Lark Rise To Candleford Series 3

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW you lot have been busy
    angelheart wrote: »
    I don't want to give anything away because that would be wrong of me, but the I am desperate to, otherwise you are all going to be so disappointed. He is just a V.I.P in Larkrise to Candleford world, no-one you have ever seen before or know of. Sorry, hope I don't get into trouble for that.

:cry::cry::cry:................I know, I know, he's gone, let him go:D:D

kyrsten wrote: »
    not one thing ever

i usually just sit in my room and watch tv

which explains my obsession for this show
    its kinda all i got

Well this is your 21st year K, make it count..............then in 12 months time you'll be able to have a drink to celebrate:D

LarkRiser wrote: »
    I'd be happy to pitch in too, but I don't think American dollars are worth much anymore.

I'll sell my silver thruppence and donate the proceeds:D:D
    wizzywick wrote: »

The thing is, and this is really a mundane thought, it is amazing just how much a person has achieved just by existing.

Exactly WW, just think about George Bailey in 'It's a Wonderful Life' K:)
  • Options
    savedlatinsavedlatin Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    i can't believe LRTC has only been renewed for 6 episodes!! madness... it's one of the few original and genuinely good shows that the BBC has left. no offence but why do they keep stringing out shows like New Tricks, Holby City and boring shows like that and sacrificing something as popular as Lark Rise... sad news. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savedlatin wrote: »
    i can't believe LRTC has only been renewed for 6 episodes!! madness... it's one of the few original and genuinely good shows that the BBC has left. no offence but why do they keep stringing out shows like New Tricks, Holby City and boring shows like that and sacrificing something as popular as Lark Rise... sad news. :(

I know, it's horrible! I remember reading somewhere that the BBC was taken over by some young whippersnapper who doesn't like period dramas and wants to stick with more contemporary, gritty shows. Bleah! I knew it was going to spell doom for our wonderful LRTC. Let's hope there will be enough outcry from the viewers that they will consider more episodes beyond the six we're getting next year. But by then the cast may have signed contracts to do other projects and then all will be lost! :eek:
    Okay... Must. Stay. Positive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    savedlatin wrote: »

But we don't want them to keep stringing out LRTC either SL, so it ends up like a soap..............good things come in small packages IMO:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we don't want them to keep stringing out LRTC either SL, so it ends up like a soap..............good things come in small packages IMO:D:D

This is true for many shows past and present, but here in the States one "series" (we call them seasons here) is about 22-23 episodes. So 12 episodes for one year seems like very little to me to begin with. 6 episodes would just be considered a "mini-series". I think Lark Rise would be the rare exception where "more" wouldn't end up necessarily being "bad" with the exceptional quality of the actors and writers that they have.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true for many shows past and present, but here in the States one "series" (we call them seasons here) is about 22-23 episodes. So 12 episodes for one year seems like very little to me to begin with. 6 episodes would just be considered a "mini-series". I think Lark Rise would be the rare exception where "more" wouldn't end up necessarily being "bad" with the exceptional quality of the actors and writers that they have.

Hello Sherry, hope you are well! What a wonderful evening we all had chatting last night! We should have had a party!

I agree with you about that there should be more episodes. It would have been, in my opinion, better for the BBC to commission ten episodes to make up one final series and then commit to 2 Christmas specials too. This surely would be within the cuts strategy! Mind you these young whippersnappers think they know everything!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Idlecat wrote: »

I'm busy re- reading my Flora books and I'm beginning to grasp little glimpses of the thread running through the new episodes.
    It s becoming clear that the scriptwriters HAVE studied the original scripts, some of the tableaus I had completely forgotten about.

Hannah if you're about today I was wondering how much you have read of Flora's wonderful observations, - or anyone else?

Great minds think alike! I was going to ask who had read the books and is Dorcas mentioned and if so what does happen to her? Are the books really worth reading?

I was glad that I read the credits for this coming ep. I would have been bitterly disappointed when ST did not materialise and think it far better to know now.

