Iain Lee quits radio show after calling guest a bigot

TrumblesTrumbles Posts: 7,781
Forum Member
(Not sure this is worth its own thread, but as the forum is not exactly frenzied at the moment...)
Iain Lee quits radio show after calling antigay Christian guest a bigot

My first thought was that it seems incredible if this is the most controversial thing he's said on the show.

Comments

• honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I can see why he got cross with her. :)
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    The Christian Concern website launched a campaign after the interview for all fellow christians to complain to the BBC about Iain. And instead of telling them to go away, the BBC hierachy decide to tell Iain he has to apologise.

The BBC really are pathetic.

I'm going to miss Iain on three counties big time. His weekly podcasts are genius. And the team around him were all integral to it's success as well.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have huge respect for the guy.
    He launched a world of Warcraft Game Live across the world and out of all the presenters he was the only one that actually was watchable and professional.

its incredibly sad instead of the BBC standing by him they felt the need to apologize for him also. With luck another company will see a chance to get a good presenter
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never liked him on BBOTS but outside of that, he is actually an alright guy. This isn't the first time he has challenge gay rights. He did an experiment at the start of the year with one of his male co-presenter where they walked around a town centre holding hands to see what the reaction was. It's on you tube somewhere or on his website. Very good.

I admire him immensely for doing this.

I am appalled at the BBC though. There would of been a totally different action on BBC's part if Iain Lee had been standing up to any other types of prejudice, like racism.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Why did/should Iain apologise? All he did was speak the truth, so I applaud him for speaking out against what the Christian said.
    Making hurtful comments like she did doesnt seem very Christian.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    This seems very odd behavior from the BBC, especially as they have been accused of having a so called ''gay agenda'' in the past.
    Either way it should be zero tolerance towards religious people and any of their backward views.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he'll have more time to return to BOTS then.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Maybe he'll have more time to return to BOTS then.

Apparently they won't allow him back.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if he had been more patient in countering their views.....?
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fly him out to Australia to do the IAC spinoff show .. :)
  • TrumblesTrumbles Posts: 7,781
    Forum Member
    The Christian Concern website launched a campaign after the interview for all fellow christians to complain to the BBC about Iain. And instead of telling them to go away, the BBC hierachy decide to tell Iain he has to apologise.

The BBC really are pathetic.

I'm going to miss Iain on three counties big time. His weekly podcasts are genius. And the team around him were all integral to it's success as well.
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why did/should Iain apologise? All he did was speak the truth, so I applaud him for speaking out against what the Christian said.
    Making hurtful comments like she did doesnt seem very Christian.
    "...and Jesus spake unto them:

"Judge quickly lest ye be judged by others getting in first."

"If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn ...on your computer and initiate a vindictive campaign of orchestrated emails."

As a general rule of thumb I find that organisations with 'Christian' in the title tend to feature a lot of awful people (unlike those who simply attend church and mind their own business.). There are exceptions - Christian Aid is likely to be better for example - but something like 'Christian Concern' just reeks of small-mindedness and self-importance.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have rated him for years. 11 o'clock show and rise showed of his potential.

I'd like to see him given a slot on top gear alongside chris evans and richard bacon.
  • BowdonBowdon Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Iain Lee. But on this interview he came across as being aggressive. Lee as always come across as a 2nd rate Tommy Boyd, except with Boyd was more intelligent at putting his points across. Iain in this interview just came across as bullying.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'd take aggressive words over homophobic bile any day of the week.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Here's the thread I started in the Radio forum. :)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2116738
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Bowdon wrote: »
    I like Iain Lee. But on this interview he came across as being aggressive. Lee as always come across as a 2nd rate Tommy Boyd, except with Boyd was more intelligent at putting his points across. Iain in this interview just came across as bullying.
    For me Boyd was the best radio presenter of all time, Iain comes 2nd! :D

Iain said that he quit BBOTS. At the time he had 7 radio shows a week now he has none. I hope (but doubt) that they ask him back!
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bowdon wrote: »

I really didn't like the way he was with BB14's Callum when they both appeared together on BOTS. He was out of line.
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    I really didn't like the way he was with BB14's Callum when they both appeared together on BOTS. He was out of line.

Ian was often rude to the contestants he didn't like...There again Jamie Eastman was the same in that respect.

I'm beginning to think Rylan might be the most professional BOTS presenter, but that's not saying much, is it?