Options

James Arthur's Fall Begins....

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're probably using this as a way to generate sympathy for him. I can invision him now lumbering onto the stage with that pathetic hurt puppy look, to cheers of encouragement from the audience. Ugh.

Do you think? I think its building to him no showing X Factor due to 'illness'

Louis says nothing without approval, his attitude to arthur in the radio 1 interview makes being on the same show in 8 days a very awkward indeed, that isnt an accident.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he is genuinely ill than I hope he takes this time to recover physically as well as mentally. I imagine that he may well have been mentally affected by the turning tide against him this week. Even though he is very much the engineer of his own fate, I doubt he envisioned the press and his former friends XF turning against him in this way.

Part of me, however, is quite suspicious. I thought some time ago that all of this might be leading to a high-profile stint in rehab and public 'rehabilitation' arc in terms of James's career trajectory. Maybe rehab would be an expensive option at this point in time, but a doctor's note is a free and much less extreme way to get publicity.

We'll see how it pans out.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Louis says nothing without approval, his attitude to arthur in the radio 1 interview makes being on the same show in 8 days a very awkward indeed, that isnt an accident.

I think you're probably on to something there.
  • Options
    kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Oh, he's got a sick note. Just in time to have 'recovered' in time for his X Factor appearance next week :rolleyes:

Next it will be the dog ate his homework.

"James Arthur cannot perform due to repeated ****wittery"
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crabbie123 wrote: »
    Is this the music industry equivalent of politicians needing to spend more time with their families?

In short, yes. The phrase "tired and emotional" also comes to mind.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On the contrary, I think Louis is often a loose canon. He just gets away with it because no-one takes him particularly seriously.
  • Options
    Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    no that's not the insinuation. What i was getting at was the motives for posting a lot of this opprobrium. Would i be wrong if i suggested your own has more to do with him insulting the boy Cardle than the nature of the insult? and that's the reason for your pleasure in his downfall. If i'm wrong then i'm wrong:)

that's what i meant by the dishonesty bit

with the hypocrisy bit i was referring to the way people pile in against someone and diligently search the interweb for articles to back-up the point, yet complain when the same diligence is shown against an artist they like.

hope that explains it better.

Finally, on the homophobic point. If he says he isn't homophobic nobody believes him, but if he uses homophobic language in the context of some spat with some rapper (who uses the same language) for which he apologises then he's to be forever condemned as a homophobe. My isssue with this sort of thing is that those outraged aren't as outraged as they'd have us believe, and far from being the moral guardians of the country are creating a culture equally damaging and narrow-minded in its way. It's not long ago when there were calls for the word '****' to be censored from Fairytale of New York', and while i accept this is to stretch a point from this thread it's part of the same mindset that can't see or chooses not to see context.

and i'll leave it there.

It would be true to say that if he had insulted someone other than Matt, I probably would have been far less likely to notice. I knew nothing of his spats with Frankie Boyle last December, because I had no interest in JA at all, he was just another competitor on a show I was only watching half-heartedly. Of course once he started slagging off Matt, I did take notice - but I was immediately offended by the "get bummed some more" comment, because I loathe homophobia, I found the comment weird, because as far as I am aware, Matt is not gay. But the mere fact that JA resorted to homophobic language to score points, bothered me far more than childish "bargain bins at Asda" comments. If that was the end of the story, I would have moved on - but JA has continued the digs and slurs at Matt and started to include his manager, who is gay, and he clearly used homosexuality as a weapon against them, indicating that his natural gut reaction is that homosexuality is a weakness that can be picked on (and he encouraged his impressionable teenage fans to join in - thereby becoming the very opposite of a role model). Having seen two close friends being bullied on a daily basis at school, with taunts of "queer" and "b*mmer" I just absolutely despise anything like that and if this whole experience does nothing more than make JA and maybe a few others think about how what they say affects other, then maybe threads like this will have been worth it.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crabbie123 wrote: »
    It would be true to say that if he had insulted someone other than Matt, I probably would have been far less likely to notice. I knew nothing of his spats with Frankie Boyle last December, because I had no interest in JA at all, he was just another competitor on a show I was only watching half-heartedly. Of course once he started slagging off Matt, I did take notice - but I was immediately offended by the "get bummed some more" comment, because I loathe homophobia, I found the comment weird, because as far as I am aware, Matt is not gay. But the mere fact that JA resorted to homophobic language to score points, bothered me far more than childish "bargain bins at Asda" comments. If that was the end of the story, I would have moved on - but JA has continued the digs and slurs at Matt and started to include his manager, who is gay, and he clearly used homosexuality as a weapon against them, indicating that his natural gut reaction is that homosexuality is a weakness that can be picked on (and he encouraged his impressionable teenage fans to join in - thereby becoming the very opposite of a role model). Having seen two close friends being bullied on a daily basis at school, with taunts of "queer" and "b*mmer" I just absolutely despise anything like that and if this whole experience does nothing more than make JA and maybe a few others think about how what they say affects other, then maybe threads like this will have been worth it.

i admit that's worse than the whole rap slur incident, which i interpreted as an exchange using the language of rap and was tit-for-tat between the pair of them. I had no idea he'd used the same approach to anyone he knew to be gay and until a few posts ago it hadn't been referred to in this thread. So fine, iv'e nowt else to add on that .

