Mad Men.

Comments

• Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?! It was a great episode. Peggy's pitch, Sally's ways, Harry constantly being insulted, Cutler failing, Don and Roger together, Pete being Pete "Marriage is a racket." And of course the death of poor ol' Bert.

That ending was perhaps a little too indulgent, but it was an enjoyable ending to what I believe has been an excellent season.

I'm just upset we now have to wait almost an entire year for it to start again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?! It was a great episode/QUOTE]

No. It wasn't.

A great Mad Men episode hasn't been seen so far in season 7. Perhaps the episode two weeks ago when Michael had his breakdown, but other than that, this season has plodded along.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it rather bad form to be discussing an episode that doesn't air in the UK until tomorrow? I thought that was frowned upon round here.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably shouldn't have been, but then again the thread subject does not specify a "pace".

There is actually a UK pace thread, but no one else seems to have bothered with it:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I didn't know about that thread.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?! It was a great episode. Peggy's pitch, Sally's ways, Harry constantly being insulted, Cutler failing, Don and Roger together, Pete being Pete "Marriage is a racket." And of course the death of poor ol' Bert.

That ending was perhaps a little too indulgent, but it was an enjoyable ending to what I believe has been an excellent season.

I'm just upset we now have to wait almost an entire year for it to start again.

It has been a poor half season. Far more misses than hits and that musical finale was cringeworthy. Another year to wait is a good thing as they might come up with some decent story lines.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've already wrapped. If not, they are very close. Elisabeth Moss stated on Conan a few weeks back that thhey only have a couple more days to shoot I believe.

I've enjoyed it. Then again I just absolutely adore the show. It can do no wrong in my eyes. I could happily watch Betty reading and smoking, or Don gazing out of a window, for 50 minutes so long as it has the opening credits to draw me in and the beautiful camera shots.

Ted Chough sitting miserably at his desk. That would be some episode.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Well Well!

I can see that some may be dissappointed but for me that was Like Volkswagon saying "Lemon", I'm sure when I watch again it will be subliminally flashed up somewhere in the Episode.

Got to be one of the best episodes ever and certainly best one for a long time and just the way to take the mini-break in the season.

For me it was just "Wow" yes with a Capital W . .. . and to see the Tony Winning Robert Morse (Bert) bow out with a fantastic Potteresque version of "The Best Things in Life are Free" was a great touch for an Actor that has been such a central part of the show over the last few years and allowed him to take his bow with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Feels right back on track and cant wait for the climax next year, and oh yeah "way to go Roger" :D
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a great episode - the moon landing, Peggy's pitch, Sally turning into her mother (that final pose with her hair & cigarette was perfect), the corporate machinations, all great set-ups for the end-of-series next year... I admit the musical ending was slightly off-centre, but it was a nice goodbye to Burt, and a fond salute to the actor Robert Morse and his own musical background... and of course we ended with Don, totally alone in the office while everyone else is elsewhere sharing exciting news...
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I loved it! I maintain that Joan has had a personality transplant to turn her into a cutthroat bitch! At least now she can wind her (very beautiful) neck in as Roger has made everyone millions.

Seeing Jim Cutler play his hand and fall flat on his face was great fun. He was even more odious than Lou this week. This show has always been at its best when we're watching the office politics and business dealings take place. Please let this be the last time we have to put up with Megan on-screen.

It's been nice watching Don and Peggy reconnect and teaming up to win Burger Chef. They're obviously a formidable team and it was great of Don to let Peggy take the driving seat when he thought he was about to be shafted.

The send-off for Bert was a little strange and unexpected but I still enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting how he sang (or I should say Don imagined him singing) "the best things in life are free" after Don has just tied himself down to a 5-year contract. I can't see him enjoying life in the office under McCann's rule. Roger might be named president but it's true what Bert said: he doesn't have a vision.

It's set up nicely for the next half of this final season, which we now have a long wait for. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I've watched it. You can talk about it now. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were just sayin . . . :D

Liked how they dealt with the Moon Landing, very realistic - it did seem the whole world went on pause and was watching on in total awe (from a kids perspective I'll have ya know) :D but good to know the Burger Chef peeps were still workin away and takin meets for us :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Yes ???

Whats going on with the Joanie (Still Loving Christina's portrayal) but the writers are surely up to something - it does not ring true the way she has changed last/this season.

On a serarate note if the timeline follows then next ep (next year) will possibly include the Sharon Tate Storyline and what might this have to bear on Megan!

Great to see Alison Brie back, really wish we could see more of her in the last few eps. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loved it. The last 2 episodes have been brilliant, and the whole season has been on form so far.

For all Don's wrong doings, what he did for Peggy showed that he does care, he could have totally shaffted them all with Burger Chef and acted like a child about the whole thing. But he didn't, he took care of Peggy :)

Not liking Joan at all this season. As for the musical, yes it was slightly out there - but a nice tribute to the actor - and (as with Ginsberg's break down which was hinted to in previous episodes) Don used to see his dead brother, so the seeing dead people wasn't all that out there for him.

Interested to see if Peggy's son comes into it somehow which the Julio stuff might relate to. And as for Megan, so glad she's gone - and the whole break up was done in such an under stated way, the silence... beautifully done.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    It ends with a Merger and a Death - all we need now, is Sal to return next year.

Loved the Song and Dance routine...perfect for Bert.:)

Roger saying, Armstrong will be busy in Florida, was classic Roger.;-)

And Peggy moving out of the Shadow of Don.:cool:

"He shouldn't be rattled"
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This first half was supposed to be about the material things in life and the second half of the season is supposed to be about
    so what happens next when you have the money and the job and all those things that come from that?
    . Therefore I think that the final scene with Bert and Don kind of set that up for us I. That it kind of leaves Don thinking so what now?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Back to form. Bert's song was an awesome farewell.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved that last episode, was really good. I was shocked when they said we had had to wait until next year for it to return =( I know Breaking Bad split their final season into 2 parts, but I don't think Mad Men needed to do it.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither Breaking Bad nor Mad Men *needed* to do it.

IMO the reason for both was just so AMC could string them out longer...
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think it worked pretty well for Breaking Bad, I didn't like the break but the anticipation of it returning and seeing how it all worked out was exciting. Yeah it was so AMC could drag it out, but I didn't mind.

But it was definitely not needed for Mad Men.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love every season of Mad Men. I had no problems with this one, except we have to wait for the second half. For me it's about characters and not plot. I shed a tear for old Bert, he was a marvellous character and he went out in style, the end of an era. But it IS the end if an era. Mad Men is coming to an end. There aren't many of us left watching but I'm glad they have stuck to their guns and kept it going.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Really good ending I thought. Just a shame we have to wait so damn long for the final episodes.

Loved the way they did the moon landing.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode. I've enjoyed this half-season.
    I enjoyed the music scene at the end a lot.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    This weeks episode was piss-poor. It was unworthy of a mid season finale. For the material they had for the episode (moon landing, Bert's death), it didn't live up to expectations.
    The musical ending? I don't think I've ever been embarrassed by a scene in Mad Men, like I was watching this.
    That's it now until next year. It has seven episodes to return to greatness.

I thought it was a superb episode. Up there with the best of them since Season 4. The breakdown of Don's marriage, over the phone and mostly done in silent pauses, was a magnificent piece of writing. Bert's death, bizarre as it was, was brave, funny and moving all at once.
This discussion has been closed.