BBC News

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    The only context of this thread is that Clive Myrie is a crap presenter end of. That's all that matters.

I think he is excellent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, It's Not About Races
    Just Places
    Faces
    Where Your Blood
    Comes From
    Is Where Your Space Is
    I've Seen The Bright
    Get Duller
    I'm Not Going To Spend
    My Life Being A Color

From Jacko's Black or White
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 ethnics..., in one day. Cripes. Were these 'ethnics' main presenters? Part of BBC world news, reporting from foreign places?

How does this figure in your ratio?

http://tvnewsroom.org/bbc/bbc-news/bbc-national-presenters-4315/

Too many..not enough?

Ive had BBC news on since 8 oclock...not seen one 'ethnic' main presenter.

My point is that BBC News is not always representative. You are the one who cant accept someone else's viewpoint without trying to make it more than it is. I'm glad you have had BBC News on since 8am. It I nice to see a non ethnic day is happening! (I jest of course).
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    See, It's Not About Races
    Just Places
    Faces
    Where Your Blood
    Comes From
    Is Where Your Space Is
    I've Seen The Bright
    Get Duller
    I'm Not Going To Spend
    My Life Being A Color

From Jacko's Black or White

That coming from a man who cried when he saw all the judges were white when he was in the dock for molesting. And he said race doesn't matter? Big hypocrite.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    My point is that BBC News is not always representative. You are the one who cant accept someone else's viewpoint without trying to make it more than it is. I'm glad you have had BBC News on since 8am. It I nice to see a non ethnic day is happening! (I jest of course).

Representative of what?

I can accept others viewpoints. A few questions really shouldnt be that hard should it.

What is the ratio you are talking about? You have still to say considering you have been using it as a guide between ethnic presenters and white. Is it your own black white ratio or an offical figure?

Again.
    http://tvnewsroom.org/bbc/bbc-news/bbc-national-presenters-4315/

How does your 7 ethnic presenters in one day and only one white tally with this link. Are you saying the majority of these presenters, including BBC world news, were used in one day. Or is that just a little bull you made up becasue you dont really know what you mean by ratio?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    How many ethnic presenters by comparison do Sky News have? And ITV? As I say, ethnic presenters are absolutely fine, but all I would say is just keep your staffing wholly representative to the audience you are trying to reach out too.

Interesting you haven't noticed a significant change in recent times with Sky News in the balance of presenters, you notice the ethnic presenters but haven't spotted a far more obvious on screen change.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More to the point- there are far more female, than male presenters.

Apart from Breakfast, when it is always one of each, the only senior male newsreader is Huw Edwards.

Regular females are Fiona Bruce, Sophie Raworth, Reeta Chakrabati, and Jane Hill. Kate Silverton will be back from maternity leave at some point. The only males on BBC1 are all 'occassionals' like Simon McCoy, Ben Brown, and Clive Myrie. None of them have ever presented the 'Ten' or 'Six' but can, occassionally, be trusted with the 'One' or weekend.

Same for BBC London, where I make it six women v two men (Riz Lateef, Victoria Hollins, Louisa Preston, Alice Bhanhukravi, Katherine Carpenter, Sonja Jeesup, (on maternity leave) v Asad Ahmad, and Alex Bushill. Chris Rogers very occasionally turns up (about 6 days a year!) if all his other radio/News Channel/World News/reporting abroad commitments permit, so is really holiday cover for a few weeks a year, and not a regular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point- there are far more female, than male presenters.

Apart from Breakfast, when it is always one of each, the only senior male newsreader is Huw Edwards.

Regular females are Fiona Bruce, Sophie Raworth, Reeta Chakrabati, and Jane Hill. Kate Silverton will be back from maternity leave at some point. The only males on BBC1 are all 'occassionals' like Simon McCoy, Ben Brown, and Clive Myrie. None of them have ever presented the 'Ten' or 'Six' but can, occassionally, be trusted with the 'One' or weekend.

Same for BBC London, where I make it six women v two men (Riz Lateef, Victoria Hollins, Louisa Preston, Alice Bhanhukravi, Katherine Carpenter, Sonja Jeesup, (on maternity leave) v Asad Ahmad, and Alex Bushill. Chris Rogers very occasionally turns up (about 6 days a year!) if all his other radio/News Channel/World News/reporting abroad commitments permit, so is really holiday cover for a few weeks a year, and not a regular.

