Why are Yorkshire people so obsessed with Yorkshire?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale has given a rather idealised view of the county :p

And brought all the bloody sight seeers!

Yes, The Woolpack IS a real pub.. No, it's not the same inside as on TV - as that's a set, in a studio....

http://www.yorkshire.com/view/food-drink/escholt/the-woolpack-esholt-1427819

Mark1974, enjoy that website - it's got all that's good about God's County on it....
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Maybe they just feel like a lot of people who are put down by people in the South? That is that they're not better than anywhere else but they're just a good.

NEWSFLASH - people in the south really spend very little time thinking about, talking about, putting down or bitterly resenting people from other parts of the country. We don't nurse a victim complex either we're too busy getting on with our lives.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH - people in the south really spend very little time thinking about, talking about, putting down or bitterly resenting people from other parts of the country. We don't nurse a victim complex either we're too busy getting on with out lives.

Hahahaha, quality!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I love Yorkshire. And I say that as a Lancastrian. How many counties have their own airline?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    how about Cornwall?

We aren't as bad as OP suggests is the case for Yorkshire.

There's the odd Cornish flag, there are never England flags (except during the world cup), and yes, people make fun of tourists and there is a friendly rivalry with Devon, but it's not serious. The number of people wanting Cornish independence you could likely count on one hand (personally I'd prefer a south west regional government)
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I love Yorkshire. And I say that as a Lancastrian. How many counties have their own airline?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA

I was hoping it was Hale & Pace - my pal's from Yorkshire and she loves that sketch too.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    We aren't as bad as OP suggests is the case for Yorkshire.

There's the odd Cornish flag, there are never England flags (except during the world cup), and yes, people make fun of tourists and there is a friendly rivalry with Devon, but it's not serious. The number of people wanting Cornish independence you could likely count on one hand (personally I'd prefer a south west regional government)

A fair few rear windscreen and bumper stickers for the Devon and Cornwall flags.

But I'd say too it's a friendly rivalry.
    Although there have been some nasty fights over the best way to eat scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream and who has the better pasties :)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye reet, Ah'm from Yorkshire.

Oh sod it, I dunno. Strong sense of identity, perhaps? I lived for years in the Midlands and it always struck me they were the diametric opposite - having a total inferiority complex and self-loathing and at the same time wildly defensive when slagged off.

I come from a place where people loathe outsiders and outsiders might be from the next village. To a casual observer; they'd be other Yorkshire folk... Less like that now. My husband is a Southerner and he is far more popular with the locals than I am. 30 years ago he'd have had abuse hurled at him in the street, the Southern jessy.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Not another one of your Yorkshire knocking threads, why haven't you moved??
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I think it is nice that people can be proud of where they come from. It's probably seems a little outdated now though, as the world gets smaller and smaller.

I suspect that it's not PC either, given we're not allowed to be patriotic these days, for fear of being branded with some sort of ism by an interested minority group.

Yes it is nice that people can be proud of where they come from, I like being from Yorkshire and having a Yorkshire accent, (which imo, has nothing brain-dead or 'Dingle' about it) we are just as good as anyone else, Southerners included!
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people will be proud of the county they are born in.
    One of my kids was born in Yorkshire and she is proud to be a Yorkshire woman.
    I love rural Yorkshire and visit it as often as possible

The Tour de France did all of Yorkshire a lot of favours and I for one was pleased to see Gary Verity rewarded recently for his work done to get that to come to Yorkshire.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I think it is nice that people can be proud of where they come from. It's probably seems a little outdated now though, as the world gets smaller and smaller.

I suspect that it's not PC either, given we're not allowed to be patriotic these days, for fear of being branded with some sort of ism by an interested minority group.

There's truth in that.
    I visit Yorkshire frequently. I love the place and I've always found the people very friendly. I like their down to earth approach too.
    Why shouldn't they take a pride in where they live?
    I am intensely proud of Scotland and am not ashamed of ithat

In this country we're very lucky to have access to so many beautiful places.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Tomas cook are doing coach tours of Yorkshire including Mansfield to visit the Tunisian community market. Also Rotherham, and a look around the markets and then to Halifax to watch bank adverts being made then onto watch Friday prayers in Bradford and a photo stop tour of the minarets and domes of Bradford.

Wouldn't interest me!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Aye reet, Ah'm from Yorkshire.

Oh sod it, I dunno. Strong sense of identity, perhaps? I lived for years in the Midlands and it always struck me they were the diametric opposite - having a total inferiority complex and self-loathing and at the same time wildly defensive when slagged off.

I come from a place where people loathe outsiders and outsiders might be from the next village. To a casual observer; they'd be other Yorkshire folk... Less like that now. My husband is a Southerner and he is far more popular with the locals than I am. 30 years ago he'd have had abuse hurled at him in the street, the Southern jessy.

