The most obnoxious University Challenge contestant ever?

Comments

• Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL contestants on University Challenge have that smug "Aren't I clever ?" look on their face.

..They usually are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the smugness, or the chatty style, and he's pretty knowledgable....

What makes me completely want to put my foot through the TV is his hands.

He's congenitally incapable of keeping them away from his face/head/neck for more than two seconds at a time. Watch how frequently he has to touch his neck, scratch his head, adjust his glasses, take a drink even when the question is being asked......it's bizarre! The only time he can restrain himself is right at the start during the intros...must be some sort of stress related thing.

Half the time, he's even doing it when the starter questions are being asked, with no possibility of getting his hands to the buzzer in time to offer any kind of answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Manchester on a fine win!

Kelly, McKenna, Burke and Joyce - enjoy St Patrick's Day, lads!! ;)
  • FFSFFS Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    valkay wrote: »
    He is irritating, but not as obnoxious as that girl who was on a few years ago.
    Who do you reckon was worse: that girl from a few years ago or that bloke from a few years before that?

Dude, I know! It's gotta be the bloke, then the girl, then maybe this new guy.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burke by name, berk by nature. He clearly reckons he’s a bit of a character and sees the column inches that Gautenplan got and is going for that sort of coverage. Unfortunately for him he is an arse and no doubt someone, somewhere will belt him soon. Judging by Paxo’s increasing exasperation I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Jezza plants one on him first!!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Got to say we found him annoying and not a good captain. I did wonder if he was a bit drunk, TBH.

Fizzbin - McKeena, was IIRC quite cute though

Can someone remind me in a bit more detail, of the other contenders?

Aso, is Karran the one who looks like he's come from the
    70s?
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned off after 15 minutes of a very one sided contest and that bloody Tristan itching and scratching like he was lousey.

Could someone tell me if the Oxford college managed to even get on the scoreboard please?
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the mature student on their team far more irritating. Hope UCL triumph with the hairy med student captain Jamie Karran.

He's Looooovely ! and at l;east brings a little bit of joy to what can sometimes be a dull show ! I said sometimes not always!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Sigh. You're watching University Challenge , not Take me Out.If you have an aversion to watching clever but socially unusual people displaying their cleverness why on earth are you watching ?

I think Tristan Burke is a breath of fresh air. It's nice to see a captain genuinely enjoying himself - see Karran as well. Yes his affectations are not for everyone , but there should be room in life for the gauche and eccentric. And yes he is bloody good at his strengths and not afraid to admit his weaknesses.

More power to his elbow I say.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    Who do you reckon was worse: that girl from a few years ago or that bloke from a few years before that?

You know who I mean, I forget her name but she was a one woman team, answered all the questions herself without asking the others,a right annoying clever dickess, she was in all the papers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    You know who I mean, I forget her name but she was a one woman team, answered all the questions herself without asking the others,a right annoying clever dickess, she was in all the papers.

Her name was Gail Trimble and the only accusation you are correct on is that she was clever. The show is a difficult academic buzzer quiz. What on earth are you expecting ? A swimsuit round ?
  • Will WhitfootWill Whitfoot Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I think Gail Trimble is the woman you mean. :)

The most annoying thing for me was not the captain's mannerisms but the fact that, having won the starter, they then faffed around for ages answering the bonuses.

Of course, they are allowed some time to think, but I felt they extended the fair advantage they had gained by being quick (and correct) on the starter questions into an unfair one, which added up to several minutes of potential questions remaining unasked.

However, they were the stronger team and it will be fun to see them pitted against Zaphod Beeblebrox and his UCL team if they win the other semi. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghiselle wrote: »
    Sigh. You're watching University Challenge , not Take me Out.If you have an aversion to watching clever but socially unusual people displaying their cleverness why on earth are you watching ?

I think Tristan Burke is a breath of fresh air. It's nice to see a captain genuinely enjoying himself - see Karran as well. Yes his affectations are not for everyone , but there should be room in life for the gauche and eccentric. And yes he is bloody good at his strengths and not afraid to admit his weaknesses.

More power to his elbow I say.

^^^^^^^^This.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most annoying thing for me was not the captain's mannerisms but the fact that, having won the starter, they then faffed around for ages answering the bonuses.
    When did this become about Dad's Army? :D

So far as the time-wasting strategy goes, it's standard practice and Paxman is very good at chivvying a team along, when the need arises - usually in the closing minutes when the scores are close: it noticably speeds up. However in this case it was plain that the other team hadn't really turned up (0 points by "half-time", won a starter, then lost all 10 points with two incorrect interruptions). So this contest was recognised by all concerned as more "a bit of fun" than an earnest competition.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I found him great fun.

Loved his very pained reply to the first maths equation:

"I have absolutely no idea what the question was!!!"
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    When did this become about Dad's Army? :D

So far as the time-wasting strategy goes, it's standard practice and Paxman is very good at chivvying a team along, when the need arises - usually in the closing minutes when the scores are close: it noticably speeds up. However in this case it was plain that the other team hadn't really turned up (0 points by "half-time", won a starter, then lost all 10 points with two incorrect interruptions). So this contest was recognised by all concerned as more "a bit of fun" than an earnest competition.

I love trying to say "come on!" at the same time as JP:o

Gail wasn't annoying, IMO just very bright. Wonder what she's doing doing now.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghiselle wrote: »
    Her name was Gail Trimble and the only accusation you are correct on is that she was clever. The show is a difficult academic buzzer quiz. What on earth are you expecting ? A swimsuit round ?

There is nothing more annoying to some people than the sight of someone being clever in public. This is why prime time quiz shows carefully screen contestants so that only low wattage lumpenproles get on.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tristran Burke. A breath of fresh air in a competition usually full of stuff-shirts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    He should be assassinated otherwise he'll end up as PM and we'll have to see his smirk everyday.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very disappointed with Worcester College but to be fair they were steam rolled in the first 10 minutes - up to the first picture round - and never really recovered. It was as if their confidence was shot, which was a shame.

Nearly every year there's somebody who has a different persona/mannerisms. It's usually down to the nerves and stress of appearing and they don't usually get as far as the Semi's.

I just hope whoever wins next week gives Manchester a real contest in the final and it's not as one sided as last night. Manchesters biggest enemy could be over confidence and they could be put on the back foot if they get a couple of incorrect starters which cost them points.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurgh, I just watched 4 minutes of him on iPlayer, I can't stand the gimp. OP you're right.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be in the minority here but I didn't find him at all annoying, the same with Jamie Karran. I like it when the students show a bit of personality and that they're clever.

As for looking smug, most of them have never appeared on tv before and it's more likely that it's because they're feeling nervous.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch it last night but if it's the same bloke I saw in an earlier round I wanted to wipe the smug grin off his face.
    Just checked on i player. yep; it's him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Give the kid a break. I think contestants who tend toward the quirky are as valid as contestants than some of the more terribly serious-minded souls who inhabit the show. I like the vibe of Tristran's ying to Paul Joyce's yang. They are all brave souls for going on national TV with all of the potential humiliation that it can bring.

Good luck to Manchester in the final...
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority here but I didn't find him at all annoying, the same with Jamie Karran. I like it when the students show a bit of personality and that they're clever.
    Although he obviously *is* very clever, I was pleased that I got the answers (well, 2 of them at least - I had "x+3" when it should have been x+sqrt(3)) to the maths questions about largest +ve roots when he didn't even understand the question.