Well at least I think Julia said she doesn’t know the story line for series 4 so is there still hope? Otherwise I've gone right off him! He’s shirked his responsibilities as squire and left behind a beautiful young lady with a broken heart. Maybe he’s just a heel and we’re better off without him. :( :mad:
  • Options
    savedlatinsavedlatin Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I know, it's horrible! I remember reading somewhere that the BBC was taken over by some young whippersnapper who doesn't like period dramas and wants to stick with more contemporary, gritty shows. Bleah! I knew it was going to spell doom for our wonderful LRTC. Let's hope there will be enough outcry from the viewers that they will consider more episodes beyond the six we're getting next year. But by then the cast may have signed contracts to do other projects and then all will be lost! :eek:
    Okay... Must. Stay. Positive.

yes I remember reading that... what rubbish. everyone loves a good costume drama! I'm 22, and started watching it at uni as did loads of my friends, we all love it!

yes maybe if the viewing figures stay high they will reconsider.... fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hannah7 wrote: »
    Idlecat wrote: »

Great minds think alike! I was going to ask who had read the books and is Dorcas mentioned and if so what does happen to her? Are the books really worth reading?

The 1st two books Larkrise to Candleford and Heatherly are bucolic histories of late Victorian England h7, whilst Still Glides the Stream is a purely fictional account of the same period. (personally I found more connections to the series in this book than any other)
    Some characters, like Laura, Dorcas and Emma are as they are in the series (although Dorcas is not mentioned very much at all). Some, like Queenie, are made up of more than one character, but others like James Dowland are completely different (he is Emma's uncle).
    You'll recognise some things from the series in all the books, but don't expect the relationships and personal situations from the series.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Sherry, hope you are well! What a wonderful evening we all had chatting last night! We should have had a party!

I agree with you about that there should be more episodes. It would have been, in my opinion, better for the BBC to commission ten episodes to make up one final series and then commit to 2 Christmas specials too. This surely would be within the cuts strategy! Mind you these young whippersnappers think they know everything!

Hello Steve! Last evening was so much fun chatting that I admit I was so wound up I had trouble getting to sleep later that night. It was like a party! :D
    I like your idea of ten episodes for a final series and 2 Christmas specials. That would be wonderful. I really do think if they just do six they will end up commissioning at least a Christmas special or a two-hour event or something. After all, they did a Return to Cranford. Why not a Return to Lark Rise? I feel they have so many more stories to tell on this show that it would be a shame to let it end so soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I'd love more period dramas personally, not less. We usually get one every autumn/winter, two if we're lucky. I realise they're probably a lot more expensive to make than other BBC programmes but we're not exactly overflowing with quantity.

6 episodes is better than none but LRTC deserves more, not only because it's popular but because it's great, quality tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member

The 1st two books Larkrise to Candleford and Heatherly are bucolic histories of late Victorian England h7, whilst Still Glides the Stream is a purely fictional account of the same period. (personally I found more connections to the series in this book than any other)

Then I shall put it on my Christmas wish list! :) Does it still make sense without reading the others as I believe this was her last?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hannah7 wrote: »

Then I shall put it on my Christmas wish list! :) Does it still make sense without reading the others as I believe this was her last?

Oh absolutely, because it's fictional it stands on it's own very well.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I think the change is as much about scheduling priorities and politics as it is about costs. The BBC's income (not affected by commercial realities) is still huge and it seems peculiar that they would give LTC a sideways shove when it has been the bedrock of a tremendously successful alternative to Dancing On Ice on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After last nights hugely enjoyable chatathon, this thread is eerily quiet this evening!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After last nights hugely enjoyable chatathon, this thread is eerily quiet this evening!

