Options

BBC News

Comments

• Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It has nothing to do with colour prejudice. It is to do with the fact that as our population I still around 85% white, that the large amount of ethnic presenters is too much in comparison of white/ethnic ratio. It isn't important in the whole scheme of things and it is merely intended as an observation rather than as attack. Some posters as usual, got defensive and authoritive because the BBC was singled out, but no one in their right mind actually cares who presents the News as long as they are good at it.

I cant speak for some posters but asking what ratio you are using is not being defensive. It is discussion/debate about clarification of your opinon that the representation of 'ethnic' people on the BBC is wrong/too much/out of proportion.

You say our population is still around 85% white. That figures with the BBC's policy to have 15% on air staff from 'ethnic' backgrounds does it not. Yet becasue you see a few 'ethnics' in one day you arrive at the conclusion that it is disproportionate? Could you tell me the percentage of 'ethnics' the BBC has on air.

You also say no one in thier right mind cares who presents the news as long as they are good at it yet you are basing it on skin colour regardless if presenter is Britsh. You put skin colour before that. It's in your previous posts.

Again. How does the link I provided in my previous posts show a disproportionate ratio towards 'ethnics'
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About half the UK population is female but half the BBC newsreaders are not female (even before you start talking about females from ethnic groups).
  • Options
    dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    It would appear that "ethnic" is a new synonym for "non-white". If this is what the OP and others mean, this is, in my mind, wrong.
    I consider myself as belonging to the ethnic group "Scots", and I'm white.
    Have I been getting it wrong?
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    If the BBC really wants to be truly representative of the British population at least one Polish news reader / presenter is required!

Kasia Madera.

Although I think she may have left, as she hasn't been on for ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasia_Madera
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kasia Madera.

Although I think she may have left, as she hasn't been on for ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasia_Madera

She's still on BBC World.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee_eff wrote: »
    It would appear that "ethnic" is a new synonym for "non-white". If this is what the OP and others mean, this is, in my mind, wrong.
    I consider myself as belonging to the ethnic group "Scots", and I'm white.
    Have I been getting it wrong?

I say I'm White British rather than White English for the sake of questionnaires.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Po-ta-to wrote: »
    Sod what colour news presenters are, and disregard whether the BBC have the right 'ratio' to reflect British society. Let's just have the best people for the job.

All in all, I think the presenters are all very good, except for Nicholas Owen.

What don't you like about Nicolas Owen? He's been in the news game for a long time now- seems good to me?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    What don't you like about Nicolas Owen? He's been in the news game for a long time now- seems good to me?

I really can't put my finger on it to be honest. I know he's been a news presenter for a long time and has all the necessary experience, but somehow I find him a little bit flakey. It may just be something like his tone of voice when he's reading the autocue, but I find him somehow less credible than others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Sjsyey..I'll deal with you in a minute.First JordyD..just curious..what is it you don't like about Huw Edwards or Clive Myrie, that 5m people every night for several years ( weekdays and weekends,)senior BBC News management, at least 5 Directors General, Head of Vision and Controller of BBC One do like?(Every single one in that management chain needs to agree to let those two "crap" presenters into people's homes on BBC 1….. Just curious.( ITV News at Ten barely makes 1.3m a night, the BBC One gets 2.3m)

Now...Sisyey.... You really don't like Clive Myrie very much do you? I'm wondering why? He's "dreadful," "rarely turns up and is black." and clearly in your opinion simply not qualified to be reading the 10 o'clock news! You wrote.. "Anyone turning on their TVs for the BBC News at 10, could REASONABLY be expected to think that a strike was taking place"...ie..because no-one's ever heard of him.You were so exercised by this that you took the time to start a thread! Well, your racism sadly shines through..

Here's your other choice quote "Anyone watching the news on BBC 1 today would think that white people couldn't be news presenters."

No young man, anyone watching the news is LISTENING to what the presenter is saying because race isn't an issue for them. YOU watching the news on the other hand,have race at the forefront of your mind...

Have you seen Clive Myrie's CV?? Try Wikipedia. Numerous awards including an RTS, a BAFTA nomination and Emmy citation for coverage of the Iraq War in 2003.Did you see his reporting from Nepal, or Sicily or Sierra Leone in the last year?(Which is where he was when not presenting…not exactly away painting his toe nails.."rarely turns up" you said..Bit lazy is he??..Pal, that's another disgusting racist trope!!!)He is one of the most high profile/well known journalists of his generation....the public know exactly who he is (he's been presenting the news on Sunday's on BBC 1 for 6 years..the most watched BBC News bulletin of the entire week!!)…A fine reporter/presenter who just happens to be black, rather than a black man who happens to be a journalist ..which is what you so sadly see.It's frankly a disgrace he hasn't been allowed to read the 10 on weekdays before!! I'd hazard a guess he's had to put up with a hell of a lot of the crap you've dished out on this thread, throughout his career, and you know what….. he's beaten it all!!

Here's your final dumb quote on this topic "I would prefer to see Sophie Raworth, Fiona Bruce, Simon McCoy (whom you feel so sorry for.....despite the fact he earns close to 200,000 pounds a year to stand in the studio holding a packet of printing paper claiming he mistook it for an iPad... live on air ,)Jane Hill and Emily Maitlis.Now what do all these people have in common?

