Options

Benefits Street: C4 6th Jan 9pm

Comments

• Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was fungui squatting in that house or renting it? The state it was in if he was actually renting was appalling.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Instead of trotting out the same childish argument time and time again, why dont you come up with some constructive feedback as how to best help the people shown in this program?

There's a lot of whinging on this thread about how unfairly these people are being portrayed but very little in the way of constructive debate.

Well I don't really see much way to help them if none of them want to work?

Quite a few of them need something to get their houses sorted out, i.e clean and tidy. The young couple need a kick up the arse because it's quite evident none of them have the desire to work and make a better life for their kids.

I think what most of them need is some kind of job trial, a compulsory one. If my business was located close id take a few as I've done with a few people who grew up on the estate I grew up on and they've changed, or at least started to change, their lives.

Money for nothing doesn't inspire a need to work, getting more on benefits than they will get at work doesn't inspire a need to work. That they will live in a house with things wrong with it because the council will come and repair it for nothing doesnt inspire a need to work. I think a 70/30 approach of hard, unlikeable tactics mixed with a bit of friendly help, getting their houses clean and fixed on the condition they attend a one/two week work trial, would do them good.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    essyol wrote: »
    Hmm, you remind me of a long-dead Austrian with a neat black 'tash whose views correlated with yours. He caused quite a rumpus back in the day. I believe 'Great' Britain and our allies lost thousands of men fighting, in part, so that his rancid views didn't sweep across the world. Yet here those views are, alive and well and appearing on Digital Spy Forums in 2014

Agreed, it is sad that people still think like this
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really hope her modelling career happens

The problem is that, unless you become successful very quickly, being a model is very difficult, as the work is erratic and thus completely messes up any benefits. Coming on and of benefits when working freelance is an absolute nightmare especially housing benefit. Modelling is also very poorly paid for the most part and can require a model to travel to shows, filmshoots, etc...difficult to do if you have young children. Most successful models start their careers when they are 17/18; it is much more difficult to get in to when someone is in their 20's.

Kudos to her for wanting to work and have a career but she would be better off trying to get a permanent job in, say, the beauty industry.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took his comment about being with his sibling to mean they had also adopted another of his children but now thinking on it why wouldn't he want to see that child too? So maybe it's a half brother or sister, same mum and he allowed her new partner to adopt his son.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think throwing endless amounts of money at them solves the problem either, but the gov't should not be 'cutting' benefits. It will only make desperate people more desperate and widen the gap even further. Taking money away from those who already have so little doesn't get at the real problem, but it does get votes by pandering to the 'us against them' brigade.

Are all benefits being cut though, as against people having benefits cut because they're a) deemed fit and able to work if on disability or b) have had benefits cut because they previously claimed money to which they're NOT entitled to - and must therefore pay it back?

And the cap, which has led to the talk about the non-existent 'bedroom tax' is on quite a significant amount of money. £26k a year or something is it not? Many people in work aren't getting anywhere near that, and have to pay rent, gas, electric, food, travel out of their taxed income.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I took his comment about being with his sibling to mean they had also adopted another of his children but now thinking on it why wouldn't he want to see that child too? So maybe it's a half brother or sister, same mum and he allowed her new partner to adopt his son.

I'm thinking it would be along those lines as it didn't seem to make any sense for him to receive a call out of the blue from the family. He would have been called by the adoption agency surely?