Hi Steve! I thought you'd be fast asleep by now! Yeah, things sure have quieted down today. It's a good thing as I'm at work when it gets most active and can get in trouble for being online. Can't help myself, though! :D

Hey, if you ever want to chat off the board (or anyone else) drop me a line sometime at my email: pfigalilly@surewest.net :) I hope we can keep in touch when, sadly, the show comes to an end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Steve! I thought you'd be fast asleep by now! Yeah, things sure have quieted down today. It's a good thing as I'm at work when it gets most active and can get in trouble for being online. Can't help myself, though! :D

Hey, if you ever want to chat off the board (or anyone else) drop me a line sometime at my email: pfigalilly@surewest.net :) I hope we can keep in touch when, sadly, the show comes to an end.

I think it would be wonderful to keep in touch. I certainly will drop you an email sometime. I am just off to bed, so don't get into trouble! goodnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be wonderful to keep in touch. I certainly will drop you an email sometime. I am just off to bed, so don't get into trouble! goodnight.

No worries--I'm home now. Good night! :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok so im bored
    so i went back to read the board because i missed the start of it

angelheart wrote: »
    Oh my God, what am I doing, I'm supposed to be reading a play..this is so much more interesting, any more takers on Krysten?

i really cant believe you spent all this time guessing my age

for my theatre tech class the play i choose is "the memory of water" because of you
    now i am mad i did because the script specifically states that whenever Vi is on stage she the lights are in green
    i hate green light

geogchick wrote: »
    She's american...

Screw the play! Know anyone who'd want to play Mrs Lovett in Sweeney Todd for little money in South of Ireland this Summer :).......this question is open to anyone not just angelheart

i'll do it :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok super pissed right now

previews are on bbc
    but not on youtube so i cant see them :cry::cry:
    fml

i am really confused about next weeks episode anyways
    how could the post master in inglestone force dorcas to sell him the post office?

she doesnt need the money because we learned a few weeks ago that the post office is doing well

why cant she just tell him to piss off?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok super pissed right now

previews are on bbc
    but not on youtube so i cant see them :cry::cry:
    fml

i am really confused about next weeks episode anyways
    how could the post master in inglestone force dorcas to sell him the post office?

she doesnt need the money because we learned a few weeks ago that the post office is doing well

why cant she just tell him to piss off?

I thought that if Inglestone does take over the postal sorting duties because of the railway, it will seriously endanger the post office's income, Dorcas did say the post office was doing well but would she have enough to survive on for the rest of her life, if the business did go belly up? So because of this he thinks Dorcas will have sell in order to have enough to survive and he will gain a second business and best dorcas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemming07 wrote: »
    I thought that if Inglestone does take over the postal sorting duties because of the railway, it will seriously endanger the post office's income, Dorcas did say the post office was doing well but would she have enough to survive on for the rest of her life, if the business did go belly up? So because of this he thinks Dorcas will have sell in order to have enough to survive and he will gain a second business and best dorcas

but she also has the forge

and she seems to have alot of room
    so if she needed she could take in lodgers
    this really doesnt make sense to me

oh idk

off to class :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but she also has the forge

and she seems to have alot of room
    so if she needed she could take in lodgers
    this really doesnt make sense to me

oh idk

off to class :(

Would Candleford not become very cut off it the railway went to Inglestone though, therefore the forge wouldnt be of much use either because Candleford would become some forgotten place in the back end of no where, for the same reason would lodgers want to stay there surely they would stay in inglestone with its transport links.
    I really dont know im just guessing.

Enjoy class
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemming07 wrote: »
    Would Candleford not become very cut off it the railway went to Inglestone though, therefore the forge wouldnt be of much use either because Candleford would become some forgotten place in the back end of no where, for the same reason would lodgers want to stay there surely they would stay in inglestone with its transport links.
    I really dont know im just guessing.

Enjoy class

I think you're right, Lemming. Candleford might possibly become a ghost town if the railway came to Inglestone and took all the business with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to change the subject, but I recently was rewatching some episodes of AbFab and one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen was the one where Saffy is giving Patsy a breast exam and Gran walks by and sees them. I was laughing so hard I thought I ruptured something. Julia, how you kept a straight face doing that scene I will never know. The expressions on yours and Gran's faces were priceless! :D:D:D
    Sorry, just had to mention that. Back to our regularly scheduled program....