Doctor Who Series 3 Episode 8 - 'Human Nature' 26/05/07 19:10

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not him, but the kid with the watch reminded me of Turlough.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautifully written and acted.

Loved the is Gallifrey in Ireland gag. I never thought that I'd see that one again. I also loved the Sydney and Verity line.

Currently in the town where I live there is a scarecrow trail going on and some of them before seeing this episode were creeping me out and that's without seeing the Dalek one. I think that there might be some traumatised children over the weekend.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    No, its not that. Its just good to see some justification, as most people who liked it have already, those who didnt don't quite seem to have surfaced yet.

Nobody needs to justify their opinion.
    It's not a trial.

Somebody even referred to the people who voted 'poor' or 'very poor' as trolls.
    But a vote on a poll is anonymous, and they can hardly be described as trolls if people are telling them to stand forward and justify themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Ah sorry, i remember you did post that a few pages back, but i think the criticism is more for those who have voted very poor.

You can't criticise people just because they voted 'very poor' on the poll.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Alrightmate. Most people who vote on the Doctor Who polls don't post about why they voted the way that they did. It's a vote and no one should have to justify their own opinion about it. It's just their opinion, whether you agree with them or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried posting this earlier but my net connection went down for a while. Just checked out the scene of the McGann sketch on my recording. There are two rows of Doctors on the page with possibly a third row above just out of shot.
    It's, left to right,Mcoy,Mcgann and Hartnell on the middle row, with Tom Baker left and Peter Davidson right on the row below.

No it's Colin Baker.
    Somebody on 'Outpost Gallifrey' has posted the sketches from the book that match up perfectly with the features of the faces of old Doctor Who publicity photos which have been mirror reversed.

Strangely, it's the features of the Hartnell image which don't match up. The pose in the sketch does match up with the Hartnell pose from the publicity photo, but the facial features are well out, and it's as though it's another actor completely.
    Somebody might be mistaken in thinking that they may have an actor lined up to play Hartnell in some future episode in a future series. Because that's not Hartnell's face. He didn't have really fat cheeks like that.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the first time in Seriers 3, I voted excellent.

I didn't think that I would like it, but it was a great storyline, and very, very different. Some good links to previous episodes as well.

Freema was great, DT was excellent as the schoolmaster (touches of the brilliance that stood out in his performance in the drama Recovery earlier this year).
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I voted excellent, and I loved the cliffhanger at the end.

I dont know how others feel, but if other books are of this standard, could we not have them made into 2 parters as well.

I can remember in the final season of ST-Enterprise, they made nearly a whole season of 2 parters. Ok overall the series wasnt that good, but the final season showed what they could do. Perhaps the powers that be, should give us more 2 parter stories.

When the episode was about halfway through, I did think what a great story it would have been for us as the first epiosde of the New Who - in a way explaining his disappearance from our screens for so long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Finally series three collects a second 'very good' vote from me...and can't wait to see how it all pans out next week. :)
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Excellent for me. I think we may have just seen this season's GITF. About time and all!

Anyone want to guess what that sketchbook will fetch at next years CIN?

K
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    Strangely, it's the features of the Hartnell image which don't match up. The pose in the sketch does match up with the Hartnell pose from the publicity photo, but the facial features are well out, and it's as though it's another actor completely. Somebody might be mistaken in thinking that they may have an actor lined up to play Hartnell in some future episode in a future series. Because that's not Hartnell's face. He didn't have really fat cheeks like that.

I'll have to look again - maybe whoever did the sketch mistakenly used a picture of Richard Hurndall, the actor who played the first Doctor in The Five Doctors (1983)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'll have to look again - maybe whoever did the sketch mistakenly used a picture of Richard Hurndall, the actor who played the first Doctor in The Five Doctors (1983)?

perhaps. i hardly think it matters, so long as it was a likeness. lets face it, the cybermen and dalek looked nothing like themselves, it was only a rough sketch
  • adamcmadamcm Posts: 4,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did anyone else find the "family" student to be quite hot even though he was creepy as hell :p
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me when the book on which the episodes are based on was written?

Just that all this sounds very familiar (a sort of mix between Total Recall, TNG's Inner Light and Frame of Mind).
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Finally an episode that restores my faith a little! This is the first episode in this series that left me wanting more.

Top notch TV :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when the book on which the episodes are based on was written?

Just that all this sounds very familiar (a sort of mix between Total Recall, TNG's Inner Light and Frame of Mind).

It was based on the book by Paul Cornell "Human Nature"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »

1995!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    a great episode finally.......its been a bit boring recently watchin the doc running away from everything through corridor after corridor.Just once in a while id like to see him give one of these monsters a punch on the nose rather than just run away.
    Still David Tenant did a great Hugh Grant impression when the woman was first trying to chat him up.
  • Chris DaviesChris Davies Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I did enjoy it - the slower pace definitely helped - but I didn't think the script was anything to write home about. Apart from the odd reference to the show's history, I can't think of one memorable line. The plot has one great idea - the Doctor becomes human to hide out - but apart from that it all seemed pretty run of the mill. As I say, it was enjoyable, but no better in terms of quality than the rest of the season, in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode - the one that really stands out from this series so far (like The Girl in Frireplace last series and The Empty Child/Doctor Dances the series before.

Not sure what it was that did it for me, but I bloody loved it. Did know it was atwo parter and didn't realise how qucik the time had gone :(

I was really sad wehn it was over - I wanted to see more - but stopped myslef from seeing the trailer at the end.

Brilliant story idea (if the science a little odd ;)), really well acted too, espeically from Martha/Freema :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so, anyone wish to speculate how the doctor gets out of the cliffhanger? it has to be something the boy does doesnt it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soob wrote: »
    so, anyone wish to speculate how the doctor gets out of the cliffhanger? it has to be something the boy does doesnt it?

I'm hoping it's something to do with Latimer anyway. While Smith has shown a few Doctor like traits , it would be a little too simplistic for him to simply switch them on when required. Of course Martha may come up with something 'Doctor like' she has been travelling long enough with him to know how things work ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    First time I`ve voted "excellent" this Series. Absolutely gripping stuff. The actor who played Baines was outstanding IMHO.

My only gripe was - why leave the pocket watch lying around so that anyone could nick it?!

Roll on next week!:D
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I think. I think the boy opens up the watch or something and the Doctor remembers something which helps him escape.

I think this is quite a scary episode in the terms of there is no Doctor to save the day (so far anyway), we are all relying on Martha to save the day, who hasn't had much experience. It's a brilliant idea I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    That's what I think. I think the boy opens up the watch or something and the Doctor remembers something which helps him escape.

I think this is quite a scary episode in the terms of there is no Doctor to save the day (so far anyway), we are all relying on Martha to save the day, who hasn't had much experience. It's a brilliant idea I think.

Yeah that thing about there being no doctor to save the day (only a trainee doctor ;) ) could be one of the things which amde the episode so compelling :D