Also, I doubt that complete strangers who just happened to adopt his son would want contact with the biological father regardless of his situation.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Love it that im a troll because I cant stand the lazy waste of spaces, and im nothing like those freaks on twitter, do not compare how I look to them, I just want attention, jog on.To the others im not a snob about people on benefits at all, its when the low lives act as if they are owed a living,getting money from us workers to sit on their lazy arses smoking, drinking, texting etc, At 61 my mother was made redundant and for 6months signed on, and even if she wanted to she couldnt afford to blow money on luxuries, I stand by what I say though they are a drain on our resources and need culling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having just read some of their other posts I think it's fair to say the only thing real about that FM is their need for attention. :D

Meaning? Get over yourself, just because I dont agree with you
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Meaning? Get over yourself, just because I dont agree with you
    Right, so you're saying you genuinely want to wipe out people and their offspring? Yeah course you do. Talk about a cry for attention.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that if any comparison were to take place, then the Royal family would be shown to be worth the expense what with the tourism it brings here for a start.
    It is only by accident of birth that the situation isn't reversed. I see no logic in this rather tired argument. Besides - with regard to tourism - as far as I'm concerned they benefit London only - or places they have royal residences.
    In general, they work harder than most of us and they get little choice in what they do or where they go.
    The only people who agree with this must have very, very easy jobs themselves and have a 100% fear of travelling.
    I can't see White Dee putting in the hours that the Queen does, can you?
    I've never watched Benefits Street (if I did - I'd look at it for what it is - 100% pure fiction). Its an added bonus for the program makers (and no doubt this government) that the largely DM readers who watch this program treat it like 100% pure fact.

From what I have READ of this White Dee person - she had a tendancy for criminal activity when she was working - so being on benefits has absolutely NOTHING to do with her behaviour now. It is possible to be in employment and be a crook you know! I suppose White Dee is a sort of down-market Nick Leeson!

This show's makers must be overjoyed at the gullibility of its audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it that im a troll because I cant stand the lazy waste of spaces, and im nothing like those freaks on twitter, do not compare how I look to them, I just want attention, jog on.To the others im not a snob about people on benefits at all, its when the low lives act as if they are owed a living,getting money from us workers to sit on their lazy arses smoking, drinking, texting etc, At 61 my mother was made redundant and for 6months signed on, and even if she wanted to she couldnt afford to blow money on luxuries, I stand by what I say though they are a drain on our resources and need culling

But your comments just make it impossible for normal people to raise similar concerns without being tarred with the same brush.

I do think some people on benefits need 'tough love' and I do think some should give up the **** and booze when both can be a huge drain on limited funds. I know I'd struggle to smoke, and however hard it is to give up smoking it isn't impossible. But I don't suggest killing them! FFS what a ridiculous overreaction.

Your words about culling are just stupid, but typical of someone sitting behind a keyboard that would never dare say such things in public. I suspect you don't mean it though, and if you were posting under your real name and people knew who you were, you'd never dare say such things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never watched Benefits Street (if I did - I'd look at it for what it is - 100% pure fiction). Its an added bonus for the program makers (and no doubt this government) that the largely DM readers who watch this program treat it like 100% pure fact.

Why post in a thread when you've not watched the programme and are basing your opinion on, erm, well nothing?

It might not be representative of everyone on benefits (it can't be - not everyone would agree to be on the show) but how can you possibly suggest it's 100% pure fiction?

The people in the programme are real. They might be acting up at times for the camera, but I doubt that makes any of what you see overall a total work of fiction.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I gave you a gun would you shoot them ?
    If I gave you a noose would you hang them ?
    If I gave you a gas chamber would you gas them ?
    Have come across people like you before and it's all words and hot air.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must be getting old. The school holidays always catch me by surprise these days. Unless of course this is a grown adult posting such tripe?

Nah. Can't be.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spotted another two potentials in last nights episode who imo are set to make a go of things.

White Dee's daughter who now has a work experience at a local Gym and the young black mother SD trying to get into modelling, a very difficult business but she certainly has the looks and good for her taking on a job in a sandwich bar.

