True Detective, just started watching it

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Forgive new TD thread but I'm avoiding the existing one incase of spoilers.
I just watched the first episode last night and I found it very slow and dare I say boring. I am hoping/guessing that it picks up a little given the acclaim, but did any hardcore fans of the show find the pilot boring?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it very boring and the chemistry between two talented actors incredibly poor, and it continued that way in the 4 episodes i watched afterwards. In the end i gave up.

I'll give next season a go, especially as it's a new story and a new cast. Personally have failed to recognise the acclaim and love the series has got, and normally i can even when it's shows i don't like.
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Forgive new TD thread but I'm avoiding the existing one incase of spoilers.
    I just watched the first episode last night and I found it very slow and dare I say boring. I am hoping/guessing that it picks up a little given the acclaim, but did any hardcore fans of the show find the pilot boring?

It does pick up speed a little as the 1st one is just scene setting and introductions to the main characters.
    If you like scandi drama you will probably like this, if not then you may struggle.

I personally loved it and would recommend it to others whilst appeciating that it may not suit all.

Hope you stick with it but I wouldn't be a martyr just because others love it.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tricky one! I was hooked from the start but can see how some might think it dragged a bit. I think I'd advise one more episode to get a better feel for the characters and world, but the pace mostly stays the same throughout the whole thing (barring one or two breathtaking sequences). I think if you don't want to continue after ep 2 it probably just isn't for you.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite new show of the year. I didn't find the plot boring, it kept my attention throughout as it slowly unfolded.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it slow, but also gripping and really entertaining. I did find the last half hour of the last episode a bit meh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Tricky one! I was hooked from the start but can see how some might think it dragged a bit. I think I'd advise one more episode to get a better feel for the characters and world, but the pace mostly stays the same throughout the whole thing (barring one or two breathtaking sequences). I think if you don't want to continue after ep 2 it probably just isn't for you.

Yeah, this is sound advice.

And thanks to you other people too. I'll give episode 2 and maybe 3 a watch but I think if a show doesn't grab you within three episodes, it wont be for you.

Cheers everyone.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted - sorry, wrong thread!
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Loving it so far. Don't get the thing about it being slow, surely that's the whole idea? As for Matthew McConaughey's performance, if he doesn't win all the awards going then someone needs shooting!
  • pholly22pholly22 Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Am hooked on this show and look forward to watching it each week. Yes it's a slower paced drama, but it's so refreshing that they're not trying to stuff a million storylines in one episode. I think WH and MM are able to really play against each other superbly and also agree top awards certainly need to be sent MM's way! He is so captivating in his performances. This is the first show that I refuse to look up any spoilers for. I am enjoying the weekly revelations. Hope you stick with it, personally I think it's REALLY worth it :)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I did not find the pilot boring at all. It's more character driven than plot driven. I enjoyed it more for the dialogue and atmosphere moreso than anything else. The acting is excellent in my opinion. If you feel that the pilot is boring my advice would be to stop watching as it's not your cup of tea.
  • MetamorphosisMetamorphosis Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I definitely liked the first few episodes but I do think it dragged and was boring in some places. It probably didn't help that I didn't care for the two main characters (especially Marty >:() so it being character driven lost my interest even more. And I was disappointed in the finale, it felt like it was building up to something good and what I saw I felt just fell flat.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggled with the first three episodes and thought from looking at the trailer for the fourth that the pace would quicken up. NO. What really is bothering me is that the sound quality seems really poor, I have to have my tv on very high to be able to hear and more importantly understand through the thick accent. Overall this is very disappointing, I was expecting so much more.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Episode 4 is clearly the best out of the lot namely for the whole Biker Gang stuff and THAT Long Tracking Shot.
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the same at first and nearly grve up after the first 2. After a break I started again and got in sync with the 2 time frames and got hooked. Although mainly due to the relationship and acting of the leads. It's sometimes hard to follow - accents and dialogue are strange to the ear I think. It picks up in eps 3,4 and 5. Stick with it.
  • RenThrayskRenThraysk Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Episode 4 is clearly the best out of the lot namely for the whole Biker Gang stuff and THAT Long Tracking Shot.

Yeah, that 6 minute long shot was awesome.

Put you right in the middle of the action, even down to the ears ringing audio after the first shot in the house.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed it from the start, not found it slow at all, to me it's the perfect pace for the show it is. I haven't had no problem with the accents either, this show hooked me from the start, it's probably how I like my crime dramas though. Things like Hannibal for example I gave up on as I found that dull.
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am enjoying this atmospheric show, although last night's episode was not as interesting as the previous episodes...worth keeping with...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it very boring and the chemistry between two talented actors incredibly poor, and it continued that way in the 4 episodes i watched afterwards. In the end i gave up.

Wow, were you even watching the same show as us? No chemistry between them?! Their extremely fractured relationship is one of the main draws of the show! Loved it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    I struggled with the first three episodes and thought from looking at the trailer for the fourth that the pace would quicken up. NO. What really is bothering me is that the sound quality seems really poor, I have to have my tv on very high to be able to hear and more importantly understand through the thick accent. Overall this is very disappointing, I was expecting so much more.

The problem here, then, is your expectations, which perhaps were pumped up beyond reasonable levels by others who encouraged you to watch the show. I came to it knowing absolutely nothing and was blown away week after week by how unexpectedly new and fresh it all felt compared to what we're used to having rammed down our optic nerves by the TV industry's whodunnit department.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this is a forum after all. I personally found it to be on a level not many TV shows are able to reach, and Matthew McConaughey's performance to be on a whole different level to anything there has been on TV before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this is a forum after all. I personally found it to be on a level not many TV shows are able to reach, and Matthew McConaughey's performance to be on a whole different level to anything there has been on TV before.

I'm sorry but you cannot watch many tv shows to say True Detective was on a level many can't get to.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pholly22 wrote: »
    Am hooked on this show and look forward to watching it each week. Yes it's a slower paced drama, but it's so refreshing that they're not trying to stuff a million storylines in one episode. I think WH and MM are able to really play against each other superbly and also agree top awards certainly need to be sent MM's way! He is so captivating in his performances. This is the first show that I refuse to look up any spoilers for. I am enjoying the weekly revelations. Hope you stick with it, personally I think it's REALLY worth it :)

The show has no excuse to be a slow pace though. It has 8 episodes to get through. I expect shows with 22 episodes to be slow in developing, not a show with 8 episodes that will be changing the format next season
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Wow, were you even watching the same show as us? No chemistry between them?! Their extremely fractured relationship is one of the main draws of the show! Loved it.

Of course i was. I didn't like it. End of. Don't question me not liking something, just because you do, and your opinion is the be-all and end-all.
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you cannot watch many tv shows to say True Detective was on a level many can't get to.

I agree with your comment 100 per cent.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, my favourite series of all time is breaking bad, the neo-noir vibe of TD was a refreshing change to BB tho.
  • Raj_91Raj_91 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love True Detective, I've still got to finish this season off but I haven't been this into a show since Dexter. Episode 4 was intense :o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've downloaded the first four episodes of this to give it a go as someone said to me if you love Hannibal you will enjoy this. Saw the first episode, it was a little a slow paced but somewhat intriguing.

I will need some TV shows to fill in the hiatus break from The Blacklist and Hannibal.