Capital FM Network

Comments

• boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and think Foxy is someone their parents or grandparents listen to on Magic (and even then, only if they're in London)
    But might still associate him with the Pepsi Chart...
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say now that voice over "capital is coming" is starting to get annoying now.Thats when i tune in of course.

Oh you wait until its between every song like it was when Invicta changed to Heart.

Shame they didnt let Galaxy run up to Christmas and get to play archived yuletide jingles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »
    Yep, they are changing them all.

Galaxy Yorkshire has been like this for a number of weeks now.

Though I did notice last week 105.8 was sounding 'normal' for a couple of days, then went back to the tinny, headache creating sound we now have to get accustomed too. (and I'm not refering to the msuic :p)

So someone in L Sq has been messing with the Alba HiFi in the broom cupboard again? Preset EQ must now be on POP and the BASS BOOST has been switched off? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »
    But might still associate him with the Pepsi Chart...

Pepsi Chart?

Yank it, Crank It and Rip it off boywonder!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy, Capital, Heart haven't had news after 7pm for a couple of years now. The news requirements are for peak times (6am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm) as far as I know, someone correct me if I'm wrong though!

Non-Stop music, no presenter? Are you sure?

I noticed that last week listening in the car on the Kent MUX, South Coast Feed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that last week listening in the car on the Kent MUX, South Coast Feed.

It was quite strange, especially as Will Smith was on Monday morning. I reckon he didn't make it because of the snow or something, and it was decided to make it nonstop music, rather than getting someone in to cover.

Does anyone know when Will finishes? 4am as it says on the schedule with Greg taking over, or 6am when breakfast kicks in?
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not think of that.The bad weather could have been the problem esp at night when even the main roads became skating rings.I must admit i loved galaxy and will miss it and despite the fact i hate the tight playlist i keep tuning in :D.I did not know about the news as like i say i dont normally listen but have started too thanks for the info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Yup. you read my mind.

Tarrant on breakfast getting paid over a million for little more than linking the service element clutter and talking up that day's chance to win some money or whatever and going 'CEEEEEAPPIDALLLLL' a lot, yet listened to in droves by the London public. In my mind's eye I imagined him rolling in unshaven 10 mins before his show having done no prep whatsoever and maybe just a producer minion giving him a few tabloid clips to keep him going.

The there was Foxy on drive waxing lyrical about loving life in London. As well he should, given the money he was on for his 3 hour drive show. And anyway, did he not commute in and out from a large mansion n rural Hampshire? Then there was (and maybe once again is) Richard Park dishing out random bollockings to any jock unfortunate enough to pass him in the corridor and sacking people by flashing red cards in their face.

That's what Capital means to me, although I may not be typical.

Foxy lived in Chelsea, not exactly Hamsphire, Parky only used the red card once and only bollocked people in his office and Tarrant changed breakfast radio for everybody. Things have changed and time moves on - but that was of the moment.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecastle wrote: »
    Parky only used the red card once.

Ah yes.

The old legend has it that Pat Sharp learned he was fired when Park showed him a red card as he hosted his show.

In fact that story has been tarted up quite a bit.

The red card was at Pat's farewell lunch.

It was not done maliciously.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then there was (and maybe once again is) Richard Park dishing out random bollockings to any jock unfortunate enough to pass him in the corridor and sacking people by flashing red cards in their face.

That's what Capital means to me, although I may not be typical.

Sounds as horrible to work for as to listen to. Mean feat as that would be.
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes.

The old legend has it that Pat Sharp learned he was fired when Park showed him a red card as he hosted his show.

In fact that story has been tarted up quite a bit.

The red card was at Pat's farewell lunch.

It was not done maliciously.

Considering he had just effictively been fired, I'm sure Pat would have found that hilarious.

