Man gets out of car and shouts at mobile phone user

124»

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    So, like we were saying, there isn't a blanket ban against eating or drinking behind the wheel, only being demonstrably not in proper control of the vehicle. Unlike handheld phones, which are an offence even if you're a multi-tasking expert.
    So what about a smartphone which is not being used as a phone?
    I use my phone in the car as my MP3 player. Jimmy Carr got off as he said he was technically using a dictaphone and not making a phone call.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    So what about a smartphone which is not being used as a phone?
    I use my phone in the car as my MP3 player. Jimmy Carr got off as he said he was technically using a dictaphone and not making a phone call.

I think technically you need to be using it as a wireless communication device. So in theory you may be able to persuade the court your phone was offline at the time.

Though the other charges are of course still an option if you weren't in proper control of your vehicle.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think technically you need to be using it as a wireless communication device. So in theory you may be able to persuade the court your phone was offline at the time.

Though the other charges are of course still an option if you weren't in proper control of your vehicle.
    But I may press the screen to skip a track just like I would with the car CD player or radio to change channel.

It's not using the device as a communication device (as in a phone)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often scream at drivers who are on their phone.....been doing this even before it was illegal..

I've never had to the nerve to have a pop at a copper on the phone, you will be surprised how many coppers break this law.

I'm not surprised, they're terrible for speeding too, and I don't mean when their lights are on and they're racing to an emergency.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    RemyClarke wrote: »
    Having known her for years, I can assure you she most certainly would NOT have read the message had there been one. How extremely presumptuous of you.

Like I said, she had a mere glance. Had there been a message, she would have waited until we arrived home before she read it. She's an extremely sensible driver. It was nothing more than a 1 second glimpse, equal to someone quickly checking their watch or looking through their rear-view mirror. There was no phone unlocking, no password typing, no nothing.
    Well from a lack luster start, you seem to have gone downhill rather rapidly and gathered speed on the way.
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember that accident on the M3 a couple of years back?

A girl of 22 was driving her peugeot and she slowed down, because of a tail back, and then stopped.

The lorry driver , behind her, didn't slow down , or stop, he just drove straight over her, and killed her, because he was 'just reading messages' on his phone.

It's not like he was actually using it, or anything, Remy.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Which doesn't specify that a person can't eat or drink in a stationary car.

I don't think I wrote that it did.

However, it does cover the legalities of being caught eating at the wheel of the car.
    Forum Member

However, it does cover the legalities of being caught eating at the wheel of the car.
    Yes, that is what I was trying to convey earlier.

Stony ground maybe the environment hereabouts.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

FWIW, I once got a tug for sitting in a Land Rover eating a burger on the street.

The cop tried suggest it was a "proper control of the vehicle" issue but I suspect the reality was that he just thought we looked a bit dodgy and was trying to move us on.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's this and this.

In the first article I think I prefer the fines they're going to do for needlessly hogging the middle lane on a motorway. It's about time too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, no, but you were answering this question;
    But what road law states that drinking and whilst we're at it, eating is completely banned whilst behind the wheel?

And it doesn't state that, does it?
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Waits for the time when driving with children in the car will be penalised.

I find it far more distracting than eating a sweet ...
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RemyClarke wrote: »
    Once when me and two friends had just got back in the car from ASDA, this taxi pulled up besides my friend (who was driving) and said "Oh, she's on her phone, that's why she's driving all over the ****ing place."

My friend, who most certainly was NOT driving all over the place, nor was she on her phone (she had just pulled out her phone to check her messages as the stopped at the lights) just laughed, not wanting to cause a scene. Me on the other-hand, was not prepared to let a taxi driver give out any criticism on someone's driving. So I rolled down the window and said "Is this coming from a ****ing taxi driver? Pipe the **** down." and my friend pulled off.

She was driving and looking at texts on her phone so thats ok then when she should be looking at the road.

Sounds like the same type of driver pulling out of my local asda last week, problem was not only was she talking to her mate at the side of her and on the phone, she was on the wrong side of the road. I pipped my horn she then looked up and just sat there.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The front page of the Daily Mail has a headline claiming those using their mobile at the wheel will be fined £90 if caught. That doesn't sound like anywhere close to a steep enough fine considering using your phone while driving can and has cause death and destruction to others.

This is something that is still such a serious problem, and still isn't being cracked down upon enough.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member

It looks from The Guardian like the proposed legislation (post #86) may well specifically cover eating at the wheel and other things - probably unless safely parked up.

Depends on the wording of the legislation or regulations though. http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/may/09/fines-mobile-phone-driving-increase
    A new penalty of three penalty points and a £90 fine will also be introduced for a number of careless driving offences, including cutting up other drivers, eating a sandwich or lighting a cigarette at the wheel, driving at an inappropriate speed and needlessly hogging the middle lane on a motorway.
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, though the same applies to the other things (tailgating etc), none of which is a specific offence either.

No, but they are intrinsically indicative of careless/dangerous driving though, whereas what I emboldened aren't.