Options

Corrie's Ashley killed Off as Actor Was Unprofessional

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just read online that Ashley's character was chosen to be killed off as the actor was turning up late for work, drinking too much etc. and that after 14 years on the soap thought he was probably untouchable.

Wish these actors would recognise when they are on to something good and not spoil it for themselves.

Sill, they gave him a really good exit plot and I, for one was in tears.

Comments

• Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    Just read online that Ashley's character was chosen to be killed off as the actor was turning up late for work, drinking too much etc. and that after 14 years on the soap thought he was probably untouchable.

Wish these actors would recognise when they are on to something good and not spoil it for themselves.

Sill, they gave him a really good exit plot and I, for one was in tears.
    Which rag did you read that from?

Apparently Steven wanted Ashley to be killed off as he got tired of being ignored on the show (though he understood the character had run its course and he loved the exit)
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    Tbf though Ashley and Claire were on alot of axe lists. They were unpopular, dull and anything the show has tried to do with them since Fred's departure hasn't really worked except maybe the Graeme/Ashley relationship.

The writers also never knew what Claire's personality was, she was always all over the place and it just made her unwatchable because you couldn't invest in the character.

I'm sad that these two actors have lost their jobs, and I've felt sorry for Steven especially after 14 years but I'm not sad to see the back of the characters.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which rag did you read that from?

Apparently Steven wanted Ashley to be killed off as he got tired of being ignored on the show (though he understood the character had run its course and he loved the exit)

This ^^

I'm starting to wish Claire would stay around a bit to explore her life as a single parent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.orange.co.uk/entertainment/television/22606.htm?linkfrom=hp3&link=secondary_pos_2_link_title&article=101213x1700x5sec2tvstevensshockconfession

Hope this link works. If not, I read it on the orange website and their sources are The People and Sunday Mirror.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »

Having him crushed to death by tons of rubble was rather OTT for such minor misdemeanours
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbf though Ashley and Claire were on alot of axe lists. They were unpopular, dull and anything the show has tried to do with them since Fred's departure hasn't really worked except maybe the Graeme/Ashley relationship.

The writers also never knew what Claire's personality was, she was always all over the place and it just made her unwatchable because you couldn't invest in the character.

I'm sad that these two actors have lost their jobs, and I've felt sorry for Steven especially after 14 years but I'm not sad to see the back of the characters.

Agreed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame. :(

Ashley was one of my favourite characters on the show, and has been for a long time. Such a lovely character. I think it's more to do with the fact that he'd ran his course on the street and they had to get rid of some big names to make the tram crash more memorable rather than him being "fired" for showing up late, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. I heard he asked to leave because his wife has cancer and they think she's gonna die?
  • Options
    M. GambittM. Gambitt Posts: 387
    Forum Member

I'l second that. They hav'nt had much screen time either this year. Dont think they will be much of a loss but the character of ashley got a fantasic and memorable exit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the actor is doing Dancing on Ice. Look forward to seeing him again in that, if true!
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Having him crushed to death by tons of rubble was rather OTT for such minor misdemeanours

I bet it'll concentrate the minds of anyone else who is thinking of partying.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be difficult for actors when they leave a soap. What else is there for them to do?

...now that The Bill has finished.
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Lol.

The actor knew his time was up when they cut his episodes from 150 eps a year to 50 - it was nothing to do with that, they just didn't have anywhere for Ashley to go - but kept them till the 50th as they wanted a big death and they wanted it to be Ashley.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dind't he go AWOL this year though, right before fiming?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be difficult for actors when they leave a soap. What else is there for them to do?

...now that The Bill has finished.

Strictly Come Dancing or I'm a Celebrity, next year. Mark my words.
    You read it here first! :D
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D I like it:)
  • Options
    Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Sorry......but as someone who taught acting to youngsters from 5 years of age up to adults for over 35 years I have say that I have always found Steven Arnold's acting to be very wooden and very unconvincing! He was able to play the part to a reasonable standard when he was young - a daft but likeable young man making his way in his dad's butcher shop however this did not work as he grew older! Certainly, poor story-lines haven't helped him but I know if I had been production he would have been one of the first to go!!! However, he will do well in Pantos, reality shows etc for a while!!
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dropping the actor from 150 episodes a year to 50 a couple of years ago probably had something to do with it.
  • Options
    emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dind't he go AWOL this year though, right before fiming?

It would appear so although this article is from 2007!

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a64753/weatherfield-actor-goes-awol.html?locale
  • Options
    skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    Strictly Come Dancing or I'm a Celebrity, next year. Mark my words.
    You read it here first! :D

I read they were both doing Dancing on Ice - no idea how true that is!
    To a point if the article is true - if I was Julia I'd be suing for unfair dissmissal! I know Claire doesn't have many fans, but she could have stayed on the street. Redeveloped the character etc.

I liked them both! :)

Steph
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere the the actor has quit acting. that is why he wanted ashley to be killed off.
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I read somewhere the the actor has quit acting. that is why he wanted ashley to be killed off.

Nope - he got axed - but was happy he has because he was dropped from 150 eps a year to 50.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an interview with Steven Arnold in the NOTW on Sunday. He said that he was relieved to be told that Ashley was being written out as he had had his episodes dropped from 150 a year to 50 meaning he only worked 4 months of the year. He knew it was on the cards and they admitted they had ran out of ideas for his character.

He is a method actor and it was his idea to give Ashley a squeaky high pitched voice - in real life Steven has a deep voice. He molded Ashley on Granville from Open All Hours.

He admitted to boozing before filming due to depression. Also, as a method actor, when Ashley had to be drunk (which he was very recently when he stayed at Tina and Graeme's), he actually went to the pub across the road and drank two pints help him play being bladdered.

He was honoured to be the big character killed off and says he will always love Corrie.

Very nice interview I thought.
  • Options
    MuteBananaMuteBanana Posts: 3,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he was going, I preferred that exit to the one rumoured with regards to Dev and Sunita's boy.

To have two long standing characters leave under a cloud of controversy after having their reputations dragged through the mud. With Claire being thought of as a child abuser and Ashley having his friends turn on them really didn't sit right with me.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. I heard he asked to leave because his wife has cancer and they think she's gonna die?

That'd be novel. I'm pretty sure he has never married.