contemporary ETIQUETTE re Skype/Phone living in quiet v small space

biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... what is the contemporary etiquette for 2 people living in a relatively quiet very small space, when one of the two is broadcasting one side of a conversation with someone via Skype/phone?

It's a bit like living with ghosts that only the other person can hear or speak with :)

Shouldn't the virtual guests sometimes be made audible more like real guests in the room, so that at least then *both sides* of the conversation can be heard, enjoyed and joined in with perhaps :) Any thoughts? ...

Comments

• sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I don't regard it as different from a phone call.

You wouldn't necessarily expect to hear the other side of that.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with sadoldbird, surely it's just the same as if they were making a phone call? If they're having the conversation in the same room as you then I can see that might be annoying in the same way it would be if they were on the phone.

I see no reason why you should be allowed to hear the other side tho.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want everyone in the room to hear the conversation, put the speaker function on on your phone if you have one.

If using Skype, have the sound come out the computer speakers rather than headphones.

Easy.
  • biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a small space, one that is usually quiet, no tv, no radio, hearing just one side of a conversation for an hour and a half is challenging I think :)

When we have real guests here, then any conversation is open and hear-able, enjoyable and join-in-able to all of us. Why is Skype or phones different?
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's the same as phone etiquette. You would not sit in a small room for 90 minutes having a phone conversation and ignoring someone actually there in the room, especially when presumably they are trying to get on with something themselves. You would take the phone elsewhere.

I'd be pissed off if my roommate carried out long conversations on Skype like that. Short calls would be ok.