Options

Sky customers could lose Discovery/Eurosport/Animal Planet/TLC from next week

YouViewYouView Posts: 2,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Q: What is the situation between Sky and Discovery?

A: Sky and NOW TV households in the UK and Ireland could lose all of Discovery’s much-loved channels and programmes after 31st January.

Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and content to the UK for nearly 30 years.

Our portfolio of 12 channels cater to a wide range of personal tastes and interests from adventure, natural history, science and sports to extraordinary people, families, weddings, and true crime.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love.

Q: Which channels are affected?

A: 12 channels of our channels are affected. They are; Discovery Channel, TLC, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, DMAX, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Discovery Science, Discovery History and Home & Health.

Q: What if I am a Virgin Media or BT customer?

A: This situation only affects Sky and NOW TV customers.

Q: What do I need to do to make sure I can keep watching my Discovery channels.

A: We hope to be able to tell you more soon. For updates, please check our website discoveryuk.com and Facebook page @DiscoveryUK.
http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/?id=&p=53

Comments

• Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Oooo that was kept quiet...
  • Options
    StorageHuntersStorageHunters Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I hope sky gets rid of them, discovery don't even have one FTA channel on satellite.
    If quest was FTA I wouldn't be so against discovery
  • Options
    King KuntaKing Kunta Posts: 6,086
    Forum Member
    Utter joke. Greedy bastards. Eurosport offer me so much sport. Sky Sports hasn't even got Australian Open rights.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suddenly, in just one day, with their line rental going up and a whopping 12 channels being threatened with blackout, Sky has become even worse value for money than it already was. That is a hell of a lot of channels to lose in one fell swoop.

I think if the Discovery dispute isn't sorted out Sky should reduce their TV customers bills accordingly, at least until the two organisations can work out a new arrangement. But there's more chance of me learning how to plait fog than there is BSkyB doing the right thing for their customers without being badgered into it.
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    How much would losing 5.5 million potential viewers reduce the advertising worth of the Discovery channels?

Hopefully they'll come to an agreement before the channels disappear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect they might make more out of the Sky payment than they do out of the advertising though, hence why they cannot budge.

You of course have the alternative of getting the channels via BT/PlusNet or Virgin Media.

Discovery, Animal Planet, Turbo, Eurosport 1 & 2 & ID are available via the TV Player Plus package without a long term contract.

Eurosport also now has its own App.
    http://uk.eurosportplayer.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm - Eurosport seem to have a '12 month pass' offer for less than £20 for their player available until 31/1. Wonder if this signals an intention by Discovery to go direct to viewers avoiding the Sky gatekeeper? Wonder if Discovery will launch a similar player for all their channels shortly?
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    Sadly I'm in the 15% who can't get fibre yet. So no chance of using the online players...
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I hate this wheneverSky have a dispute with a Partner over Carridge fees. The same thing happened with Music Choice they couldn't come to an agreement with Sky over the same issue as Discovery. I hope it can be sorted out. Music choice had to withdraw from Sky.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Suddenly, in just one day, with their line rental going up and a whopping 12 channels being threatened with blackout, Sky has become even worse value for money than it already was. That is a hell of a lot of channels to lose in one fell swoop.

I think if the Discovery dispute isn't sorted out Sky should reduce their TV customers bills accordingly, at least until the two organisations can work out a new arrangement. But there's more chance of me learning how to plait fog than there is BSkyB doing the right thing for their customers without being badgered into it.

Sky are fighting for their customers by refusing to overpay for content their own data tells them is ever decreasingly being viewed. You'd be the first to register your outrage on here if Sky were to brazenly add another £1 a month to bills to pay for this demand by Discovery.

Personally I won't miss any of the channels if they disappear.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The content is t good enough to warrant a premium. They should goto freesat and freebies.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    aurichie wrote: »
    Sky are fighting for their customers by refusing to overpay for content

How do you explain the vast overpayment for Premier League football? £11m a game?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are fighting for their customers by refusing to overpay for content their own data tells them is ever decreasingly being viewed. You'd be the first to register your outrage on here if Sky were to brazenly add another £1 a month to bills to pay for this demand by Discovery.

