The Mini is 50 years old

2»

Comments

• Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original 1959 mini was a wonderful piece of design and engineering.

In 1959 it was radical and different and it's place in motoring history is assured.

Everyone from the dustman to royalty had one which is quite unique.

Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday hear mini
    Happy birthday to yoy.

Toooooooot Tooooooooooot. :)

Just as long as you know the man who designed it and the Land Rover was a Greek.
  • nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    I bought mine a year ago, r reg cooper, absolutely love it. for an affordable low-price car, it looks terrific from every angle.
  • nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    Just as long as you know the man who designed it and the Land Rover was a Greek.

we salute you, Mr Issigonis. Wonderful design.
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Great car.
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible ugly little rot box when Leyland made it and an overpriced girlie thing now by BMW.

Its never impressed me and in its latest incarnation looks pretty poor as a saloon and utterly ridiculous as a clubman.

No wonder the Japanese wiped the floor with the British motor industry.

i am so glad scotland will be independent and dont expect our tax money to help you out, youll be on your own, i think you will last 2 weeks before you come crying to us
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder the Japanese wiped the floor with the British motor industry.
    That'll be the English motor industry, surely? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeadJoe wrote: »
    That'll be the English motor industry, surely? :)

he he:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am so glad scotland will be independent and dont expect our tax money to help you out, youll be on your own, i think you will last 2 weeks before you come crying to us

to be honest you can rip the crap out of the new crap mini but the old one is an amazing little car
  • TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first was a Mini Traveller I paid £30 for :D

The second was a bright orange mini with black vinyl top - knicked name "Jaffa cake" :D
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I passed my test back in the early seventies in a Mini. I was already used to driving much bigger cars and in comparison the tiny Mini was a doddle to drive.

I could not believe that being passed in this toy car gave you a licence to drive any proper car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love a mini sometime in the future (not a very old one maybe) but think they insurance would be pricey on them, especially a new one and considering I've just applied for my provisional. :(
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite breed of car :D

We had one about 15 years ago and I have vague memories of it... my dad's head almost touching the ceiling. It was a white creamy colour and I loved it. My dad sold it for £50!

A few years ago, I realised that I wanted one and my dad was saying that they are rust buckets, make loads of noise yada yada yada but I still wanted one... nearly bought one last year but I decided not to. My dad refused to believe that you can't buy one for under a grand nowadays (believe me, I've looked) and now he says that if he knew how much they sold for now, he wouldn't have sold ours at that time.

Now I do want a Bini but one day I WILL get a real Mini. My dad says that there's no reason I couldn't have two cars :p it'd be my little project.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I passed my test back in the early seventies in a Mini. I was already used to driving much bigger cars and in comparison the tiny Mini was a doddle to drive.

I could not believe that being passed in this toy car gave you a licence to drive any proper car.

Same here. I remember doing hand signals and having difficulty getting my arm back inside the car because of the sliding windows.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Same here. I remember doing hand signals and having difficulty getting my arm back inside the car because of the sliding windows.

I had forgotten the sliding windows, come to think of it had forgotten hand signals.

I do remember the pull cord they had instead of a door handle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    I got mine insured when I was just on a provisional, it was very expensive at all. That said I had had my provisional for quite some time!
  • looneyboplooneybop Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    My favourite type of car! I wish I could afford one. My dad had one for years. It was bright red.

Happy Birthday Mini
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

So what if he was Greek, the mini and land rover were fantastic designs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I had forgotten the sliding windows, come to think of it had forgotten hand signals.

I do remember the pull cord they had instead of a door handle.

The early ones had a starter button between the seats so you turned the ignition key and then pressed the starter button.

I got an old mini and tried pushing it down the street as it wouldn't start.

I thought turning the key was enough I didn't realise there was a button to push as well. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what if he was Greek, the mini and land rover were fantastic designs.

I have no problem at all with his Greek heritage. I was simply pointing it out to Elanor Rigby who is often to be heard bemoaning the state of this country as regards its imigrant population. I just wanted her to see the irony of her aplause for the mini when contrasted against her less than liberal views on the subject.
    A point which I note she has not commented upon. This comes as no surprise as she always shys away from answering any critisism whatsoever because I think she is scared that her arguments will not hold up and does not want to look foolish. Probably quite a sensible tactic on her part.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The early ones had a starter button between the seats so you turned the ignition key and then pressed the starter button.

I got an old mini and tried pushing it down the street as it wouldn't start.

I thought turning the key was enough I didn't realise there was a button to push as well. :)

F.Y.I. If one has turned on the ignition then the car then it will start with a push. Pushing the car and slipping it into gear whilst moving performs the same operation as the starter button. I too have had minis and landrovers and a Morris Minor which was also invented by Issigonis.