Derren Brown: Fear and Faith, 9pm Ch4&HD, 9th Nov & 16th Nov

Comments

• Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that turning over a new leaf didn't last long did it?

Leopards and spots springs to mind.

Anyway, as flattered as I an to be the star of my own thread, let's get back to the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Yes, let's!

I'm looking forward to this more than the zombie programme. I'm very interested in the psychology of fear, so it should provide plenty of food for thought.

Well I certainly think this one will contain 95% less zombies than the last one. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Sounds like rubbish. I enjoyed his last show.

Oh well, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

It might be interesting so give it a go and report back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the conclusion of this - two parter? - is little more than 'guess what, that 'drug' was a mere placebo!' I am going to never ever ever watch any of his shows again. This is his last chance, 'post-Apocalypse.'

See you on all the up coming ones! :D
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that turning over a new leaf didn't last long did it?

Leopards and spots springs to mind.

Anyway, as flattered as I an to be the star of my own thread, let's get back to the show.

Yes but getting back to the show, which you started an argument over, sort of moves away from the central issue that what qualifies you to post as the fount of all knowledge changes from id to id.

Why are you no longer touting yourself as a hypnotherapist ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    I do not take Derrens shows as experiements, but as TV entertainment now. If you remember his Lotto show - where he actually engineered some elaborate bullshit story to back up his trick - sadly it was prooved the balls were swapped.
    It's a shame because he was once much more credible.

credible? When has any magician been credible as the very nature of what they do is to deceive.

Or do you mean you preferred it when he gave excuses that you thought could be true and now he is giving excuses that you don't think could be true?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Yes, let's!

I'm looking forward to this more than the zombie programme. I'm very interested in the psychology of fear, so it should provide plenty of food for thought.

I'm hoping its a bit more of a return to the old ways - a lot of his recent specials have been misfires for me.

Fingers crossed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you had a drug that would completely remove fear, it would be extremely dangerous for anyone taking it, so it sounds like more bollox.

you'd be walking in front of cars, eating poisonous mushrooms, etc. bit like the film "fearless" with jeff bridges.
    There is a difference between fear and stupidity though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    credible? When has any magician been credible as the very nature of what they do is to deceive.

Or do you mean you preferred it when he gave excuses that you thought could be true and now he is giving excuses that you don't think could be true?

Exactly! I preferred it when he tricked me into thinking he was using NLP, cold-reading, elaborate methods of suggestion and a variety of other ways of covering up that he was basically a magician and the other 'super-brain' stuff was his variety of misdirection. It was a great trick for a while, he got me, but having got where he's got while having to admit he's an illusionist not a genuine mental miracle, I don't think he knows what to do next... or I don't really care for it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ralph777 wrote: »
    There is a difference between fear and stupidity though.

Fortunately evolution has a way of dealing with the terminally stupid and protecting the fearful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly! I preferred it when he tricked me into thinking he was using NLP, cold-reading, elaborate methods of suggestion and a variety of other ways of covering up that he was basically a magician and the other 'super-brain' stuff was his variety of misdirection. It was a great trick for a while, he got me, but having got where he's got while having to admit he's an illusionist not a genuine mental miracle, I don't think he knows what to do next... or I don't really care for it anyway.

To be fair I like to think that rather than turning out the same old mentalism tricks , he's tried to do something different with these specials. There is a problem though that the last few specials have also been a bit samey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly that has always been a problem for the famous who have to keep coming up with something new and to keep reinventing themselves.

Maybe Derren Brown mark III will have something you enjoy.

(Also not just the very famous as I have to put new things into my shows as playing again at the same venue would be boring if I did exactly what I did last time. Even then people have their favourites and often keep saying "Oh I loved it when you did XYZ" and that was many years ago!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly that has always been a problem for the famous who have to keep coming up with something new and to keep reinventing themselves.

Maybe Derren Brown mark III will have something you enjoy.

(Also not just the very famous as I have to put new things into my shows as playing again at the same venue would be boring if I did exactly what I did last time. Even then people have their favourites and often keep saying "Oh I loved it when you did XYZ" and that was many years ago!)

How do fit this in with your hypnotherapy ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Richard Bandler might take issue with you there. He has some great psychological tricks for getting people unstuck without using hypnotism (although he can) Personally, I find NLP a bit too formulaic for my liking, but like everything else, it really depends on the practioner, not the science itself.

NLP is far too hung up on its own models and inflexible for my liking. All people and all brains do not comply exactly to the norm and so often a bit jazzing works wonders.
    Forum Member
    Isn't NLP a load of hooey?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The little bit I've read of it suggests that there are some basic truths to it but, like many things, different folk get hold of it and then start to make exagerated claims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just a brand of psychology. The problem with all psychology is that it tries to define an exact, logical and repeatable answer, but people and the human mind is not an exact logical thing.

If you get 100 people and in an experiment certainly a large percentage will follow what is psychologically predicted, not everyone will.

But if you run the experiment enough times you can predict to a certain degree what the outcome be but being humans there will always be am error factor. That goes for all psychological things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I hope this isn't as bad as the tosh he put on last week, cus i like Derron Brown and i don't want to start going off him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they put their follow soldiers in danger as well? Is that a good think in warfare?
    Forum Member
    Just a brand of psychology. The problem with all psychology is that it tries to define an exact, logical and repeatable answer, but people and the human mind is not an exact logical thing.

If you get 100 people and in an experiment certainly a large percentage will follow what is psychologically predicted, not everyone will.

But if you run the experiment enough times you can predict to a certain degree what the outcome be but being humans there will always be am error factor. That goes for all psychological things.

Thanks but that contained no information about whether NLP was a load of rubbish. It implied that it's recognised amongst the psychological/scientific community, although I believe that is not the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's an ACTOR!!!!!!!!!!

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Non existent drug is just sugar pills - placebo effect conquers their fears. Could it be that see through?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks but that contained no information about whether NLP was a load of rubbish. It implied that it's recognised amongst the psychological/scientific community, although I believe that is not the case.

Some say they have got results others say it's crap.

I say it's boring and I have other methods that work and that I'm more happy with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This is a bit more interesting than last weeks...

The reason Named brands of painkillers are more expensive than non named brands is because people buy the named ones thinking they are getting better painkillers when really they are exactly the same ,,,,its a sort of placebo effect
    Forum Member
    Why Would Derren Brown Be Fronting A Show About A New Drug? It Would Obviously Obviously Obviously Not Be A Real Drug Who Is A Moron And Who Is Pretending To Be A Moron To Get On Tv I'm So Close To Switching Over Already Aaaaaarrrggghhh.

Edit - oh seems you can't write in ALL-CAPS.