Options

After a Portable DVD Player

TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

My portable DVD's just packed up and I'm after a new one. Needs to be cheap as I'm moving house, say £70 tops roughly. One I've got is a 7" so want at least that again, and at least 2 hour battery life. Any recommendations? Would like it to be multi-region hackable but that's not essential.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheapest one I know matches those specs is this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHILIPS-PET730-05-Portable-Player/dp/B000NUVEZ2/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213462652&sr=1-47

I have a Philips and found it easy to make multiregion (one of the Amazon pages has instructions by a reviewer). The same remote code works for all in the Philips range I think

Switch the player on and open the DVD tray lid inside the machine.
    Press Setup on the remote control.
    Move the menu selector down to Preferences and then press the Right arrow.
    Press 2, 1, 2, 2, 2 and then 5.
    Press Left arrow.
    Press Down arrow.
    The screen should then display Region Code. Press 0.
    Press Setup on the remote again to exit.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    the philips ones have decent battery life. atleast 4 hours depending on how much you spend.

all the cheap ones have low resolution, the cheap philips is about crisp as it gets for the resolution. some cheapies are plain fuzzy.
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I bought a £50 tevion (Aldi) player 12 months ago, and agree about the fuzziness.

The quality isn't that bad for the price (actually, it's bloody good value) and seems to vary with discs, some look better than others. But I've been thinking of upgrading for a while. Looked at quite a few, and the Philips ones look very good, I've got my eye on Panasonic though. I think it's the LS86 that has 12+hrs and a 8.5 inch screen. Pricey, but they're usually excellent.