Pirate Oldies

philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
Forum Member
Listening to this online www.pirateoldies.co.uk (its on DAB via the Cornwall and Plymouth multiplexes)

Great station, some forgotten gems being played. Some tracks from The Seekers not heard on radio before, and they have also played a few tracks from The Sound Of Music.

Great station and great music

We need more like it

Comments

• BollardBollard Posts: 3,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was sounding good when I picked up the Plymouth MUX here the other day. Hoping that Wessex FM will do the same spin off in this area.
  • radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pirate gold would have been a better name .im sure their overnights in the late 90s had that name
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats two Gold stations you have down there now. And we have zip! I may have to move.:(
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think other UKRD stations should consider an oldies station. Eagle for a start & in Yorkshire they have three UKRD stations on DAB more or less playing the same stuff.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    UKRD seems to be doing well....
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    I think other UKRD stations should consider an oldies station. Eagle for a start
    There was County Sound which became Eagle extra then closed.
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    There was County Sound which became Eagle extra then closed.

Gold covers the Guildford area on AM and DAB and doubt the ad revenue covered the cost?.

Didn't they give the frequency on AM to Premier Christian Radio? - bit of a waste really... think the signal from Premier's frequencies in London did spill out

An oldies station down in the County Sound area would give Gold a run for its money

Keep in mind Gold is in Plymouth and parts of Cornwall on AM & DAB -
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eagle extra was never on DAB where the transmission cost will be lower than AM but for some reason Eagle extra never went DAB?.
    Don't think Gold is on AM Cornwall.
    Gold also covers the Guildford area on AM and DAB and doubt the ad revenue for Eagle extra covered the AM transmission cost?.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    UKRD seems to be doing well....
    I wonder when they will be sold to Global or Bauer?
    Forum Member
    Eagle extra was never on DAB where the transmission cost will be lower than AM but for some reason Eagle extra never went DAB?.
    Don't think Gold is on AM Cornwall.
    Gold also covers the Guildford area on AM and DAB and doubt the ad revenue for Eagle extra covered the AM transmission cost?.

It is on AM in Plymouth & DAB - over spill in to Cornwall

Not sure why the ditched County Sound in the first place - was a great station
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Les Wires wrote: »
    I wonder when they will be sold to Global or Bauer?

How would Global be able to own Pirate as they already own what was Atlantic (now Heart) so would have a monopoly in Cornwall, Bauer is an option or Breeze could expand into Cornwall.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    How would Global be able to own Pirate as they already own what was Atlantic (now Heart) so would have a monopoly in Cornwall, Bauer is an option or Breeze could expand into Cornwall.
    Quite easy. Global would simply franchise any stations affected by the current ownership rules.
    Forum Member
    Les Wires wrote: »
    Quite easy. Global would simply franchise any stations affected by the current ownership rules.

Yes - Communicorp would run it, and turn it Capital...

But lets hope not - UKRD must be in strong enough possition or they wouldn't have launched Pirate 2, Pirate Oldies and Escape to Cormwall on DAB

If anything, wouldn't mind betting if UTV were to sell, UKRD would pick some stations up (or Celador maybe)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is on AM in Plymouth & DAB - over spill in to Cornwall

Not sure why the ditched County Sound in the first place - was a great station
    Gold in Cornwall has taken over XFMs local DAB slots, so might be only till the DAB contracts last?

The Plymouth AM transmitter is now easy listening Smooth untill Global shuts down the transmitter as listeners move to DAB and online?
    http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/how-to-listen/am-frequency/#0o8If1TLWPMMmDAE.97

County Sound AM at one stage had about 30k listeners and sometimes dropped to 1k so probable did not get enough ad revenue to justify the AM transmission, and Premier offered to buy it.

UKRD seem to have some profitable stations so could fend off any potential takeover, but as with the TLC takeover is prepared to close stations if they are not profitable, will be interesting to see if Pirate oldies gts enough ad revenue (and ad agencies do not pay rates for ads targetting over 50s) to survive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold in Cornwall has taken over XFMs local DAB slots, so might be only till the DAB contracts last?

County Sound AM at one stage had about 30k listeners and sometimes dropped to 1k so probable did not get enough ad revenue to justify the AM transmission, and Premier offered to buy it.

Fair play to them selling to Premier but the fact it did not go on DAB killed it off. Who really wants to listen to AM when in Surrey there are stations on fm & now DAB.

The multiplex itself covers most of South London & has other broadcasters interested.

They do have an oldies hour on 96.4, not sure how well it does but that is how Pirate Oldies started.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Gold was never on DAB in Cornwall until the XFM changes. It was on the Plymouth MUX until Smooth barged in... Humph!

Nice to have Gold back and it's great that new areas have it too. Long may it continue.

A little ironic that Pirate Oldies started about the same time as Golds return :D

I wonder why Pirate Oldies launched on the Plymouth side?
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Pirate Oldies launched on the Plymouth side?
    Being on Plymouth adds 100,000+ more potential listeners which will be attractive to advertisers.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    If that's the case, why just the oldies station?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the case, why just the oldies station?

Gold was removed last year so Pirate decided to launch an oldies station as a replacement only for Global to put Gold back on when Oldies launch otherwise I doubt it would of happened. Also I think it is just ja ukebox meaning not a masive amont spend on it.
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't have any oldies stations down here, despite having had 11 stations start up on the local DAB trial. Potential audience of around 250,000. I find it very frustrating.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellyman wrote: »
    We don't have any oldies stations down here, despite having had 11 stations start up on the local DAB trial. Potential audience of around 250,000. I find it very frustrating.:cry:
    There is Angel which could be the ultimate oldies station
    http://angelradio.co.uk/about-us/4574246814
    Make the station unique by playing in records made before 1960
    But think you mean a 80s, 70's and 60's station?
    Forum Member
    Gold was removed last year so Pirate decided to launch an oldies station as a replacement only for Global to put Gold back on when Oldies launch otherwise I doubt it would of happened. Also I think it is just ja ukebox meaning not a masive amont spend on it.

Then again Gold is almost just a jukebox station too - all be it with added news and breakfast
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then again Gold is almost just a jukebox station too - all be it with added news and breakfast

Sadly I think its going this way. Be interesting if Nation Gold in Wales copies this idea. I was in the northeast last week & listened to Metro 2 radio. It has its faults but still has presenters if not entirely local.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I think its going this way. Be interesting if Nation Gold in Wales copies this idea. I was in the northeast last week & listened to Metro 2 radio. It has its faults but still has presenters if not entirely local.
    Metro 2 and the Bauer greatest hits network are greatest hits of all time http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/brands/metro-radio#metro-2-radio mostly 70/80s with a bit of 60s and some current songs so not an oldies format? Having current hits help bring in more younger listeners and therefore ad revenue to pay for presenters.
    In the Solent area Bauer could have added Wave 2 on DAB (and 3) but maybe decided against it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metro 2 and the Bauer greatest hits network are greatest hits of all time http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/brands/metro-radio#metro-2-radio mostly 70/80s with a bit of 60s and some current songs so not an oldies format?

The lack of 60s music was IMO its downfall & there was a bit of useless talking like one evening about a washing machine or Dishwasher which seem to go on for a few minutes followed by an ads. Gold would of put two tracks in.

Anyway it be interesting what the likes of UKRD, Lincs FM group & Town & Country do in 2016.