Dispatches: Britain on Benefits CH4 8pm

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I do absolutely appreciate why some may have found previous post offensive but...

Myself and many of the people I know in MH and ASD support groups etc are currently fighting for ANY income (ESA) to even feed themselves and pay the bills and this will get much worse after April.

Shouldn't the cuts to the benefits system come from those who can spare it rather than those who depend on it?

Some people are being left with nothing, sick, even dying, committing suicide whilst others are worried that they might lose EXTRA money towards a hobby (yes I know this is not true of every DLA claimant but it is for some - was there not once a lottery winner who continued to claim??! :mad: )

That is a horrible injustice IMO. :mad:

Welfare for those who NEED it, not to make life more enjoyable!!
    I get DLA which is used for me to get a car on Motability which helps me get to my work. Without it, I would be unable to get to work as using public transport is difficult for me. DLA is a nessitary for me, not a luxury.

I can see where you are coming from, but not everyone one DLA uses it for luxuries.
  • KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On FB the other night people were defending their right to what I consider to be privileges, hobbies, sports, holidays etc. Right now I don;t think anyone, disabled or not should have benefits for this, not whilst others have nothing.
    I do not consider having a life worth living, a life one enjoys, where you can take part in society or do things that give you pleasure, share in society's bounty. As a privilege the disabled members of society receiving benefits should not have. I view it as their right as members of our affluent society. For society to deprive people of that I think would be an act of callous cruelty not necessity. We are not that poor a society that we can not afford to share.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I appreciate you sensible response at this hour, I've lost count how many times I've written this out.

I don't begrudge those in need and benefits they need.

No issue at all with people claiming DLA for mobility and help with daily care, that's a real need of course.
    On FB the other night people were defending their right to what I consider to be privileges, hobbies, sports, holidays etc. Right now I don;t think anyone, disabled or not should have benefits for this, not whilst others have nothing.

Don't think we are ever going to agree on this and I don't want others to believe there may be divide within those claiming some form of disability benefits. :)

The country may not 'all be in this together' but Id like to think some of us are ;)

On the DLA forms it asks you what help is needed to do things like hobbies, and socail outing, and do you need help to go to church and i dont count any of these things as privileges
  • walkabouterwalkabouter Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little bit put out that it was only half an hour long and only addressed physical disabilities :(.

They also missed out self-inflicted conditions such as obesity, alcoholism, and drug addiction.

The programme was 25 minutes too long and might easily have fitted into the 5 minute, 4thought.tv slot at 7.55pm
    The producers could have removed the unnecessary scenes of disabled bungee jumping, basketball and horse riding while omitting the supposed “comedian.”
    The infantile cartoons, included to appeal to the undemanding minds of the pro-welfare lobby, were also superfluous.
    A poor effort from C4 and Black Triangle.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also missed out self-inflicted conditions such as obesity, alcoholism, and drug addiction.
    Obesity may not be self inflicted but as a result of other illnesses
    Forum Member

The programme was 25 minutes too long and might easily have fitted into the 5 minute, 4thought.tv slot at 7.55pm
    The producers could have removed the unnecessary scenes of disabled bungee jumping, basketball and horse riding while omitting the supposed “comedian.”
    The infantile cartoons, included to appeal to the undemanding minds of the pro-welfare lobby, were also superfluous.

Why not show the disabled doing these things, DLA is there to help people to have independence a try to live a normal life as possiable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I take it you liked it then.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little bit put out that it was only half an hour long and only addressed physical disabilities :(.

Yep, I noticed that as well. People can be very prejudiced towards others with mental disabilities. It's like it doesn't exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yep, I noticed that as well. People can be very prejudiced towards others with mental disabilities. It's like it doesn't exist.

They see two arms, two leg and assume you're well. Mental conditions and people with other 'invisible' conditions are ignored when they can possibly have a harder time than amputees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No windy it was not a timely documentary as there was nothing new in it about horsemeat it was just a rehash of what had been on various news reports.

As to your woeful claim that I am coming over rather dismissive and ignorant about the problems disabled folk face under this government that is just laughable as I never addressed that. I addressed a particular point you raised and as you didn't like the answer you now seem to want to move the goal posts.....................