1.All white
    2.(Excepting Simon of course), all tastey females.

Umm!

Final point..the 2011 census says BAME (minority ethnic) make up of the UK is 13% of population. A Freedom of Information request found that BAME make up at the BBC in London is 13%..ie BANG ON.In fact it's actually underepresentation. The ethnic make up of London itself is 58%!! So all those on this thread whinging about seeing a few black people on the telly…you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourselves why you're so upset???? I'd have more time/respect for you all…. if you were honest!!!
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC also has a different meaning in the younger generation these days, particularly online.

There you will find no white men. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed JordyD!! I watched an edition of Gogglebox on Channel4... I think it was last year, and Clive Myrie was featured reading the news about Ukraine. There were 3 or so lengthy clips of him reading the news ( no-one's ever heard of him eh Sjsyey!!!!!..what a joke!!!!) and they used several cutaways of the reactions of the viewers. NOT A SINGLE PERSON MENTIONED HIS SKIN COLOUR! No-one said "ooh it's that black bloke etc etc.) Gogglebox has people on it from all walks of life, colours, socio-economic backgrounds. NOT ONE PERSON MENTIONED RACE. He read the news and the viewers commented on the story he was reading which was as I say on Ukraine. That's the kind of country I want to bring up my WHITE kids in, not the one populated by some of the folk on this embarrassing thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fan of the cricketers Ramahdin and Valentine, I take it.

Clive Myrie was very wooden when he first started newsreading on the News channel, but is much improved in recent times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well spotted, love my cricket and had the Ashes on on TMS when I started to read this thread........and wanted to throw up!

I assume he was wooden 'cos he hadn't done it before??? Huw Edwards was a lowly Political Correspondent before getting the main gig to replace Sissons and Buerk. He wasn't even Chief Political Correspondent ( John Sergeant,) or Political Editor ( Robin Oakley.)But the BBC saw potential and went for it. That's what it's supposed to do.

I should clarify the viewing figs for the news bulletins..BBC1 at Ten 4-5m a night, BBC1 at One 2.3m a day, ITV News at Ten 1.3m..

They must be doing something right??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ram-

Some people are 'naturals' from the start. Others need time to grow in to the role.

For what it's worth, the ones who aren't 'naturals' usually end up the better newsreaders, because they have been given the job because they are proper journalists (as opposed to 'announcer newsreaders' who may have the presentation skills, but not the brain power to ask the right questions to interviewees).
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after the bbc "changes", it will be unpaid volunteers working the autocue while peddling away on stationary bike to generate electricity .......
  • Options
    SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, when he is out of the studio Clive is clearly a good journalist, but just like I don't think Fiona Bruce is much good on game shows, but is good on the news, I think the BBC have much better auto-cue readers, and studio presenters than Clive, who is much better in the field, I'd be happy to see Clive get a high profile reporting role such as Word Affairs Editor, where I feel his skills would be much better used as he always seems much better out and about.
    Unfortunately people at the BBC seem to think a good reporter will always make a good presenter, but as they are 2 different jobs they don't, other examples of this include Carole Walker and Ben Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well Sysjey we'll have to agree to disagree on the respective merits of Clive Myrie and Simon McCoy. I'm afraid Simon often gives the impression he can't be bothered.There's no energy or passion in his voice, same monotone, same drab delivery. News... to snooze to...Perfect to have on in the background.. of a bank or airport lounge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, that should have read "...NO energy or passion in his voice..."
  • Options
    ytsejamytsejam Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    BBC news is so tinpot!!..they are only just NOW announcing Cilla Blacks death as "BREAKING NEWS" whereas its been on the internet for about an hour and a half!!!......mind you, SKY news are just as slow!!!....
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ytsejam wrote: »
    BBC news is so tinpot!!..they are only just NOW announcing Cilla Blacks death as "BREAKING NEWS" whereas its been on the internet for about an hour and a half!!!......mind you, SKY news are just as slow!!!....

I would rather the BBC spent a few minutes checking on a story rather than rushing it on the air and getting it wrong.When it's a well-known person you should always wait for the police or another official source to confirm it.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because, of course, no news on the internet has ever been proven to be fake. *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I would rather the BBC spent a few minutes checking on a story rather than rushing it on the air and getting it wrong.When it's a well-known person you should always wait for the police or another official source to confirm it.

That's the Sky way.

Sky News, Never wrong for long.
  • Options
    ytsejamytsejam Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Because, of course, no news on the internet has ever been proven to be fake. *rolls eyes*

OH FFS!!!!...it was reported on just about EVERY newspaper, social media and blogging site that there is, so its pretty unlikely to be false, eh?....And in case you didn't realise, the BBC do have at least ONE phone line they can use to check big stories like this (and judging by the fuss they are making of it now, they DO consider it a big story) as soon as they are announced online!! Stop trying to make excuses for sloppy and slow coverage that they are now laughably trying to announce as "BREAKING NEWS"!!
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it should've been broken on the 1pm TOTH (they had an excuse before then as they were airing The Travel Show and not rolling news when it broke at around 12.35), not the 2pm one.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop trying to make excuses for sloppy and slow coverage that they are now laughably trying to announce as "BREAKING NEWS"!!

I don't see what's "sloppy" about having a firm policy to get corroboration from reliable sources before reporting somebody's death.