Root Metrics Report Leicester - March 2013

2»

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have asked the same of the other guy :D

I should think so - not as openly on the forum of course.....

Personalisation on the open forum is reserved for those who you don't agree with... is that right?

I see no sign of any post questioning any others....

Looks very like a very even handed approach..... NOT!
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    You'll find in the past I have asked him. No big deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll find in the past I have asked him. No big deal.

Not in public on the forum like in my case of course.....

That speaks volumes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big assumptions again. I've only ever spoken to Thine one time over PM. I never asked then.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    No - I don't accept that at all.... I don't own an O2 phone, have never been an O2 customer other than on PAYG and with GiffGaff but I can't stand the tripe posted by people who continually diss O2 despite it's obvious success in satisfying the 23 million customers it serves.

I don't promote O2 at all. I simply provide some balance when the 'O2 hate brigade' spearheaded by the No 1 3 UK promoter decide to infect threads with ridiculous negative nonsense based on their own very limited use of the network and their untypical use of mobile networks in general.

I expect the usual personalised nonsense to follow, If it breaches the terms of this site I will have it removed. Be warned.

And? Doesn't mean you don't promote O2 24/7. What i find weird is how you have no connection to O2 yet still promote everything they do. You play up the "o2 hate brigade" card when 99% of the time it's people responding to the stuff you post about other networks. You seem to attack people at every opportunity tbh. It's rarely the other way around.

All i'm saying is that don't feel you have to defend O2 all the time. Let the facts and statistics talk for themselves. Like you say, O2 wouldn't have 23m customers unless they were doing something right.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big assumptions again. I've only ever spoken to Thine one time over PM. I never asked then.

I never delete my PMs and I just checked back and you are 100% correct, you sent me one message about which council area I was in for planning as I made a comment about how I couldn't find any planning applications.

That's the only think you've ever PM'd about, many others (about 10) have PM'd me on a certain other topic though;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Let the facts and statistics talk for themselves. Like you say, O2 wouldn't have 23m customers unless they were doing something right.

Spot on and I'm seriously considering 3 for a Galaxy S4, subject to some research re the local reliability of the network as I have had some poor experiences previously.

The laugh is that for the last 6 years or so I have been a Vodafone customer on contract. They have been fine for me. I just don't like to see people post nonsense about companies that are as stated, very successful whilst promoting others which many seem to politely ignore.
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't like to see people post nonsense about companies.

You post all kinds of nonsense about 3 even though Root metrics have proved in Glasgow your local area by the way, 3 is the best most reliable mobile network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some evidence of questioning in open forum then?

I have no interest in the individual you listed as it's very clear about the promotional agenda but it would be interesting to see some proof of questioning regarding that obvious posting bias.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    You post all kinds of nonsense about 3 even though Root metrics have proved in Glasgow your local area by the way, 3 is the best most reliable mobile network.

Aye right...... and I should believe the posts on the net and disregard the actual performance in real life where I live and work!

I visited the 3 store near my work and they showed me 14Mbps on a handset in the store. (Connected using a PicoCell of course). Outside the shopping centre their performance was 0.85Mbps!

Smoke an mirrors... not just on this forum by 3 fanboys but by the company (and others no doubt) in their retail outlets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I advise all to type Wavejockglw in google and look at some other forums he is on.................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I advise all to type Wavejockglw in google and look at some other forums he is on.................

Personalisation..... not unexpected when argument is lost.

BTW - I'm comfortable with where my nick has appeared!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the argument? This is a thread about root metrics and I just pointed out that Root metrics have found 3 to be the best mobile provider in Glasgow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the argument? This is a thread about root metrics and I just pointed out that Root metrics have found 3 to be the best mobile provider in Glasgow.

Perhaps they did but side by side my old Samsung Galaxy S on Vodafone beats a Sony Xperia Z on 3 so I'm right to be sceptical I think

Off topic in this thread I suspect..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they did but side by side my old Samsung Galaxy S on Vodafone beats a Sony Xperia Z on 3 so I'm right to be sceptical I think

Off topic in this thread I suspect..

I actually have the EXACT opposite, plus a 02 sim in my iPhone gets 2G, A 3 sim in the same phone gets full 3G signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually have the EXACT opposite, plus a 02 sim in my iPhone gets 2G, A 3 sim in the same phone gets full 3G signal.

Who cares..... are you in the same area as me?

What has that to do with the topic this thread was created to discuss?

Mobile performance in Leicester is the issue here.......
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a member of the Root Metrics project on my phone and wife's phone we sent in quite a few tests mainly while travelling around Leicester and can say its pretty accurate I am on EE and she is on Vodafone with average speeds I could get was 2.5mb and she got 4.7 mb on Vodafone although did get 11mb outside the train station.
    As a side note was looking at maps at Market Harborough in Leicestershire and noticed in one location they had over 106,000 results think somebody must have left background testing constant oops
  • Options
    Forum Member
    uno: The same type of phone? Both on monthly contract?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes we both have IPhone 5 I also installed it on sisters EE Samsung S3 network speeds all over Leicester on EE have really gone downhill with most speed tests coming back below 5 mb seems hardly any DC coverage hence why I am chasing up 4G coverage for Leicester in another thread so can get back to some good speed.
    The strange thing is when EE announced Leicester would have 4G by March the local mayor and council made a big thing of it but seems from this batch we are the only ones still waiting for the coverage to go live and planning search shows no recent in last year or so planned upgrades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it central Leicester that you've been doing this? There isn't much DC or HSPA+ in Leicester yet. April should see certain parts of the city become faster and i do believe 4G coverage should increase somewhat, shortly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The testing I did on my phone and the wife's phone was done all over Leicester and surrounding areas.
    There was quite a lot done in the town centre while on shopping trips or on the way to watch Tigers rugby games.
    Obviously on the iPhone it does not show what type of connection you have on 3G but know my sisters Samsung S3 very rarely shows h+ all over Leicester, As you have said hopefully more sites will be upgraded in April I wonder if this fits in with MBNL work as see Leicester is still not enabled to be a super fast area on 3 so perhaps work will be done at same time.
    The big question is though is how much notice do the networks take of these Root metric reports ? I wonder if the company do sell data on to the networks with more detailed information about results and signal levels.
    On a side note does anybody know how often and when EE update their coverage maps ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    I wonder if the company do sell data on to the networks with more detailed information about results and signal levels.
    On a side note does anybody know how often and when EE update their coverage maps ?

They do.. EE get them regularly. T-Mobile in the states have encouraged customers to use the app as they will look at the maps for future improvements. The tests with them do not even count towards the monthly allowances!

As for the map.. approx. 30 days but it hasn't seen a proper update in a while. Might now seeing they just hit 50% LTE, nearly 50 odd % DC and upgraded a good number of semi rural sites to 3G. The checker seems to be more up to date than the actual map plots themselves.