Like Alfie Moon wandering into Emmerdale ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not another one of your Yorkshire knocking threads, why haven't you moved??

I was born in Yorkshire, I live in Yorkshire, so it makes me slightly more qualified to talk about the place than someone who I'm guessing is from Kent.

If I lived in Kent I wouldn't be moaning, and as for me moving, well if I had the money I'd be straight on the M1.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkshire's relatively rural still, like Leicestershire, where I live and which I like for that reason.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,062
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    Agreed. I lived in Liverpool for a few years and Scousers would talk about it as though it was the greatest place on earth. All I saw was a great deal of deprivation, 'scallies' in Lacoste tracksuits, rows of boarded up houses, a great deal of low-level crime and intimidation, and people who liked to blame Margaret Thatcher for everything that had ever gone wrong in their lives.

I don't know Yorkshire all that well but much of Wales is very parochial and small-minded.

I can't disagree with you. The scallies are very weird but to be fair you do get them in a lot of northern cities, you do kind of get used to them and they don't affect my life really they're just a bit annoying. I just don't understand why they dress like that for starters. But saying that Liverpool is a great city, I like it a lot and that's not just because of where my family are from. I've travelled extensively around the UK and the world.

As for Yorkshire, I've always really enjoyed going there. Always tended to be nearer the Leeds end (and little villages near Selby), of course York is wonderful, but I've never been to Wakefield!
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I've always found people from Essex to be far prouder (sickeningly so) of where their from - at least Yorkshire has beautiful countryside and pretty little towns; Essex is one tanning shop after another.
    Still, neither of them beat the excellence and superiority of Lancashire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire's relatively rural still, like Leicestershire, where I live and which I like for that reason.

I used to live in various parts of Leicestershire and it's so much nicer (and cleaner) than here. I used to laugh when people called Coalville a dump. Compared to many of the West and South Yorkshire towns, Coalville is like Surrey! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    I've always found people from Essex to be far prouder (sickeningly so) of where their from - at least Yorkshire has beautiful countryside and pretty little towns; Essex is one tanning shop after another.
    Still, neither of them beat the excellence and superiority of Lancashire.

I grew up in Lancashire (Colne) after leaving Bradford at the age of 7. We lived there until I was 16, way back in 1990, before moving to the East Midlands. I still have many friends who live in the Colne area, and a mate of mine who moved all of 8 miles from Colne to Carleton (near Skipton) said he couldn't believe how much Yorkshire people boasted about being from Yorkshire, etc. Just 8 miles from Colne, where people are also proud, proud of Lancashire, but don't find the need to bleat on about it.

Lancashire has some dumps, but some lovely areas too. Essex also has some lovely places (Dedham Vale, Maldon, Finchingfield, Saffron Walden). It ain't all Tilbury Docks you know! :D
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I think it can be a case of 'the grass is always greener.' That's how it was for me, anyway. I've lived in a few places and when I lived in Yorkshire couldn't really understand the fuss, but now I understand the good things about it. When I lived there I was desperate to live away, and then I found some of the places I moved to were nice, but not as great as I'd imagined them to be.

Lesson is that there's good and bad everywhere.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, you seem to have an unhealthy attitude towards a place where you were born and now live in. It can't just be about litter, surely?
    I live in a town between Bradford and Dewsbury and I'm quite happy with it - for now. I'd be at pains to ship out if this place went down the route of the aforementioned rather than creating threads whining about my lot.
    Regarding Emmerdale, since they dropped the 'Farm' and a bunch of older actors either croaked or left, a lot of the cast sound bugger all like Yorkshire folk. Quite a few are played by Lancastrians and North Easterners, including the manky Dingles and all their scuz.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Leicestershire is lovely. I miss it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I heard Tomas cook are doing coach tours of Yorkshire including Mansfield to visit the Tunisian community market. Also Rotherham, and a look around the markets and then to Halifax to watch bank adverts being made then onto watch Friday prayers in Bradford and a photo stop tour of the minarets and domes of Bradford.

Wouldn't interest me!

Mansfield is in Nottinghamshire, not Yorkshire, and by quite some distance...
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Agreed. I lived in Liverpool for a few years and Scousers would talk about it as though it was the greatest place on earth. All I saw was a great deal of deprivation, 'scallies' in Lacoste tracksuits, rows of boarded up houses, a great deal of low-level crime and intimidation, and people who liked to blame Margaret Thatcher for everything that had ever gone wrong in their lives.

I don't know Yorkshire all that well but much of Wales is very parochial and small-minded.

The city centre of Liverpool is absolutely beautiful though. I'd love to live nearer the centre but alas I don't think I'll have anywhere near enough funds the next few years!