channels would have come back all by themselves when the interference subsided. Alternatively there may have been some engineering work going on affecting that mux. Again the channels could well have come back all by themselves at the end of the work

The only new channel I know about is Drama, which is on the same mux as ITV3, Quest and 5USA etc. Not on the ITV/C4/C5 mux.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on Mendip and haven't noticed anything unusual since the July 4th retune for LCN20
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might b the weather making some signals weaker than normal. Lots of posts on this recently. It can also boost signals too, so distant signals from miles away operating on same frequency might reach you and conflict with your local service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... thanks guys! ... it was gone for a full day on all my tvs so I'm guessing not atmospheric ... and on my computer it was definitely missing right before a re-tune & appeared directly after, so odd timing if I did manage to coincide with a maintenance issue!

... I know I've had issues with whatever transmitter is south of the Mendip one since they switched over and the signal was increased so I have to re-tune manually to avoid picking up poor signal versions instead ... they must use different channels to Mendip though, so not sure they could be interfering with just the signal ... maybe something from France!

... I don't believe I re-tuned on 4th July, so maybe it was some hangover from that!

Thanks! x
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EmmaGx wrote: »
    ... thanks guys! ... it was gone for a full day on all my tvs so I'm guessing not atmospheric ... and on my computer it was definitely missing right before a re-tune & appeared directly after, so odd timing if I did manage to coincide with a maintenance issue!

... I know I've had issues with whatever transmitter is south of the Mendip one since they switched over and the signal was increased so I have to re-tune manually to avoid picking up poor signal versions instead ... they must use different channels to Mendip though, so not sure they could be interfering with just the signal ... maybe something from France!

... I don't believe I re-tuned on 4th July, so maybe it was some hangover from that!

Thanks! x
    The way Freeview TVs and PVRs work can be a bit dumb at times. They scan the entire TV band from one end to the other looking for signals and very often pick the first set they find and allocate those to the "normal" channel numbers.

If they then encounter another set of signals they allocate those to numbers up in the 800s. Which is OK if your local transmitter is the one picked up first. if it isn't then you get the weaker remote transmitter on the normal channel numbers and the local transmitter up in the 800s.

This can happen anytime not just when the atmospheric conditions are like they are just now. So a manual tune to force the TV or PVR to pick up the local transmitter is often the only way to ensure you get the right channels on the right numbers.

Or the other trick is to start an auto scan with the aerial unplugged then plug it back in when the scan gets to the right place. if you get it right that can bypass the weaker transmitter altogether. Or use an attenuator to hopefully drop the distant transmitter signal below the detection threshold without affecting the wanted transmitter too much.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @EmmaGx, You may wish to bookmark the Mendip site here:http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ST564488 , it has lots of useful information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The way Freeview TVs and PVRs work can be a bit dumb at times. They scan the entire TV band from one end to the other looking for signals and very often pick the first set they find and allocate those to the "normal" channel numbers.

If they then encounter another set of signals they allocate those to numbers up in the 800s. Which is OK if your local transmitter is the one picked up first. if it isn't then you get the weaker remote transmitter on the normal channel numbers and the local transmitter up in the 800s.

This can happen anytime not just when the atmospheric conditions are like they are just now. So a manual tune to force the TV or PVR to pick up the local transmitter is often the only way to ensure you get the right channels on the right numbers.

Or the other trick is to start an auto scan with the aerial unplugged then plug it back in when the scan gets to the right place. if you get it right that can bypass the weaker transmitter altogether. Or use an attenuator to hopefully drop the distant transmitter signal below the detection threshold without affecting the wanted transmitter too much.
    ... yup, that's exactly what I have to do! ... if it does end up picking up two channels they both end up with the same number though ... I've never ended up with 800 numbers! ... thanks! x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    @EmmaGx, You may wish to bookmark the Mendip site here:http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ST564488 , it has lots of useful information.
    ... thanks! ... yup, I usually end up there whenever I have to re-tune! x