Options

Ripping CDs and movies for personal use is once again illegal in UK

2»

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote: »
    Musicians should be musicians for the love of making music. None of them have a god given right to make a profession out of it.

I feel the same way about accountants and bankers tbh
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced that the link in the OP has interpreted the ruling correctly.

Habitually I tend to buy CD's and then burn them to my hard drive as back up and for transfer to media player. I do not download music either from an an original source such as Itunes or from an illicit source such as Limewire or BitTorrent.

Please tell me if and how you think I may be breaking the law.

You are "breaking the law" by copying your CDs to a hard drive and then transferring the files to a media player as it is technically a breach of copyright. To stay within the law you would have to purchase a separate electronic copy of the album specifically for your media player.

However as more or less everyone who purchases CDs does exactly the same it is a completely unenforceable law aspecially as companies like amazon provide free electronic copies of many CDs when you purchase them.
    There was an article about this on Gizmodo and the final paragraph summed it up perfectly.

Gizmodo were doing so well until they suggested no one buys CDs any more, whilst physical sales are falling they are still a very long way from zero....
  • Options
    SunnyBearsSunnyBears Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Does this mean that technically, when I buy a Cd and put it on the media player on my PC and also put it on my phone to listen to on my walk to work, I'm breaking the law?

What a load of bollocks

That was exactly what I was thinking. Sales of iPods/iPhones will plummet! Apple will go bust :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gizmodo were doing so well until they suggested no one buys CDs any more, whilst physical sales are falling they are still a very long way from zero....

That'll obviously be a load of rubbish, as record labels would stop making them if that were the case. I personally hope audio CDs are around for years to come, or at least until online retailers that sell music start selling people albums/single music files in uncompressed WAV. I prefer having the uncompressed files so I can either have very high quality compressed music on a personal music player or the uncompressed files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That'll obviously be a load of rubbish, as record labels would stop making them if that were the case. I personally hope audio CDs are around for years to come, or at least until online retailers that sell music start selling people albums/single music files in uncompressed WAV. I prefer having the uncompressed files so I can either have very high quality compressed music on a personal music player or the uncompressed files.

I agree, I think CDs will be around for a long time yet as there will always be people who like the quality they provide. Yes there are very high quality digital audio formats around but they seem to have a very high price attached to them which I think it is why they are struggling to take off. Plus, of course, there are still some bands who do not make their music available online.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cds and dvds are very much alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cds and dvds are very much alive.

I think a lot of the preception of the "death" of CDs is down to the lazy way it is reported in the media.

Journalists look at the popular chart acts, whos sales are mainly down to downloading, and say that is proof people aren't buying CDs any more. But if you look on a per genre basis some genres have seen a significantly less reduction in sales than others, which is never reported.

I read an internview with the head of the Rock record label Roadrunner a year or so ago and he said that whilst physical sales have fallen for them it has only fallen in low single figure percentage terms and the fall has been more than compensated by the upturn in vinyl sales. I've never seen or heard that even mentioned in TV or radio reports on the "death" of physical music sales