Options

3G Mobile Broadband - Any good?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I am completely useless with technology so please use plain english for me!!

I will be getting a laptop and will need to get broadband on it. I will be travelling to places where there is no broadband in the property so will need a portable device.

I will only need to remote connect up with my work Pc and do some on line banking etc nothing to major. So would this Vodafone 3G mobile broadband be any good for that?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    That's exactly what it's designed for, so yes :)

Connection speed will be entirely dependant on the signal you get at each location, but it's usually more than good enough for a bit of basic web browsing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a 3G capable mobile phone? If so check whether 3G is available where you are going to use the computer. It is fair to say that coverage is patchy and if you live outside the city or in an area where you are not close to an aerial then it will be next to useless.

If you haven't got 3G on your phone try it with a mate who has when he/she comes round. Most of the lastest models have 3G capability

A phone line or cable based broadband service is much more reliable and cheap if you already have or intend to get satellite or cabel tv, its virtually free. Although not necessarily very quick and with limits on downloads for what you want I would say this is the best option

Good luck

edit: I just read you will be travelling so in this case 3G is the best option again though depends where you go. City centres usually fine, I travel loads staying in hotels and can pick up emails on my mobile phone - which has 3G - in most cities. certainly cheaper than paying hotel broadband rates ( unless they provide it free of course )
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    I think you'd get more response if you put this in the correct forum - the mobile phone one.