Sorry for delayed reply, was away for a bit. My comment was made because you seemed to avoid any comment on the issue itself but tried to make out the tv schedule somehow validated, or otherwise, the programme subject. There was a valid reason for the delay, whether you agree with it or not and it was aired soon afterwards. Why make a comment about the timing rather than the subject though? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Clueless as ever CS...
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNIGTHOUT wrote: »
    I do not consider having a life worth living, a life one enjoys, where you can take part in society or do things that give you pleasure, share in society's bounty. As a privilege the disabled members of society receiving benefits should not have. I view it as their right as members of our affluent society. For society to deprive people of that I think would be an act of callous cruelty not necessity. We are not that poor a society that we can not afford to share.

Tell that to the thousands working and paying for all this who haven't a hope in hell of being able to afford those hobbies/pastimes for themselves.
    Forum Member
    Tell that to the thousands working and paying for all this who haven't a hope in hell of being able to afford those hobbies/pastimes for themselves.

DLA is there to allow people lead a independent life as much as possable, which can be a simple thing like going to there church, or anything else that allows someone to do the thing other people without disablitys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Clueless as ever

You certainly are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You certainly are.
    Pot kettle black.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

Are you Jealous? Do you wish you were disabled?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    posted in wrong thread
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Sorry, I just don't believe you and bear in mind, because you can't see anything wrong, that does not mean there is nothing wrong.

dont believe me ? ok suit yourself. i'll try not to let it destroy me.
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member

I'm sorry but grow up.

Do you think if all... every single benefit, was stopped tomorrow that these "thousands" you speak of would get more tax back?

These thousands also pay for wine and other alcohol to be bought for House of Commons... not to mention all the other wasted money that politicians throw away. In such times of austerity, how come we can afford to give millions of pounds every day, every day, to the EU. If times were so hard should we scrap this gravy train? ;)

If you can't honestly support and empathise with those that struggle as it is, then I feel very sorry for you.

Of course, the media has done a great job of setting us all against each other. The old chestnut of "I pay my taxes, it's MY money so I am allowed to have strong opinion" is great. It makes us feel terribly important. But whilst we voice our apparently relevant opinions, the MPs are holding their bellies laughing at us whilst continuing to fill out another expenses form for their second home.

Yes, continue to squabble amongst yourselves. It's just what they want. Divide and conquer, oldest trick in the book.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John_Elway wrote: »
    I'm sorry but grow up.

Do you think if all... every single benefit, was stopped tomorrow that these "thousands" you speak of would get more tax back?

These thousands also pay for wine and other alcohol to be bought for House of Commons... not to mention all the other wasted money that politicians throw away. In such times of austerity, how come we can afford to give millions of pounds every day, every day, to the EU. If times were so hard should we scrap this gravy train? ;)

If you can't honestly support and empathise with those that struggle as it is, then I feel very sorry for you.

Of course, the media has done a great job of setting us all against each other. The old chestnut of "I pay my taxes, it's MY money so I am allowed to have strong opinion" is great. It makes us feel terribly important. But whilst we voice our apparently relevant opinions, the MPs are holding their bellies laughing at us whilst continuing to fill out another expenses form for their second home.

Yes, continue to squabble amongst yourselves. It's just what they want. Divide and conquer, oldest trick in the book.

It is but some people just cannot see that fact,i would give up if i were you "there are none so blind as those that cannot see"!:D
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    Well I am afraid that the remarks of Speak-Softly show just how vile some of these Tories are, that is why we need Labour back in power in 2015 with the smile wiped off all of those faces with opinions such as that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I had a medical 5 months ago for my DLA by an ATOS doctor who pronounced me totally fit and able despite being unable to communicate with me due his grasp of English being very poor and myself having a severe hearing disability.
    The decision was overturned by the DWP on appeal.
    Now I have had another letter for another medical by ATOS, it is wrong that a private organisation can hound people in such a way as ATOS is paid for these medicals and then paid a bonus for anybody who is taken off benefits.
    Forum Member
    Svetzem wrote: »
    I had a medical 5 months ago for my DLA by an ATOS doctor who pronounced me totally fit and able despite being unable to communicate with me due his grasp of English being very poor and myself having a severe hearing disability.
    The decision was overturned by the DWP on appeal.
    Now I have had another letter for another medical by ATOS, it is wrong that a private organisation can hound people in such a way as ATOS is paid for these medicals and then paid a bonus for anybody who is taken off benefits.

This letter for the medical is it DLA or ESA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Svetzem wrote: »
    ATOS is paid for these medicals and then paid a bonus for anybody who is taken off benefits.

An urban myth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An urban myth.

The fact that the government announced the amount of disabled people they were going to take off benefit before the first test was ever done is not.