Options

I think it is unreasonable for flatmate to run bath at 5.30 am and wake me

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,021
    Forum Member
    biomorph04 wrote: »
    ... my flatmate is very often up during the night and there have been 3 mornings this week where he has woken me by running a bath at 5am or 5.30am.

I think this is an unreasonable time to run a bath, am I right?

Sometimes he has fragmented my sleep during the night and it might take an hour or two before I start to fall asleep again, and just as I do there's suddenly a bath running at 5.

Just ask him if he wouldnt mind having his bath a bit later. If the earliest he has to leave is 7.30 there is no reasonable explanation for him running a bath at 5 or 5.30. Unless he is a complete moron I am sure he will be okay about it. Oh and yes, I believe you are right to be annoyed about it and want to do something abouti t.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My same flat-mate, who i mentioned earlier..no surprise I no longer life with her...also used to go to sleep in her room, with the window open, without closing her bedroom door.

She must have been a heavy sleeper as it never bothered her, but the sound, constantly of 'creeeeeeeeeeek bsh!....creeeeeeeeeek bsh!.....creeeeeeeeeeeek bsh!' as her door moved in the wind and knocked against the door frame and back again constantly, annoyed the hell out of me'

I did used to go and close it myself, but being woken up at 1am to have to do that night after night is irritating. And yes, I did say to her about it. Yet the next night, usually..

creeeeeeeeeek-bsh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    You both need to compromise OP.
    You need to invest in some ear plugs then have a chat with him and let him know that his early morning baths are waking you up and could he keep the noise to a minimum, he may not be aware of how noisy he is being.
    If that doesn't work then may i suggest a strong dose of opiates before bed time, doesn't matter whether you take them or he does, either way your both going to sleep soundly!!! ;)
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Too much, do you think?

Oh aye, most certainly.

I would have just started with the ears or hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    My same flat-mate, who i mentioned earlier..no surprise I no longer life with her...also used to go to sleep in her room, with the window open, without closing her bedroom door.

She must have been a heavy sleeper as it never bothered her, but the sound, constantly of 'creeeeeeeeeeek bsh!....creeeeeeeeeek bsh!.....creeeeeeeeeeeek bsh!' as her door moved in the wind and knocked against the door frame and back again constantly, annoyed the hell out of me'

I did used to go and close it myself, but being woken up at 1am to have to do that night after night is irritating. And yes, I did say to her about it. Yet the next night, usually..

creeeeeeeeeek-bsh!

I used to have next door neighbours who had a wind chime in the garden so close to my bedroom. I hated that constant never ending tinkly sound - it drove me completely round the bend! I never had the courage to say anything.

I was sooooo soooooo glad when they moved!
  • Options
    ninianbluebirdninianbluebird Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... my flatmate is very often up during the night and there have been 3 mornings this week where he has woken me by running a bath at 5am or 5.30am.

Welcome to the wonderful world of shared accommodation. Im guessing your flatmate either works early or works late and has a bath before bed. At least he's hygienic and not lazy.

You are wrong and out of order.
    Sometimes he has fragmented my sleep during the night and it might take an hour or two before I start to fall asleep again, and just as I do there's suddenly a bath running at 5.

Thats tough luck. These are things you should consider before moving into accommodation with other people. I am currently at uni and sharing with 7 others. Some nights they come in 4am in the morning after a night out at the union or the town and I don't complain because somewhere down the line i'll be doing something late whether its watching the boxing with mates or going out myself and so forth. Thats part of life, you just need to deal with it.

Take some light sleeping pills to be honest to get a deeper sleep. The ones with melatonin in. I take them now and again if I stay up to watch the boxing I have them on the Sunday night before a lecture ;) Funnily enough, I'm watching the Khan fight tonight.
  • Options
    ninianbluebirdninianbluebird Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quinie wrote: »
    Baths can be loud when running - and I wouldn't want to be woken up that early.

However, it's his home too!

Why don't you get him to attach one of those cheapy hair washing rubber hose thingies to the taps when he is running the bath..

.. that way he can still run the water at full pelt but it will come out at the end of the hose which he can lay in the bath - this will stop the long drop from the taps to the bottom of the bath which is what is waking you up.

I think that's a good solution! When I had to run a bath early in my house I use the shower attachment on the taps - the difference in sound is amazing - and the bath runs just as quickly.

... of course you may still have to stop him singing in the bath if he is so inclined!!! :)

Just got a patent on this idea. Just writing up a business plan for Dragons Den. Maybe add a technological side to it as well which measures the depth of you bar as the water rises up along the attachment. Thats what i've included in the patent anyway. It also electrocutes you if you sing for longer than 25 seconds.

Thanks for the idea though, might make me a lot of money.