Somehow i think both these young ladies will make something of themselves. SD in particular came across as a well mannered and a decent young lady and White Dee would do well to follow the example her daughter is setting!
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member

They send text messages!!!!!! On the taxpayer's teat!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

You'll be telling me they have SkyTV and flatscreen tellies next!!!!!>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member

I've never watched Benefits Street (if I did - I'd look at it for what it is - 100% pure fiction).

it's not 100% fact but it's neither 100% fiction. We all know what goes on with 'some' benefits claimers, it's not exactly anything we didn't already know about.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    It is only by accident of birth that the situation isn't reversed. I see no logic in this rather tired argument. Besides - with regard to tourism - as far as I'm concerned they benefit London only - or places they have royal residences.

The only people who agree with this must have very, very easy jobs themselves and have a 100% fear of travelling.

From what I have READ of this White Dee person - she had a tendancy for criminal activity when she was working - so being on benefits has absolutely NOTHING to do with her behaviour now. It is possible to be in employment and be a crook you know! I suppose White Dee is a sort of down-market Nick Leeson!

This show's makers must be overjoyed at the gullibility of its audience.

How ironic. Criticising stereotyping by others.....by stereotyping readers of a particular national newspaper yourself :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    But your comments just make it impossible for normal people to raise similar concerns without being tarred with the same brush.

I do think some people on benefits need 'tough love' and I do think some should give up the **** and booze when both can be a huge drain on limited funds. I know I'd struggle to smoke, and however hard it is to give up smoking it isn't impossible. But I don't suggest killing them! FFS what a ridiculous overreaction.

Your words about culling are just stupid, but typical of someone sitting behind a keyboard that would never dare say such things in public. I suspect you don't mean it though, and if you were posting under your real name and people knew who you were, you'd never dare say such things.

You obviously dont know me Jon boy, "I wouldnt dare", lol.pm me and we can have a little chat, ill happily tell u my real name, couldnt give a rats arse to be honest
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    Surely the council would have to repair Fungi's house if it is in that bad state of disrepair.
    I think these houses are private rentals, not council. And if he doesn't tell the landlord about the problems, how would they know (of course if he caused them himself he'd have to repair them himself and will possibly get evicted)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked for a local authority (Housing & Social Services) many years ago, I can tell you that council tenants would not hesitate to phone up and claim that all of the things in Fungi's home 'just happened by themselves' and expect the taxpayer to fix it.

Yeah, the sink just fell off the wall.. The door came off its hinges... he living room just caught fire after we set up a barbecue in the front room...

These days, if a council refused to fix all of those things, they'd be lambasted on social media for being uncaring.

I wonder if the landlord was aware of the state of the place (presumably is now)? Maybe not caring if Fungi wasn't actually phoning up to complain about anything not working - and still getting the rent from the Government.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The housing benefit is paid to tenant , not the landlord . That is why there are so many people in arrears now. They take the HB , spend It on booze and **** , and then complain when the landlord cormes around asking for the rent .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The housing benefit is paid to tenant , not the landlord . That is why there are so many people in arrears now. They take the HB , spend It on booze and **** , and then complain when the landlord cormes around asking for the rent .

Sorry, badly worded on my part. I meant that if the landlord was still getting paid then s/he wouldn't be too bothered if the tenant wasn't.

Presumably the landlord wouldn't be too worried about the state of the place until the tenant wanted to move out, which is probably not likely to happen anytime soon. Sure, there's a tenancy agreement but some landlords are probably perfectly happy to have these types of people in there if they can spend bugger all on the place.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Having worked for a local authority (Housing & Social Services) many years ago, I can tell you that council tenants would not hesitate to phone up and claim that all of the things in Fungi's home 'just happened by themselves' and expect the taxpayer to fix it.

Yeah, the sink just fell off the wall.. The door came off its hinges... he living room just caught fire after we set up a barbecue in the front room...

These days, if a council refused to fix all of those things, they'd be lambasted on social media for being uncaring.

I wonder if the landlord was aware of the state of the place (presumably is now)? Maybe not caring if Fungi wasn't actually phoning up to complain about anything not working - and still getting the rent from the Government.

If the council provides badly built poor quality houses and flats what are you to do? Thank them for their incompetence?