Windows 8 not so bad...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not! I just couldn't think of another example of average internet use :o I don't care what others want to look at online, as long as it's within reason and nothing illegal.

If you say you aren't, that's good enough for me. It's too easy to misconstrue someone's tone / meaning / intention / inflexion from the written word alone. Although hopefully, if I add a :) here. You will understand that I wasn't trying to get you to bite in any way.

I have thought of a way you could have said it without mocking pussy lovers. If you had said something like 'general youTubing' without narrowing down the specific videos we'd get the message I think.

And in that instance, I wouldn't feel dumb for liking cat videos. Some people like Win 8, some don't, some like cats, some don't.

C'est la vie.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 is dreadful and looks as though it has been designed by Playskool. Those Duplo tiles are awful. However, if you install a third party start menu like Classic Shell or Start8, it's tolerable. I still don't like it though. I think it should have been consigned to the tech scrapheap the day it came out. Am I the only one who thinks the flat desktop of W8 looks a bit like Windows 3.1?

W8 itself is pretty good to be honest. but there are a few compatibility problems. I keep having one which I thought was sorted, so it is getting annoying now. i may have to go back to windows 7 until it is sorted.

But the Os itself is not bad, it is fast, mainly I suppose because they got rid of aero and it certainly boots up faster, if that is important this days I don't know as 99% of the time my computer is in sleep mode and I do a full restart every week

Apart from when I had the memory problem, I have not had a BSoD on window 8, saying that I only got them once in a blue moon with 7
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I'm not! I just couldn't think of another example of average internet use :o I don't care what others want to look at online, as long as it's within reason and nothing illegal.

So your discussing individuals internet usage not W8? I would imagine that whatever someone looked at in W7 they also look at in W8. By that definition, there is no difference between the two OS's except for the start screen.
    I'll live with that.....:D
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Some people just aren't capable of adapting to change, or are just jumping on the hate bandwagon for their own reasons.

No some don't like changes forced on them to use a system that is designed for things they don't actually have.

IE forced to dump the desktop and force to use a metro interface designed of a touch screen or tablet they don't have.

Had they did the bloody obvious thing of making what it booted to optional in the first place, then people may have tried out the metro interface and may have liked it. But no, arrogantly they force that on people and so it's hardly surprising that they were pissed of by that force.

So it's nothing to do with ability to change, it's all about them forcing people to.

And it's all backfired on them. Let's hope they learn not to force things of people and then they may change of their own free will as forcing things on people doesn't, never will and hasn't worked in this case.

I hope they learn from their mistakes.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. I use Windows 8 on a daily basis, and it's fine. Much better than Windows 7 in fact. Some people just aren't capable of adapting to change, or are just jumping on the hate bandwagon for their own reasons. I know quite a few people using Windows 8, and none of them have been as negative as some of the comments on this forum.

It's a steep learning curve for someone not used to Windows, but I find it hard to believe that a Windows 7 user would have that much trouble adjusting to it, unless of course learning difficulties and other challenges are factored in.

Again completely missing the point and trying to suggest that somehow some people can't cope with Metro.

Metro is simple, an idiot can use it, the problem is that for some power users it's woefully inadequate. As a software engineer I could not do my job anything like as efficiently with Metro as I can with the desktop.

Yes W8 does have the desktop, the main complaint is that Microsoft have not made this properly available without 3rd party add ons.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. I use Windows 8 on a daily basis, and it's fine. Much better than Windows 7 in fact. Some people just aren't capable of adapting to change, or are just jumping on the hate bandwagon for their own reasons. I know quite a few people using Windows 8, and none of them have been as negative as some of the comments on this forum.

It's a steep learning curve for someone not used to Windows, but I find it hard to believe that a Windows 7 user would have that much trouble adjusting to it, unless of course learning difficulties and other challenges are factored in.

