Options

Home of the Future (Channel 4 12/02/12 )

Comments

• Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Anyone else worried that bosses will abuse that robot thing to monitor staff all the bloody time, rather than use it just for meetings?

Not really seeing as they were so awful no boss in their right mind would buy one.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just one question - how much does that 3D printer cost?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star trek replicator maybe :cool:
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »

Many many thousands I would imagine.

But give it a couple of years and Currys will be knocking them out for £50
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Not really seeing as they were so awful no boss in their right mind would buy one.

First generation. They will improve if there is a market. I can see them being useful for some types of meeting, but the last thing I want when I'm trying to concentrate at work is a mobile Eye of Sauron whirring past every five minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't you end up finding those beads in all your nooks and crannies? How do you get them out of your clothes at the end of the wash cycle?
  • Options
    Forum Member

They are OK if you have a decent amount of space at home, but many of our homes are so pokey that we'd probably have to use the one at the local supermarket, or wherever they put them (post office?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched Minority Report this afternoon at Mazzy Towers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate to break it to Joel, but the chances of things like Mezzanine being used by MI5 are very remote. I bet they are are limited to Windows XP and IE6, though they may have moved to IE8 by now. Getting security accreditation for things takes forever, if you can get it at all.

More likely to be used by startups, design, marketing and advertising firms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We watched Minority Report this afternoon at Mazzy Towers.

Love that film. I worked on technology similar to that showed (the user interface parts) about 3 years before the film was released. It was a lot more clunky than the stuff in the film :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you can order a bath via phone, but does it clean itself? That's the time-consuming part!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Can it be used to print 3D printers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member

They're not that expensive, you can already get Makerbot ones for a couple of thousand dollars or so i think. But you have to be able to assemble it yourself, and I think it's slightly more complicated than a Billy bookcase

And Gomezz, yes, they can: //http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285

The family are great, I can see why they were chosen for the programme. A very telegenic bunch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    the daughter mia i think her name is,, she's very pretty
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Anyone else worried that bosses will abuse that robot thing to monitor staff all the bloody time, rather than use it just for meetings?
    I wonder whether it would right itself if you punched it in its silly face. :mad:
  • Options
    Trains123Trains123 Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Found the second episode really boring. Watched the entire episode in 5 minutes on 4OD.

Also, some of the gadgets featured are not really essential things; some of them are novelty and some of the stuff already exist. For example, you can monitor your employees using spy cameras and spy software installed on computers. This is not groundbreaking stuff. The only good to come out of the show for the family at least is thatbthey've seen their home completely modernised and given some free gadgets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trains123 wrote: »
    Found the second episode really boring. Watched the entire episode in 5 minutes on 4OD.

Also, some of the gadgets featured are not really essential things; some of them are novelty and some of the stuff already exist. For example, you can monitor your employees using spy cameras and spy software installed on computers. This is not groundbreaking stuff. The only good to come out of the show for the family at least is thatbthey've seen their home completely modernised and given some free gadgets.

The point of the robot was to provide a physical presence in the office and at meetings. It's sold as being the closest thing to being there that you can get without actually being there. It's not actually intended to be used for spying (as you say, there are already more covert ways of doing that), but I suspect that some bosses would use it to intimidate their staff when they can't be there in person to 'manage' them.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit boring so far.
  • Options
    peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the mind control guy previously on the Apprentice?
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the mind control guy previously on the Apprentice?
    That's what they said
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Underpants designed by chemical warfare scientists :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spray on clothing? Hmm, not so good if you look like a partially deflated space hopper.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spray on clothes? Ouch!
    Imaging trying to peel that off if it sticks to your body hair. :eek:

(and, all you need is some joker going round spraying people with the solvent)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Spray on clothes? Ouch!
    Imaging trying to peel that off if it sticks to your body hair. :eek:

(and, all you need is some joker going round spraying people with the solvent)

Like papps trying to get revealing shots of celebrities? Yep, they would love this sort of thing.