Options

What to do in London?

2»

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    There's only 3 hours. Best bet is to walk to Trafalger square, then down Whitehall to the House of Commons, then back along the Embankment to Embankment tube station and back up to the Strand for a drink or a bite to eat. Alternatively wander across the road and to Covent Garden.

The Adelphi is close to Charing Cross.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... i suggested quick snack nat theatre foyer as an interesting experience. but if big queues dont bother and just have quick look round. possibly incuding nt shop.

its not really worth eating in a cafe as this will "eat up" part of your 3 hours ! loadsa takeaways including posh exotic ones.

note use the charing x footbridge both directions. and not waterloo bridge other end of the strand.

on strand charing x and waterloo bridges are some distance apart at either end of the strand. but they "almost meet" on south bank of thames.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry smudge. but dont bother with parliament buildings. complete waste of time. in any case best view of them is from footbridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes only 3 hours. but all these locations really are quite close together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... walking from nt along south bank to charing x footbridge then north to st martins then turn right and along strand to adelphi ...... about 15 mins leisurly pace.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    sorry smudge. but dont bother with parliament buildings. complete waste of time. in any case best view of them is from footbridge.

If you've never seen them before they are pretty impressive. I used to use a lot of side streets and snicket ways to get round London, but when we had visitors we'd take them on the main routes so they could see the sights.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    It always seems people that don't live in London find things to do. I live there and find it boring.

Then that is a true shame ... boring it ain't. So much to do and lots of stuff you can do for nothing.

If the OP is still around, three hours is a very tight timescale. The best advice has been given, take yourself over to Covent Garden, find a nice tea shop and watch the world go by, trust me all human life is there;) I lived in Covent Garden for years and it always entertains me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh thanks for all the replies everyone, you've been very helpful! :D I shall definitely take on board a lot of your suggestions :)

I'm so excited now :D
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery are a few minute's walk from Charing Cross station, in Trafalgar Square.

Or you could walk down Villiers Street to the Embankment and cross the Thames by the footbridge, which gives good views downstream towards St Paul's etc. Turn left at the far end, and walk along the South Bank where you'll find the National Theatre, BFI (National Film Theatre), Royal Festival Hall and lots of people strolling by the river. There are bars, restaurants, shops etc and on a nice day it's a very pleasant walk.

Pretty good advice, especially if its sunny :)
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh thanks for all the replies everyone, you've been very helpful! :D I shall definitely take on board a lot of your suggestions :)

I'm so excited now :D

Have a brilliant time, its an amazing city :)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodge the beggars, thieves, and muggers. then you may have a good time.