Suggesting that people who have trouble adjusting to Win8 must have learning difficulties is totally ridiculous.
    It's been criticised throughout the professional media, by people who have spent their lives reviewing systems and software.
    The bottom line is that it should never have been pushed for use on non-touchscreen devices. It was never going to be natural or intuitive for use on anything but a touchscreen. It can be done, but it's just an awkward compromise.
    People adapt to change quite quickly when they can see obvious benefits as a result of making the effort.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS is releasing a mouse with Win-key on it . That can make W8 experience better for intensive mouse users.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I'm using windows 8 with classic shell and prefer it to windows 7. Its not much different but feels better looking and faster to boot, less than 10 seconds, its amazing!

I haven't used the metro interface or apps once...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    MS is releasing a mouse with Win-key on it . That can make W8 experience better for intensive mouse users.

Yes nice idea, will make navigation a lot easier for those pc users who use metro.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The people who will have problems with Metro (rather than W8) are those who make full use of the desktop and require multiple windows plus a hierarchical start menu. For them Metro just doesn't cut it, it is too "simple". These people are experienced and highly demanding users not newcomers.

If you are happy with W8 then very good but please don't put the dissent down to not being able to manage a different or difficult interface, it is not that.
    No, I'm just stating my opinion of W8.

I'm that type of user. I use Mac OSX and Windows 7 (dual boot setup) and I've used several Windows versions going back to 3.1. I learned about computing on DOS. I need a usable desktop, not a dumbed down My First Computer interface. The W8 interface is far too simplified and IMO is aimed at users who just want to look at Facebook and cat videos all day and write the odd letter or email.

Hilarious, OSX is terrible with multiple monitors because the menu bar for every app stays stuck to the top of the main screen no matter what screen the window is one. OSX has no hieracrichally start menu either. I hardly ever launch apps not pinned to my dock because the apps folder is just a jumble of installed apps.

In both I personally use search to start apps and find docs, they both have very similar features in that respect.

And OSX goes to great lengths to find its internals from you. You can't find how the FS is really organised unless you start using terminal.

In fact thinking about it, Metro is kind of like LaunchPad in OSX which no uses because it's rubbish but no one says don't update to Lion (or whenever it was introduced because of it)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I don't think not adapting to change has anything to do with it. The interface is clunky and unintuitive unless you're using a touchscreen and even then it's not so great. Anyway what was wrong with the old Start menu? Nothing. I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    call100 wrote: »
    So your discussing individuals internet usage not W8? I would imagine that whatever someone looked at in W7 they also look at in W8. By that definition, there is no difference between the two OS's except for the start screen.
    I'll live with that.....:D

Pretty much :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Yes nice idea, will make navigation a lot easier for those pc users who use metro.

You have always been able to set the middle button of a 3 button mouse to 'Start'. (XP onwards or even earlier?)

Just like you an assign a standard keyboard that comes without that trademarked 'Start' symbol.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A horizontal mouse wheel would also help make Metro seem less counterintuitive.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A horizontal mouse wheel would also help make Metro seem less counterintuitive.
    Together with redesigned human finger joints to work it. At least one transparent pointed finger would be handy for tablets too.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    The worse thing about it is the way metro and desktop sit next to each other.

Its not intuative to begin with. Its like learing to use 2 OS on one machine.

I almost always boot to Dektop now but that has required separate software to do this which is just wrong.

MS have fuc** up Windows thats a cert and its showing in sales. Looks like they are doing the same with Tablets, phones and now the new XBOX. - Change for the sake of it that isnt that good or well thought out.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suggesting that people who have trouble adjusting to Win8 must have learning difficulties is totally ridiculous.
    It's been criticised throughout the professional media, by people who have spent their lives reviewing systems and software.
    The bottom line is that it should never have been pushed for use on non-touchscreen devices. It was never going to be natural or intuitive for use on anything but a touchscreen. It can be done, but it's just an awkward compromise.
    People adapt to change quite quickly when they can see obvious benefits as a result of making the effort.

I've put a clean install of windows 8 on a spare laptop and the real pity is that under the hood they do seem to have made some real improvements in performance. The kernel team have done a really good job so they must be gutted at the negative reaction Windows 8 is getting in the industry.

