Anne Kirkbride (Diedrie Barlow) dies

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a622697/coronation-streets-deirdre-barlow-actress-anne-kirkbride-dies-aged-60.html

https://twitter.com/itvcorrie/status/557284080963031041

http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/news/anne-kirkbride
It is with great sadness that David Beckett has confirmed tonight that his beloved wife and Coronation Street actress Anne Kirkbride has passed away peacefully in a Manchester hospital after a short illness.

David and the programme's cast and crew are heartbroken and deeply saddened at the loss of Anne who has been a Coronation Street icon for 44 years.

"There are no words to describe the sense of grief we feel at Anne's passing," said Executive Producer Kieran Roberts. "We know only too acutely how much Anne meant to the millions of people who watched her create the legendary character of Deirdre Barlow.

"She will be greatly missed by the Coronation Street team who share happy memories of working with her. We feel blessed and honoured to have known her. Our thoughts are with David and their family."

Comments

• JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my god, that has shocked me to the core.

Devastating news. :(
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this isn't real?
  • LateboomerLateboomer Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    From the Coronation Street official site :

It is with great sadness that David Beckett has confirmed tonight that his beloved wife and Coronation Street actress Anne Kirkbride has passed away peacefully in a Manchester hospital after a short illness.

David and the programme's cast and crew are heartbroken and deeply saddened at the loss of Anne who has been a Coronation Street icon for 44 years.

"There are no words to describe the sense of grief we feel at Anne's passing," said Executive Producer Kieran Roberts. "We know only too acutely how much Anne meant to the millions of people who watched her create the legendary character of Deirdre Barlow.

"She will be greatly missed by the Coronation Street team who share happy memories of working with her. We feel blessed and honoured to have known her. Our thoughts are with David and their family."

ITV Director of Television Peter Fincham echoed Kieran's thoughts.

"Anne has been a truly loyal servant to Coronation Street since joining the programme in the early 1970s. She created a unique and unforgettable character in Deirdre Barlow and she'll be greatly missed on and off screen.

"Our sincerest condolences to Anne's husband David and her family at this very sad time."

Coronation Street’s creator Tony Warren captured the feelings of all who knew Anne:

“Anne was very easy to love. Her talent over the years made a massive contribution to Coronation Street.”

William Roache who played Anne’s onscreen husband Ken Barlow said:

“I feel Anne’s loss so personally having worked closely with her for over 40 years. She was such a loving and vibrant person. You always knew she was there because her laugh was never far away.

"She was an impeccable performer with superb comedy timing and an immense gift for really heightened drama. We had some rows over the years as Ken and Deirdre and it was wonderful to play those scenes opposite her. Coronation Street has lost one of its iconic characters and Anne will be greatly missed.”

Anne is survived by her husband, David, her brother John, and his family.

David has appealed to the media to respect his privacy and that of Anne’s family at this very sad and distressing time.

Anne passed away on Monday evening (19 January) aged 60.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    OMG that's awful :(:(
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this true!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speechless.
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,799
    Forum Member
    OMG, awful news.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Oh My God. Dreadful.
  • x_Toots_xx_Toots_x Posts: 241
    Forum Member
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Oh my God. :cry: I don't even watch Corrie but this is horrible, horrible news. RIP Anne, you will be sorely missed.
  • rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just seen it on the itv website. so sad. RIP Dierdre (Anne) and thank you for all the hours of entertainment over the years.
    A great servant to the show and had some great stoylines.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is terrible news if true R.I.P Anne Kirkbride
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    such sad news RIP Anne

after all that trash in yesterdays papers aswell :(
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Oh my god, that has shocked me to the core.

Devastating news. :(

This is terribly sad news

:(:(:(
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is such a shock. My thoughts are with Anne's friends and family.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an utter shock! RIP! A wonderful lady! X
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    Is this true!! :eek:

Yes been posted on their fb and offical website :(
  • david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg, is this real? Im shocked
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Oh no that's awful! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pit in my stomach, I'm in complete shock.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way I am so shocked. That explains why she hasn't been on screen for a while. So sad I love deirdrie.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg that's so sad to hear :( rip
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely shocking & dreadful news

Everyone at corrie must be devastated and grief-stricken :(
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