Park is renowned for his bullying antics, personally I've always found him to be quite charming... but I know plenty of people who've ended up on the wrong side of him.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Ofcom proabably do know about this and thats the problem.What i want to know is whats happening at the moment.
    1. They have no news after 7pm are they allowed to do that.
    2. I noticed last night it was non stop music all night with no dj is that how its going to be now or is it due to change over or xmas etc.Maybe someone will know cheers.
    It was galaxy yorkshire i was listening to via DAB

Will was 10-1 so there was no one 1-4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    As far as I can remember, Capital London went through a period about 3 months ago of playing a tiny bit more varied music - the like of Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Noisettes etc. made a swift comback to the playlist. Although these songs may not have been immensely varied from the standard playlist, it did make Capital a bit more bearable to listen to knowing that you weren't going to get Travie McCoy and Tinie Tempah once an hour!! I think the 3rd Jan will tell all. Any idea when the networked schedules (evenings/overnights and weekends) ans the local weekend schedule will be announced?
    One thing that really has annoyed me is that there is hardly any, if any, Christmas music on Capital!! Even the sweepers and jingles don't even mention Christmas!! No point turning to them to spread some festive cheer...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Parky only bollocked people in his office.

Now that's not true at all.

As we always used to say - it's not that Parky doesn't realise people have feelings. It's just that he doesn't care.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    RadioFreak wrote: »
    As far as I can remember, Capital London went through a period about 3 months ago of playing a tiny bit more varied music - the like of Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Noisettes etc. made a swift comback to the playlist. Although these songs may not have been immensely varied from the standard playlist, it did make Capital a bit more bearable to listen to knowing that you weren't going to get Travie McCoy and Tinie Tempah once an hour!! I think the 3rd Jan will tell all. Any idea when the networked schedules (evenings/overnights and weekends) ans the local weekend schedule will be announced?
    One thing that really has annoyed me is that there is hardly any, if any, Christmas music on Capital!! Even the sweepers and jingles don't even mention Christmas!! No point turning to them to spread some festive cheer...

Same as always though, they like to pretend Christmas isn't happening.
  • steve wsteve w Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »
    I've mentioned this already, more than once I know. But the audio really does sound awfull.
    It is tinny. If you are driving around and you have the volume turned up, after a while my head starts to bang.

I completely agree, Galaxy North East sounds just as bad since they changed it and i can no longer listen to it loud in the car without getting a headache. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve w wrote: »
    I completely agree, Galaxy North East sounds just as bad since they changed it and i can no longer listen to it loud in the car without getting a headache. :mad:

I guess they've changed from a Dance/RnB style sound to a CHR/Pop style setting. So, erm, a lot less bass then.

What seems to have completely passed the 'experts' at Global by, is the fact that a great deal of 'pop' currently has a massive bottom end. Mainly because it's derived from urban or dance music, so all the new settings will do is rob the music of it's body.

Still, never mind that, they've got an exciting video of Roberto meeting the 'Stars'. Errrm...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sssscreeeeaaam if you wanna go faster!

Playing out of the little speakers on my laptop, it sounds almost exactly like the FM processing.

Just out of interest, is there any point to that video... other than to induce motion sickness?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member

"96-106 Capital FM". Isn't the frequency range a bit, er, broad to reference it in those terms?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W4Cable wrote: »
    "96-106 Capital FM". Isn't the frequency range a bit, er, broad to reference it in those terms?

Are you suggesting their branding strategy may not be entirely water tight? ;)
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W4Cable wrote: »

It will never be called that on air. Normally the DJs will just call it Capital or, in local hours, eg "103.2 Capital FM".
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, is there any point to that video... other than to induce motion sickness?

I guess they'll use it in their presentations to media buyers to show how vast and all-conquering the new network is.

I'm intrigued by the East Midlands section. Firstly, I have no clue where the hell the Tripods-style pylons and big wheel are supposed to be (anyone??), or how they represent the East Midlands, and secondly, the slogan "East Midland's [sic] No 1 Hit Music Station" doesn't work - not only in the badly punctuated version in this video, but also in the logo they've released with the apostrophe in the right place. There's no such place as "East Midlands" or "Midlands" - it needs the definite article before it. If it is "The North East's" or "The South Coast's" Hit Music Station, why isn't it "The East Midlands'"??
  • boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foxy lived in Chelsea.
    And drove into work on his Harley. I don't know if he still still has it or not, but he loved that bike to bits.
    As we always used to say - it's not that Parky doesn't realise people have feelings. It's just that he doesn't care.
    If you are in his good books, he is fine. If you piss him off though, watch out...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »
    If you are in his good books, he is fine. If you piss him off though, watch out...

I find it hard to believe he can get away with being such a bully these days, people are much more savvy about their rights in the workplace.

Anyway, I thought all those bad moods were down to a little too much of the old showbiz lifestyle. I'd imagine he's a bit too old for that now.
This discussion has been closed.