But the UI is just too awkward to use for the power user, especially if you multi task a lot over multi monitors. Change for change sake is not always a good thing. The metro thing should either be for touch screen devices or at least it should be optional for those who don't like it.

They need to lose Steve Ballmer and fast. The new Xbox one pre-launch was another disaster, with Sony shares rocketing after a dreadful reveal
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Hilarious, OSX is terrible with multiple monitors because the menu bar for every app stays stuck to the top of the main screen no matter what screen the window is one. OSX has no hieracrichally start menu either. I hardly ever launch apps not pinned to my dock because the apps folder is just a jumble of installed apps.

In both I personally use search to start apps and find docs, they both have very similar features in that respect.

And OSX goes to great lengths to find its internals from you. You can't find how the FS is really organised unless you start using terminal.

In fact thinking about it, Metro is kind of like LaunchPad in OSX which no uses because it's rubbish but no one says don't update to Lion (or whenever it was introduced because of it)

Yes I agree launch pad is a load of !"£$, but at least you just take it off the dock and never have to see it again.

This is should be the same for the metro interface make it optional
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    MS have fuc** up Windows thats a cert and its showing in sales. Looks like they are doing the same with Tablets, phones and now the new XBOX. - Change for the sake of it that isnt that good or well thought out.

Exactly. What was wrong with the old Start button and menu? Nothing. Change for the sake of it is completely pointless.
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Yes I agree launch pad is a load of !"£$, but at least you just take it off the dock and never have to see it again.

This is should be the same for the metro interface make it optional

I never use Launchpad, but the difference between OSX Launchpad and the W8 Duplo tiles is that the Duplo tiles are forced on the users and the OSX one isn't. At least with OSX you still have a usable desktop and multitasking.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now I will mention Hitler and we can wrap it up here.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never use Launchpad, but the difference between OSX Launchpad and the W8 Duplo tiles is that the Duplo tiles are forced on the users and the OSX one isn't. At least with OSX you still have a usable desktop and multitasking.

Yeah because those things aren't in Windows 8 are they? :o
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    What annoys me about Windows 8 isn't so much the Start Screen, it's the lack of options given to users.

Why is there no option to turn off the Start Screen or turn it into a Start Menu?

Why is there no option to boot up Windows 8 in desktop mode? Why is there no option to turn off the hot spots?

Why is there no desktop application store?

Why is there no classic theme?

It's not right that users have to rely on third-party software for some of these basic functions.

What is the point of giving users less control over their operating system? It's the "Microsoft knows best - like it or lump it" attitude that annoys me, not so much the various designs.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    What annoys me about Windows 8 isn't so much the Start Screen, it's the lack of options given to users.

Why is there no option to turn off the Start Screen or turn it into a Start Menu?

Why is there no option to boot up Windows 8 in desktop mode? Why is there no option to turn off the hot spots?

It's not right that users have to rely on third-party software for some of these basic functions.

What is the point of giving users less control over their operating system? It's the "Microsoft knows best - like it or lump it" attitude that annoys me, not so much the various designs.

What basic functions do you need third party utilities for?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could always install a 3rd party start menu application for the desktop
    Why is there no option to boot up Windows 8 in desktop mode?

This is being added in Windows 8.1, which will be a free update for existing Windows 8 users.

Does there need to be? The Windows Store has both Modern applications and Desktop applications.
    Again, I can't see why this is needed? I'm not sure that this theme is widely used by many users, removing it makes the OS lighter and less "heavy". If you are having trouble reading with the default theme or want something more basic, you could always apply an Ease-Of-Access theme.

If Microsoft blocked use of 3rd party applications to alter the UX, then I would understand your point. I think many people's issues stem from the fact that they are not used to the UI and/or don't want/can't be bothered to get to know it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

I can't really see it making much difference, just a gimmick. It is easy enough to get to the Metro screen with the windows key on keyboard. the problem is the mess once you get to the metro screen.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is there less control? Why should MS build in every possible variation and configuration directly into the OS?

They give you choice and freedom by letting you install 3rd-party software to customise it as you wish.