I called it ButtonedUp Bathing. :cool:
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    The best housemate I've ever had was this insane girl who was incapable of returning from a night out without bursting into my room and jumping all over me until I woke up. Despite this flaw, I let her get away with it as the positives outweighed the negatives. If it was anyone else, I'd have slammed their head through the wall. :D

Did you ? tell us more...sounds like an adventure I had with a girl staying in the spare room (for a week) who used to quietly turn my bedroom door handle in the night,,,,
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    The best housemate I've ever had was this insane girl who was incapable of returning from a night out without bursting into my room and jumping all over me until I woke up. Despite this flaw, I let her get away with it as the positives outweighed the negatives

The positives-do they relate to what happened once she had woken you up.....?;)
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a bath or shower before work. You're just going to have to put up with it or do the hose thing. I usually have my shower at 6am but if I need to go to work earlier than usually it can be anything up to 5:30. If somebody dared to tell me I was being unreasonable I would, honestly, most likely give them a verbal ripping. I deserve to wash myself before work.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair (I feel like I'm on Jeremy Kyle now I've started a sentence with that), the noise of a bath running can be quite loud, especially when the water first hits the porcelain. And the walls in flats can be quite thin. Have a word with him, see if it's possible for him to have a shower instead, as that would at least be quieter?

Showers and baths are just as loud - the water of a shower is usually running for longer.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    What is it with people saying 'anything earlier than 7am is unreasonable'. If the bloke has to get up very early (in his own home) for work, then it isn't unreasonable! FFS! Get real.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why cant the noisy bather take a late night bath . why does he need to be clean at 6 am :confused::confused:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No ~ next question.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Facetiousness aside, just talk to the guy. Perhaps ask him to run the bath without having the taps on full pelt, or perhaps you can swap rooms so you aren't next to the bathroom. In the grand scheme of things, having a flatmate who needs to get up earlier than you is not the worst thing in the world.

I have to get up early and OH does not, he often gets in late after I've gone to bed so we've had to work out a system for this bath noise business!

If you have a shower attachment on your taps then simply run the water through that instead directly from the tap, it's almost silent.

Works for us..............
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a light sleeper myself, I know how frustrating it can be to be woken up in the night, when it is often tricky to get back to sleep. Heavy sleepers often don't believe or understand how easily we are woken, or how getting straight back to sleep isn't given.

However, if you live in shared accommodation, or have neighbours, they are entitled to go about their every day business, and having a shower/bath is a reasonable thing to do.

Communication is the key. Ideally, you should be discussing this sort of thing before you pick a flat-mate, but once you are in a situation where your normal lifestyles are clashing, you need to find a compromise. At the very least, make sure that your flat-mate understands that you are being woken, and ask if they could take up the various suggestions given to make running the bath quieter, and possibly wait until a bit later to have it.

If I have an early start, I often have my shower the night before, but that suits me, because going to be early won't mean I get to sleep any earlier, so it makes sense for me to shave time off my morning routine.

I've also been on the other end, being accused of being unreasonably noisy in the morning, from someone who claimed to 10 hours sleep a night. No matter how quiet I was, and with their bedroom sandwiched between the bathroom and kitchen, they were apparently disturbed. IMO, if you go to bed at 10:30 and are being woken up at 8:00 by the sound of the toaster, then you've probably had enough sleep.

My point being that whatever it is that disturbs your sleep, you will find it annoying, and it takes a conscious effort to be reasonable about it. There are things we'd prefer did not happen, but that doesn't make them unreasonable.

If your flatmate understands how annoying it is for you, and you offer a compromise to help them make less noise (such as you producing the mixer pipe), they will be much more receptive to making an effort. But as others have said, the risk of raising niggles with a flatmate is that they might raise a few back again. Be prepared to hear those and act on them if you want your flatmate to act on your concerns.
  • Options
    ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear strange noises around 7am every morning. Sorta Beep Beep Beep. Always disturbing my sleep. I tend to ignore them. I find the 'sleep' between getting disturbed and actually getting out of bed is the best of the night. hmmmmm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I am up early for work too and always have a bath at night and shower in the morning. If it annoys anyone else tough shit. I refuse to go to work unwashed! As you are obviously awake then why don't you just get up then too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    I am up early for work too and always have a bath at night and shower in the morning. If it annoys anyone else tough shit. I refuse to go to work unwashed! As you are obviously awake then why don't you just get up then too?

Do you live alone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Lol no.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    He's only awake because he's woken up by the noise.

Are you saying that he should just miss out on his sleep - what if the other person woke him up at 2am, should he just get up from then onwards too?

Edit - people saying 'earplugs' - I've used them (several types) - they don't work and they can hurt!
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earplugs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Edit - people saying 'earplugs' - I've used them (several types) - they don't work and they can hurt!
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Earplugs

On the odd occasion I have tried plugs, they never seem to cut out the dull noises. Like thuds etc. Useless for me. Luckily everyone in my house has respect for others, so usually tip toe around if they are up late or early.