Then you look at GMB, when most of the time it's an all feminine lineup and content to boot.
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clive Myrie is a good presenter.
    I don't mind " ethnics " or " women " but I wonder how anybody can argue there isn't positive discrimination - not that I'm saying the news is better presented by 40+ white males - but it seems it hardly ever is now compared to being mostly the case before.
    It isn't just the BBC - SKY coverage of news with Kay Burley for example, most women I know can't stand her. Then we have sports presenters, again a massive change to women from men in particular SKY football - where it certainly seems to be a requirement to be female eye candy.
    It has to be better than the typical US news with attractive 30 something women alongside 60 something " veterans - that's rubbish.
    One thing the BBC still features is the 60 something female eg Kirsty Wark on Newsnight - which has to be the most endangered group. Not helped of course by turning off viewers. If only Kirsty was presenting for Stephen Smith's interview with Iris Apfel - which contained the sage advice that women over a certain age shouldn't wear inappropriately short skirts. Last week Kirsty was displaying a length of upper thigh cellulite which could not be unseen - quite put me off my prawn bhuna. Both Kirsty and the camera direction to blame - but an example of why we will end up with pretty young women and men in suits - its just the way things work.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the OP to get started on the representation of gays and lesbians among the presenters, the BBC certainly do their bit and good luck to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the OP to get started on the representation of gays and lesbians among the presenters, the BBC certainly do their bit and good luck to them.

I don't know about gay representation, but there's certainly a lack of transsexual representation on national bulletins. Maybe Huw could move over to address this?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about gay representation, but there's certainly a lack of transsexual representation on national bulletins. Maybe Huw could move over to address this?:D

Are you sure about that?

Google 'Caroline Wyatt'.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive Myrie isn't a great presenter.

I like him :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody at the Beeb must have read my comment on no males.

Clive Myrie presenting the 'Ten' tonight.

A first?
  • SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Using the dreadful Clive on the 10 was the whole point of the thread.
    Anyone watching the news on BBC 1 today would think that white people couldn't be news presenters...
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less if they were sky blue with pink spots as long as they can do the job! Jeez, we even have ENGLISH men doing the weather on BBC Scotland! Imagine that!!:cool:
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Anyone watching the news on BBC 1 today would think that white people couldn't be news presenters...

If that person was a moronic imbecile of the highest order then yes, I could very well see how they might think that. Luckily, such brain retentive plankton are very far and few between. We are talking locked up for their own safety levels of dumbness in order to reach such a mind dripping void of un-thought as thinking white people could not be newsreaders. So maybe not 'anyone' eh? Just a special few.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that person was a moronic imbecile of the highest order then yes, I could very well see how they might think that. Luckily, such brain retentive plankton are very far and few between. We are talking locked up for their own safety levels of dumbness in order to reach such a mind dripping void of un-thought as thinking white people could not be newsreaders. So maybe not 'anyone' eh? Just a special few.
    Very succinct. ;)
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Insults thrown at diversity AND trade unionists

little progress since I sat, as a diverse trade union representative, on many BBC 'equality' committees

little progress in the audience, that is, not the BBC.

An all time low for Digital Spy!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Using the dreadful Clive on the 10 was the whole point of the thread.

You only have to watch ITV News or Sky News in that case - but no-one bangs on about the ethnicity of their presenters because they are mainly white.
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC really wants to be truly representative of the British population at least one Polish news reader / presenter is required!

OK, there's Tomasz Schaffenacker - but he's a Met. Office employee.

Problem with this whole thread is it just exposes some people's colour prejudice, rather than any issues surrounding ethnicity in general.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    If the BBC really wants to be truly representative of the British population at least one Polish news reader / presenter is required!

OK, there's Tomasz Schaffenacker - but he's a Met. Office employee.

Problem with this whole thread is it just exposes some people's colour prejudice, rather than any issues surrounding ethnicity in general.

No it doesn't. It has nothing to do with colour prejudice. It is to do with the fact that as our population I still around 85% white, that the large amount of ethnic presenters is too much in comparison of white/ethnic ratio. It isn't important in the whole scheme of things and it is merely intended as an observation rather than as attack. Some posters as usual, got defensive and authoritive because the BBC was singled out, but no one in their right mind actually cares who presents the News as long as they are good at it.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the point of this thread at all.

People complain about positive discrimination and say it should be a meritocracy, then when it is a meritocracy they complain about that too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Sod what colour news presenters are, and disregard whether the BBC have the right 'ratio' to reflect British society. Let's just have the best people for the job.

All in all, I think the presenters are all very good, except for Nicholas Owen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one in their right mind actually cares who presents the News as long as they are good at it.

Right on, Wizzywick.