I'll just add I hope it blows over for him as i don't like to see any individual turned on en masse no matter how much they bring it on themselves, and hopefully he'll sort himself out, but i dunno.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i admit that's worse than the whole rap slur incident, which i interpreted as an exchange using the language of rap and was tit-for-tat between the pair of them. I had no idea he'd used the same approach to anyone he knew to be gay and until a few posts ago it hadn't been referred to in this thread. So fine, iv'e nowt else to add on that .

I'll just add I hope it blows over for him as i don't like to see any individual turned on en masse no matter how much they bring it on themselves, and hopefully he'll sort himself out, but i dunno.

Even if it was part of the language of rap, that wouldn't make it ok. It's a nasty, poisonous attitude wherever it's coming from and, imo, should be challenged wherever it raises it's ugly head.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

James Arthur has been diagnosed with 'knobilitis' and told to hide away while it all blows over.

As an aside, I can see him falling into a pit of depression due to his behaviour. Surely he can't be happy about the grief he is causing for himself. Silly man.
  • Options
    bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tabby_Shaw wrote: »
    If 'ones of a rebellious nature' buy an album by an XF winner, they need a crash course in rebellion.

:D Sadly that's where it falls apart, if it was a credible rock star saying these things it's exceptable but when it's by a x factor winner credibility goes out of the window, pity really but hey, that's the price you pay for going on a show that no one takes the acts seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it was part of the language of rap, that wouldn't make it ok. It's a nasty, poisonous attitude wherever it's coming from and, imo, should be challenged wherever it raises it's ugly head.

It is only through challenging it, regardless of where it is present, that attitudes will (albeit slowly) change. The pain caused by the pervasive belief that homosexuality is wrong is far reaching...more so than a lot of people realise.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll just add I hope it blows over for him as i don't like to see any individual turned on en masse no matter how much they bring it on themselves

I don't normally like to see - or be a part of - an angry pitchfork wielding mob either but in cases as extreme as James Arthur, I think the person who behaved badly needs some sort of consequences. People being unwilling to put up with homophobic slurs and being called something like a "bedwetter" can surely only be a good thing?
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I saw this about him being sick, I thought it was the convenient excuse to not have him on the X factor... But it's just one week.
    They could always extend his sick leave if it looks like he is less & less welcome on the show.

But considering his erradic behaviour on twitter, I also think something might be wrong with him tbh...
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh, he's got a sick note. Just in time to have 'recovered' in time for his X Factor appearance next week :rolleyes:

Next it will be the dog ate his homework.

:D Made me laugh :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

This is quite clearly a case of damage limitation. I'd bet he's been told if he doesn't shut up he's ditched. If he does behave now they will use the 'exhaustion' to explain what he's said. If he doesn't agree they will let him ruin his career.
  • Options
    aclevernameaclevername Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Acute exhaustion" sounds a lot like PR speak for "Get out of the public eye until things calm down, and stir up a bit of sympathy while we're at it".
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he will appear on the x-factor now? He came across as slightly deranged in his tweets to Lucy Spraggan.
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    I'm not defending him at all but isn't there anyone else who thinks that, instead of sending Louis Walsh onto radio 1 to bury him, Syco should be trying to protect someone who has been thrown into the media limelight without the tools to deal with it. At very least he has no internal filter, at worst he has serious emotional problems - but either way surely his management's job should be to protect him from this stuff (and even himself) so he has a shot at a career, rather than just lapping up the short term publicity he is bringing on himself.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    I'm not defending him at all but isn't there anyone else who thinks that, instead of sending Louis Walsh onto radio 1 to bury him, Syco should be trying to protect someone who has been thrown into the media limelight without the tools to deal with it. At very least he has no internal filter, at worst he has serious emotional problems - but either way surely his management's job should be to protect him from this stuff (and even himself) so he has a shot at a career, rather than just lapping up the short term publicity he is bringing on himself.

Apparently they offered him media training but he refused. You can lead a horse to water and all that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

As I said, I think this is his management offering him a last chance at still having a career.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member

How are his management supposed to protect him from himself? The negative reaction towards him is because of his attitude towards other people, how he handles people who send him the stuff on twitter. He hadn't even won the show and he was slating past winners. His ego and rudeness is his problem, not that he's found fame quickly. The only thing the management should do is what they have and remove him from twitter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I posted a link to an article in which James stated that he refused media training so it seems he was offered some tools for dealing with the limelight. That said, it could be said that his people ignored all the early warning signs with regard to his ego and emotional problems and have allowed the situation to get to this state. On the other hand, how do we know that they haven't tried, we have no idea what has gone on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Totally agree!
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can give it out but he can't take it can he?
    First signs of a backlash and he 'apparently' collapses like a little boy! If he can't take the heat he should get out of the kitchen!