Presumably you would agree that Virgin Media were 'fighting for their customers' when they refused to pay what Sky wanted and dropped Sky 1, Sky News etc?
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The content is t good enough to warrant a premium. They should goto freesat and freebies.

They are trying to get back the £1bn spent on the Olympics rights.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They are not fighting for me. I'll cancel if they drop Eurosport. If it's not resolved within 10 days, I'll head elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are not fighting for me. I'll cancel if they drop Eurosport. If it's not resolved within 10 days, I'll head elsewhere.

We are not privy to the discussions, so do not know what prices are being talked about, but what if say Discovery were asking for double the price, which would mean an increase in subs to cover it, say £3 a month, are you willing to pay that?

As I said, they have paid a fortune for Olympics (much the same as Sky pay for Premier League and BT pay for Champions League), and it appears they are having trouble getting deals done with state broadcasters (Germany at least).
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are not privy to the discussions, so do not know what prices are being talked about, but what if say Discovery were asking for double the price, which would mean an increase in subs to cover it, say £3 a month, are you willing to pay that?

As I said, they have paid a fortune for Olympics (much the same as Sky pay for Premier League and BT pay for Champions League), and it appears they are having trouble getting deals done with state broadcasters (Germany at least).

Yes, I'd pay £3 per month extra. It's going to cost me more than that to change to another provider and receive the channels I am getting from Sky.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never watch any of the Discovery channels apart from Eurosport, and only then for the tennis Grand Slams.

In fact, apart from a couple of shows on Fox and Encore we don't watch any non Sky branded pay channels apart from HD variants.

And with return path data, Sky know that.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've mentioned this on the Broadcasting thread - Discovery could have it's own smart TV app and let individuals sub to that, and we'll find out how popular Discovery is!

Eurosport has it's own app, mobile but not TV anymore :-( and it's fine when cast. No reason why the other Discovery channels can't?
  • Options
    YouViewYouView Posts: 2,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discovery's channels have now been removed from the Sky website, with the exception of Home & Health:

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/channels-shows/

Packages look quite light with all of those channels stripped away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'd pay £3 per month extra. It's going to cost me more than that to change to another provider and receive the channels I am getting from Sky.

The question is, would others?

People have always moaned at having to subside Sky Sports (or more importantly, the Premier League) by paying for it when they have no interest, so is this any different?
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is missing quite a few discovery HD channels of late, that said i doubt i'd miss them except for the superbike coverage.

It's not that i don't like the content but it's finding time to watch any of it, i have more important things to do, sky and BT have nearly all my must see sport covered. Eurosport often screw us on the extra streams, occasionally the sports I want to watch are not on the main channels.

I wonder if Eurosport would consider going la carte, set there own prices in an extra package, if the package agreement doesn't pan out.
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I'm not a huge football fan, but do like to watch sports such as golf, F1, cycling and winter sports, so the loss of Eurosport channels would be a blow.
    I also watch a lot of wildlife programmes on Discovery, Animal Planet etc. so this also adds to the disappointment.
    If I had to take out extra subscriptions for these channels with another provider, then I might as well look at ditching Sky altogether. I can't get either BT fibre or Sky fibre in my area, but Virgin Media is fully available.
    Looking at their packages, I could get all I need for roughly the same as I'm paying now.
    Looks like Sky may well be losing my £80 a month.
    I wonder how many more will be thinking along the same lines?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    Sky is missing quite a few discovery HD channels of late, that said i doubt i'd miss them except for the superbike coverage.

It's not that i don't like the content but it's finding time to watch any of it, i have more important things to do, sky and BT have nearly all my must see sport covered. Eurosport often screw us on the extra streams, occasionally the sports I want to watch are not on the main channels.

I wonder if Eurosport would consider going la carte, set there own prices in an extra package, if the package agreement doesn't pan out.

They could supply all their channels on Satellite for a monthly fee direct, as BT do now for their sports channels, if they so wished.